• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best .338Lapua custom barrel length

flynlow3

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2010
IL, EFFINGHAM
I am about to build a .338 lapua and need to order the barrel. What is the best length barrel for this round and why? I plan on going bartlein and in 5R.

Re: Best .338Lapua custom barrel length

26" is quite adequate. My TRG42 with 26" barrel achieves 2675fps with 300gr SMK with 90.5gr Retumbo, which isn't a "stiff" load at all.

Buddy's custom has a 30" Bartlein, and he gets 2850fps from 94gr Retumbo.

Hard to really compare the two, as he has 4" more barrel and 4gr more powder, but not even 200fps difference.

Maybe 175fps are important to you, maybe not.

I think there are some fairly short 338's around here achieving some very respectful velocity.

I run a 28" Rock Creek AMU in mine. I wouldn't feel the need to go longer than that, but that's just my opinion.

Mine is a 26" Krieger from Surgeon and it works just fine. Even at that length with MTU contour and A-5 stock the thing is 19.5lbs unloaded. That's a lot of gun in my book.

I run a 28" on my Surgeon, and I have shot a 20" on a previous AX. The 20" wasn't what I was looking for with the 300's, and the 28" is plenty. I would suggest 26"-28" for long range rifles planning on using heavier bullets. Of course all of this depends on desired rifle weight and use.

My AIAW is a 1-10 twist and is a 26". I get plenty of FPS out of that. I run the 300 Lapua bullet. I'd say up to 30 if you don't plan on packing it. But if you want to field it, then 26 is plenty. Depends on what bullet your wanting to use. Get the right twist rate for your chosen bullet. JPG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silverbullet-2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...I'd say up to 30 if you don't plan on packing it. But if you want to field it, then 26 is plenty... </div></div>

This

27" on my UGSW Infidel

When I rebarrel my TRG it will be getting a 25inch tube... My rifle gets a fair amount of field time and I want something a little more handy than the 27 incher on there now

I run a 30" but the rifle only sees longrange steel targets. I`m pushing 300gr Bergers at 2850fps.