• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Best 308

Re: Best 308

yes. go buy one.

Done.

Thank me later.
mad.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: swordfish</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the Remington 5R the best 308 for the price ?
What do you recommend ? </div></div>
You have asked one of the ultimate in vague questions. If you really want intelligent answers you are going to have to answer these (and more) questions first.

Best rifle for what price?
What is your rifle budget?

What are your intentions with this rifle?
Are you going to shoot it from the bench?
3 position NRA High Power match shooting?
Stalking deer / hogs through heavy brush with it?
Tactical Matches?
Carrying it in your truck?

What features do you want this rifle to have?
Do you want the box to say "Remington 5R"?
Do you want a quick, user friendly switch barrel system so you can have both long and short barrels as well as barrels for different calibers?

Are you going to leave this rifle un-molested as it comes from the factory?
Or are you going to send it to a gunsmith to have accurizing work done?
If you don't know, sending your rifle to a gunsmith means your rifle budget just went through the roof.
Do you want to keep the standard Remington style extractor or do you want a Sako, a mauser or M-16 style extractor?
How about a new trigger, are you going to want one of those?

You need to answer ALL these questions IN DETAIL before we can really map out a plan to get you where you want to be.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: swordfish</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Using this:
Best way to search the 'hide </div></div>

Fish, use the search engine listed above, this question is answered daily I think. It will save you from many an assflaming.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: swordfish</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the Remington 5R the best 308 for the price ?

For what?

It is most certainly not the best .308 for room clearing.

I would also not want to assault an objective carrying one.

If we are talking "best" then you need to forget "price range" and start looking at rifles like the AIAW, TRG-22, DTA SRS, Surgeon 591, GAP Templar, etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sniper1720</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone seen the prices on the NEW Remington MSR system? </div></div>

really?..........

best is subjective. as ranger1183 stated you need to determine what YOU want in a rifle and how YOU will use it to decided what is best for YOU.

also... fill out your profile please.

All assuming you are talking about a tac comp gun.

"Best for the price?" No, I would say a custom 243 from a custom builder is the best gun for it's price.

Now the 5R is hard to beat for the price of $1,000. Add a bolt knob, brake, and DBM and you have a very nice rig. for under 1,500.

When you shoot the barrel out in 4000+ rounds you can have a smith true your action and even change to a 260/243 if you want.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 264Charlie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: swordfish</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the Remington 5R the best 308 for the price ?

All assuming you are talking about a tac comp gun.

"Best for the price?" No, I would say a custom 243 from a custom builder is the best gun for it's price.

Now the 5R is hard to beat for the price of $1,000. Add a bolt knob, brake, and DBM and you have a very nice rig. for under 1,500.

When you shoot the barrel out in 4000+ rounds you can have a smith true your action and even change to a 260/243 if you want. </div></div>

with the new powders that are due to come out.......that might not be the "right" decision.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">fond of this one.....

85335.jpg

</div></div>
Where can I get one , and what is the best scope for it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jbell</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">fond of this one.....

85335.jpg

</div></div>
Where can I get one , and what is the best scope for it? </div></div>

Come on jbell, you know the best scope for that is a CounterSniper!

Hah!

The Remmy is a good rifle but if you want thee best i'd look at the TRG 22 or an AIAW.

Savage .308 with Mcmillan or HS precision stock. Not the best, but maybe the best for you, it would save you some money so you can buy ammo and get out to shoot.
Buy 500 rounds of .308 and shoot it, check this website every day, and in a few Months you will know what is "best for you".
Happy shooting, SScott

I think best out of the box is a Sako TRG 22.

But if you include custom, probably a GAP or similar. Still, TRG has the 60 degree throw, long magazine, they got it right. I know of no custom reciever that has 60 degree throw.

For the $1000 price point the 5R or a Savage will do fine. If you have cash to burn, get an AI AE or AI AW.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Popcorn and beer, all set for the flaming!</div></div>

EXACTLY what I was thinking!!!

Another option is to wait for a custom rifle that closely meets what you want and snag it up for cheap. I think most will agree with me there has been more and more custom rifles to choose from - many at thousands of dollars less than building new. Blame it on the economy, blame it on building something then switching your mind, but it is a buyers market. Do your research, find something that will suit your needs, and get yourself a great rifle at a bargain price.

If you are looking for a rifle in the $1000- $1200 or so range...I'd buy a used Winchester varmint or Rem 700 varmint or PSS and have it rebarreled and a trigger job. You can find a used rifle for around $500- $700 range and drop another &500- $ 600 on truing the action, trigger and custom bbl in whatever caliber you want. i have built more tackdrivers doing it that way than I can even remember. If I had $300...I'd only buy an AI AE or Sako trg-22. All of the AI's and Sako's I've owned were all Superb right out of the box.