• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best 338LM reload??

millsd

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 29, 2010
Austin, TX
Any thoughts on the best reload for my DTA SRS in 338? The plan is lapua brass, 300g lapua scenar bullets, and vihtavuori n570 powder (though I'm not sure of the actual load yet)? Also...any difference between the large rifle primers?

I'm a newbee to reloading, so anything specific to the 338 reloading beyond "go read some books" is helpful (already bought/read the books and have a powder guide). And if any of you with the DTA have "optimized" a load for accuracy with that rifle, that'd be great as well...

Re: Best 338LM reload??

So if I told you the following:

Lapua Brass
300 Grain Scenar
Fed 215M Primer
91.9 grains VV570
3.680 OAL

What would you do? Go right out and start reloading there?

Now I don't own a DTA SRS, nor do I reload for a 338 Lapua.

But there really are no short cuts in reloading. Optimized loads developed in another rifle, even in a another DTA SRS will be different in yours. No two rifles are alike, no two chambers, no two barrels, no two powder lots, et al.

Here's some more load data for you:

Accurate Reloading

Here's some more from Lapua itself.

Lapua 338 LM Data

I do not know where this penchant for "optimized" data began. Data is data. And a load developed in Rifle A, may or may not be suitable in Rifle B.

The is no substitute for developing a load at the bottom and working it up, in your rifle and with your components.

There are no short cuts, no optimized loads, for your rifle, except what you develop yourself.

In summary, Reloading starts at safe minimums, and ends where ever your rifle tells you is MAX.

Bob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So if I told you the following:

Lapua Brass
300 Grain Scenar
Fed 215M Primer
91.9 grains VV570
3.680 OAL

What would you do? Go right out and start reloading there?

Now I don't own a DTA SRS, nor do I reload for a 338 Lapua.

But there really are no short cuts in reloading. Optimized loads developed in another rifle, even in a another DTA SRS will be different in yours. No two rifles are alike, no two chambers, no two barrels, no two powder lots, et al.

Here's some more load data for you:

Accurate Reloading

Here's some more, but you have to convert this data from the metric system.

Lapua 338 LM Data

I do not know where this penchant for "optimized" data began. Data is data. And a load developed in Rifle A, may or may not be suitable in Rifle B.

The is no substitute for developing a load at the bottom and working it up, in your rifle and with your components.

There are no short cuts, no optimized loads, for your rifle, except what you develop yourself.

In summary, Reloading starts at safe minimums, and ends where ever your rifle tells you is MAX.

Bob

</div></div>

+1 Everyone wants the easy way out and let others spoon feed them the information not even knowing if it's right or not.

It'll be another month before I have all the components in place to reload...so I'm certainly not going to run out and reload just based on someone's opinion.

That said, I do value the opinions of others (epecially SRS owner's) in what their experience has been. If I had a dozen people tell me to use 250g vs 300g, or scenar vs hpbt, or to use 170 vs n570 powder, or to use primer x over primer y...it may save me some time/money vs just figuring it all out on my own. Now I'm certainly not looking to max out powder and definitely won't go outside of the manufacturer ranges, but I'm not sure how taking in-spec advise would be any different than picking up a box of ammo off the shelf?

Thanks for the info.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Millsd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It'll be another month before I have all the components in place to reload...so I'm certainly not going to run out and reload just based on someone's opinion.

That said, I do value the opinions of others (epecially SRS owner's) in what their experience has been. If I had a dozen people tell me to use 250g vs 300g, or scenar vs hpbt, or to use 170 vs n570 powder, or to use primer x over primer y...it may save me some time/money vs just figuring it all out on my own. Now I'm certainly not looking to max out powder and definitely won't go outside of the manufacturer ranges, but I'm not sure how taking in-spec advise would be any different than picking up a box of ammo off the shelf?

Thanks for the info. </div></div>

You need to do one of two things: 1) Use a more descriptive thread title. Contrary to what most new people believe the people who have the info do NOT read every stinkin' thread in this place. They look at the title and say 'Oh man, some other dipshit looking for basic 338LM load info that can't search since it's been covered in depth for years' and move on. I suggest you started a thread where you had 'DTA SRS' specifically in the thread title so those who load your round with your rifle can give you a better idea. If you get a lot of similar info start low and work your way up to it. 2) Do some searching. It won't kill you. Start with the threads for the DTA SRS and read what people have put since there's a lot of info there. Then, if you want more info or clarification post in those threads since most everyone who owns that type of rifle (and many who want to) will be subscribed to those threads.

Your thread title here is destined to fail and I'm only amazed you've gotten as warm a response as you have so far. I guess the people who are tired of n00bish posts such as this have also grown tired of posting to them. Do yourself a favor though and read LOTS before you ever post asking questions. Chances are pretty good it's been answered in depth already given how good of a forum this is.

You have to develop the load. Just use your head and get all the knowledge you can. We can spoonfeed you loads for weeks.

YOU have to LEARN what the rifle WANTS. AND you have to be able to shoot it well enough to REALLY know what is and what isn't accurate.