• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Best $400 dollar scope Cabellas Covenant 7 small review.

Elevation range is good, I have it zeroed at 50y, and was able to dial for a 350 yard shot. I have a mountain tactical 20 MOA base mounted.

Mike

i don't remember the exact DOPE but it was in the range of 18.5 mils

This is going to be a quick overview of the scope. I set out to look for a scope for my Tikka T1x (22lr) and Anschutz 1416 in 17hmr. My priorities were $300-$600. I was looking at three scopes Vortex Diamond Back tactical, Burris XTR 2 (Used), Midas Tac.

So I took a long look at the Diamond Back, and it met most of my criteria. Mil /Mil, FFP, tree reticle, decent glass, and at least 30mm tube. The big thing with it was no zero stop and I just could not get behind it.

Next was the Burris, it had every single thing I was looking for but was at the top of the budget, and would have to be used. I have bought three Burris of the hide for $650 dollars.

The Midas Tac I was able to find for $489 dollars and met all the parameters.

While searching for these scopes I came across the Cabelas brand scope line and started researching them. In there covenant 7 lines, they have a scope that is FFP, Mil/Mil, Zero stop, 34mm tube, 50mm objective, 1/3 shorter than my Burris in Length. and it was priced at $399.99

So I drove to Cabelas this morning to look at in person. Overall I was impressed. I had them pull a Vortex PST, Burris xtr2, and Bushnell Forge. To compare side by side. I would say the glass was as good or very close to all the above listed. The Clicks where very audible and about 80% feel of the Burris XTR2's, so not bad at all. Zero stop is very easy to set. The tube does not feel cheap. It has a throw lever along with it.

So I bought one to see how it works. I have not been able to complete any tracking test on it. That will be the big question. For what I want it for a 22 and 17hmr I think it will fit nicely.

So no it's not Nightforce or Schmidt and bender quality, but so far for the price, it is one of the better scopes on the market that I have placed in my hands.

By the way, I run a Schmidt PM2 DT MSR and a Nightforce ATACR Mil C and a lot of Burris XTR2's So I have an idea of Quality. I was looking for this scope in a certain price range. And unless it fails miserably at tracking this should be a great sub $600 dollar budget.

as soon as I can to a trackign test I will post.
I just purchased the Covenant 7 in 5x35x56 with 34mm tube in mildot with the tac10 reticle. I mounted it on a Howa HCR in .300 Win Mag. Like you I was looking for a scope in the $500 range and I was considering the Nikon FX1000 6x24x50 and the cheaper Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6x24x50. I had looked at the Nikon before and was really impressed with the glass. I am fortunate enough to own a couple of very high end scopes so I have a pretty good idea of what "good" glass is. Believe it or not the Covenant 7's glass, even at 35x power is fantastic. My only criticism is at the very edge of the glass at full magnification the image is a little fuzzy but with the 56mm objective and 34mm tube the sight picture was very bright and sharp. After zeroing I performed a tracking test at it was dead on. At 1000 yards I've been averaging .77 moa with a best group size of .569 moa and worst 1.213 moa. I've fired about 100 rounds of hand loaded .300 Win Mag with no issues. Zero has held and I did another tracking test after 80 rounds with no problems at all. I like the Tac 10 reticle. It's nearly the same as the Tac8 and Strelok and a few other ballistics apps have this scope in their database. The reticle is FFP glass etched with very fine lines. The only drawback is at lower magnification the reticle is pretty small and using holdover points isn't easy. One of my high end scopes has the Horus Tremor 3 reticle which I love and the Tac 10 is similar although simpler. Hope this helps.

Just a word of caution on these scopes. I was visiting one of the guys at Cabela's I go to once in a while when I was looking at these scopes and they currently do NOT have warranty coverage in the stores as of May 15th due to the Bass Pro buy out. There was a card in the box on the one I thought about buying but I have asked at other stores as well and that is an unknown as of my last asking about 3 weeks ago. They look decent for the price but just be aware for any future issues if you are using them for centerfire recoil. I personally went with the Diamondback Tactical due to this reason and my plans to use it on multiple rifles depending on the time of year.

This. Both the reviews and Q&A have a mention that the lifetime warranty is no more. 90 days to return, otherwise nothing. Not a good play for something that has to stand up to recoil.

The one I got not to long ago has 'lifetime guarantee' on the box and the owners manual. If I have to, I will press it to the max. I kept everything in the box.
When I bought it the guy behind the counter called the service desk and they confirmed they would honor the lifetime guarantee.

Mike

(Cabelas Buffalo store)

Last edited:
This. Both the reviews and Q&A have a mention that the lifetime warranty is no more. 90 days to return, otherwise nothing. Not a good play for something that has to stand up to recoil.
I bought mine at Bass Pro Shop and they assured me the warranty would be honored. I appreciate the heads up though. So far it's been a fantastic scope!

I bought mine at Bass Pro Shop and they assured me the warranty would be honored. I appreciate the heads up though. So far it's been a fantastic scope!

How's it holding up so far on the 300 win mag?

I was looking into this scope and really like it. I have to check with my local Cabela's about the warranty. Seems like others are saying it's not valid anymore.

How's it holding up so far on the 300 win mag?

I was looking into this scope and really like it. I have to check with my local Cabela's about the warranty. Seems like others are saying it's not valid anymore.
I've probably put 200 or so 190 grain Berger Juggernaut rounds through it and around 300 or so 208 grain ELD Match rounds. I was planning to buy another one so I recently did a 100 yard tracking test to see if that had been affected by the fairly heavy recoil. The scope tracked perfectly and has never lost it's zero. So I went ahead and bought another Covenant 7 in the 5x35x56 model with 34mm tube. This one went on a .224 Valkyrie that I just built. When I took it to the range I ran out of "down" adjustment before I quite had my zero. I bought expensive steel Burris rings so I didn't think that was the problem. I moved the scope to a different rifle, tried different rings and nothing worked. I took the scope back to Bass Pro Shops last week and they apologised and handed me another one with a new receipt. This one zeroed, tracked and performed flawlessly. These scopes are as good as my Vortex Viper in glass clarity and tracking. The Vortex has nicer turrets but otherwise the covenant matches the quality and performance of scopes costing 4 times as much!

Reactions: Aprilia Man
When I exchanged the one I have now at Bass Pro Shops I actually asked the clerk at the customer service desk about the lifetime warranty. Before she could answer this big guy who was also behind the counter. Turns out he's the manager and he said they would exchange or gift card once as a gesture of good will for scopes bought from cabelas but otherwise no lifetime warranty.

Pic of the reticle anyone? Or am I blind and can't find it on the site?

Edit: Found it on Google. .5mil subtensions for anyone curious.

Pic of the reticle anyone? Or am I blind and can't find it on the site?

Edit: Found it on Google. .5mil subtensions for anyone curious.
They call the reticle the Tac 10 reticle. I use the paid version of the Strelok app and this reticle is in their database. It's on the manual that comes with the scope. If anyone needs it I can take a pic and post it.

When I exchanged the one I have now at Bass Pro Shops I actually asked the clerk at the customer service desk about the lifetime warranty. Before she could answer this big guy who was also behind the counter. Turns out he's the manager and he said they would exchange or gift card once as a gesture of good will for scopes bought from cabelas but otherwise no lifetime warranty.
I just emailed their corporate office for clarification on this issue and will post their reply when I receive it.

Made in China. Glass is ok. It is not like you pay $400 for a $600 value scope. You pay $400 for $400 value scope with a lot of + features. IMHO, pay a little more for an used athlon or Bushnell.
I recently had a chance to compare the Athlon Helps BTR 8x34x56 side by side with the covenant 7 5x35x56 and I was very surprised! I've been hearing a lot of good things about Athlon so I expected the $800 Athlon to be substantially better than the $400 covenant but it was the exact opposite! Glass clarity, brightness, field of view etc at full power the covenant won hands down. The only thing better on the Athlon were the turrets. The covenant turrets were big with good positive clicks but the Athlon had locking rings and better feel but that's a minor thing compared to glass clarity, brightness and field of view. Another big difference was the Athlon had large black ring between the edge of the magnified image and the internal body of the scope. I moved back and forth and made sure I was in the eye relief sweet spot, I adjusted the ocular lens and paralax but that black ring never went away. On the covenant the field of view was huge and the image went right to the edge. I was planning to buy an Athlon but went with the covenant instead after this experience. Maybe it was just that Athlon scope, I know a lot of people like them.

Reactions: Hank Fabich jr.
IN that case, why not pay a little more and go to Burris and so on and so on. Hell just keeps adding to the so on and soon you will have a Schmidt and bender. The point was not that its a 600 dollar scope. The point was in the 400 dollar range it is actually a decent scope. It has more elevation and more field of view than the Athlons Midas tac at 1/3 less cost. I compared it glass wise to a 900 Bushnell forge 1000 Burris xtr2 and vortex PST series scopes. My only concern is that it tracks.
The Midas TAC has more elevation adjustment. The 6-24x50 has 85 MOA vs the covenant having 70 MOA. The new 5-25x56 Midas TAC has 110 MOA.

just to throw my .02 in on this thread.......

I picked one of these up yesterday because I had some bass pro points and this thread as well as a few You Tube reviews made me curious. I’d ordered a crimson Trace 3 series 5-25 for my T1X because I loved the tiny target dot BUT I just finished an 18” AR that also needs something other than the diamondback tactical on it.

My usual scopes are in the 1k range. I own some cheap ones like this as we just because I have a lot of 22’s and AR’s and frankly an AR without a match bbl and a standard 22 in general won’t benefit from great glass to the point a 400 dollar scope is holding you back, just my opinion.

Anyway, I needed another scope without dropping another 1000-1200 bucks so I checked online and this was in stock at BPS so I figured what the hell, let’s go look at it.

My 400 dollar experience is the DB tactical, some Primary Arms silver stuff on AR’s, some cheaper Athlon stuff (as well as more expensive Athlon stuff) and some Nikon stuff in that range.

The covenant blows away the glass of anything else I’ve touched in this price range and frankly I thinks it’s brighter/better than the Midas BTR. If you’re torn between this and the DB tactical for a cheap scope, go with this and just make sure you use the hell out of it for 3 months to flush out any issues because the DB is inferior in every way to this. It honestly shocked the shit out of me.
the zero stop or ridiculously easy to set. The target dot is so small it’s perfect for 22 competitions because it covers next to nothing. The turrets are better than the DB but they’re still 400 dollar turrets (plus I went through 3 boxes at BPS with the salesman before selecting the one I bought). the scope tracked true today and was easy to focus (parallax knob is off 30ish yards probably, once again, 400 dollar scope) and I only used it out to 150 but at 30 power it was ridiculously clear, especially considering the price.

The cons, obviously the warranty. Vortex and Athlon have this thing beat to death on the warranty side but the DB tac and the Argos can’t touch it for clarity to my eyes.

Turrets are hit or miss. I went through 3 to find one that felt exactly the same on the windage and elevation, not one stiffer or more muted than the other.

Eyebox above 20power gets tight, I have a KRG Bravo and it’s set perfectly for me to get my cheek weld and have no issues seeing a clear picture instantly, but if I was off slightly, it would be a black screen.

Turrets do have slop, the index marks line up in the “middle” of the slop lol, but once again, it’s a 400 dollar scope.

if you’re looking for something in this price range, I’d give this a longggg hard look because of all the ones I’ve tried, it’s the best glass and easiest zero stop plus the 7x erector which is ridiculous. Just make sure you break it in the first three months.

if you were wanting to run base class, you could do a LOT worse than this scope to stay under the MSRP limit.

Reactions: Brutalwarpig
just to throw my .02 in on this thread.......

I picked one of these up yesterday because I had some bass pro points and this thread as well as a few You Tube reviews made me curious. I’d ordered a crimson Trace 3 series 5-25 for my T1X because I loved the tiny target dot BUT I just finished an 18” AR that also needs something other than the diamondback tactical on it.

My usual scopes are in the 1k range. I own some cheap ones like this as we just because I have a lot of 22’s and AR’s and frankly an AR without a match bbl and a standard 22 in general won’t benefit from great glass to the point a 400 dollar scope is holding you back, just my opinion.

Anyway, I needed another scope without dropping another 1000-1200 bucks so I checked online and this was in stock at BPS so I figured what the hell, let’s go look at it.

My 400 dollar experience is the DB tactical, some Primary Arms silver stuff on AR’s, some cheaper Athlon stuff (as well as more expensive Athlon stuff) and some Nikon stuff in that range.

The covenant blows away the glass of anything else I’ve touched in this price range and frankly I thinks it’s brighter/better than the Midas BTR. If you’re torn between this and the DB tactical for a cheap scope, go with this and just make sure you use the hell out of it for 3 months to flush out any issues because the DB is inferior in every way to this. It honestly shocked the shit out of me.
the zero stop or ridiculously easy to set. The target dot is so small it’s perfect for 22 competitions because it covers next to nothing. The turrets are better than the DB but they’re still 400 dollar turrets (plus I went through 3 boxes at BPS with the salesman before selecting the one I bought). the scope tracked true today and was easy to focus (parallax knob is off 30ish yards probably, once again, 400 dollar scope) and I only used it out to 150 but at 30 power it was ridiculously clear, especially considering the price.

The cons, obviously the warranty. Vortex and Athlon have this thing beat to death on the warranty side but the DB tac and the Argos can’t touch it for clarity to my eyes.

Turrets are hit or miss. I went through 3 to find one that felt exactly the same on the windage and elevation, not one stiffer or more muted than the other.

Eyebox above 20power gets tight, I have a KRG Bravo and it’s set perfectly for me to get my cheek weld and have no issues seeing a clear picture instantly, but if I was off slightly, it would be a black screen.

Turrets do have slop, the index marks line up in the “middle” of the slop lol, but once again, it’s a 400 dollar scope.

if you’re looking for something in this price range, I’d give this a longggg hard look because of all the ones I’ve tried, it’s the best glass and easiest zero stop plus the 7x erector which is ridiculous. Just make sure you break it in the first three months.

if you were wanting to run base class, you could do a LOT worse than this scope to stay under the MSRP limit.
The glass clarity even at full power is what sold me on these scopes. I had an opportunity to compare my covenant 7 5x35x56 side by side with a Athlon Helos BTR 8x34x56 and the glass clarity was at the very least as good and IMO it was a little better but the big difference was the brightness and field of view. My Covenant 7 was substantially brighter with a much larger field of view at 30x. The Athlon had better turrets and definitely a better warranty but at twice the price! I really am happy with my Covenant scopes!

YUP, not the Discovery line of scopes at all.
No definitely not a Discovery scope. I bought a Discovery not long ago and the only thing I will use it for is to sweeten a trade deal so I can get rid of it. I have a Simmons tactical from Academy that's far better and half the price.

I've actually compared the 5x35x56 Covenant 7 to a Athlon Helos 8x32x56 and the glass and field of view are quite a bit better on the Covenant. The Athlon had nicer turrets but that was it
The Argos doesn't have a zero stop. You have to get a shim kit if you want one.

Emailed about warranty
1576012920855.png

also asked in the store and record the same basic answer , 90 days

I'm glad I found this thread on the Hide. We're finally getting an NRL22 match locally and I wanted to put together a base class rifle to double the trigger time in the matches. My Vudoo's wear 7-35 ATACR's and I've struggled to figure out the optic to go on the base rifle...

Actually, I had to figure out the base rifle first. None of my rifles or scopes fit the base class rules of $1050 total MSRP. Since I have quite a few CZ magazines, I chose the 457 Pro Varmint for the rifle. With it's $588 MSRP, I only have $462 for the MSRP of the optic.

Originally, I thought about an Athlon Argos 6-24, but the $499.99 MSRP doesn't work. Next, I thought about the Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24, but have the same issue with the MSRP at $499... My next thought was to go with the Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16. This one has an MSRP of $449.99, so it would work.

Locally, none of the shops carry Vortex, so in order to actually look through a Diamondback Tactical, I had to go to Cabela's. While waiting for someone at Cabela's to let me look at the Vortex, I noticed the Covenant scopes, both the Covenant 5 and 7. The more I read on the tags, the more interested I got in looking at them.

I like the reticle, but got in a hurry to go meet a client and forgot to check on the elevation. Cabela's website isn't very helpful, with different people giving different answers on the total elevation. Answers range from 70 MOA to 104 MOA.

For those of you who have the 5-35, can you tell me how much elevation the scope actually has?

I'm glad I found this thread on the Hide. We're finally getting an NRL22 match locally and I wanted to put together a base class rifle to double the trigger time in the matches. My Vudoo's wear 7-35 ATACR's and I've struggled to figure out the optic to go on the base rifle...

Actually, I had to figure out the base rifle first. None of my rifles or scopes fit the base class rules of $1050 total MSRP. Since I have quite a few CZ magazines, I chose the 457 Pro Varmint for the rifle. With it's $588 MSRP, I only have $462 for the MSRP of the optic.

Originally, I thought about an Athlon Argos 6-24, but the $499.99 MSRP doesn't work. Next, I thought about the Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24, but have the same issue with the MSRP at $499... My next thought was to go with the Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16. This one has an MSRP of $449.99, so it would work.

Locally, none of the shops carry Vortex, so in order to actually look through a Diamondback Tactical, I had to go to Cabela's. While waiting for someone at Cabela's to let me look at the Vortex, I noticed the Covenant scopes, both the Covenant 5 and 7. The more I read on the tags, the more interested I got in looking at them.

I like the reticle, but got in a hurry to go meet a client and forgot to check on the elevation. Cabela's website isn't very helpful, with different people giving different answers on the total elevation. Answers range from 70 MOA to 104 MOA.

For those of you who have the 5-35, can you tell me how much elevation the scope actually has?

The covenant 5 in 6x24x50 has roughly 60 moa elevation and the covenant 7 in 5x35x56 on my RPR has right around 100 moa but it's on a 20 moa base so I would assume roughly 80 moa otherwise. This is how my particular scopes are. Considering the price range there could be some variation from one to another

Reactions: Rolltide
Looks like Bass Pro/Cabela's has the covenant 5 on sale for $100 off making the ffp 3-15 or 5-25 $250. Has anyone compared the 5 and 7? I looked at the Covenant 5 today because it was on sale but not the 7. The 5 seemed surprisingly good to me, but as can be expected, Gen 2 pst blows it out of the water especially in low light.

Also, my reading of Cabela's response to warranty claims is you've got 90 days to take it back to the store and after that they will honor the lifetime warranty but you have to mail it in...correct?

I like the rig more and more every time I shoot it. I got the 3x-21x Covenant7, Cabelas was out of the higher mag scope. It looked a lot bigger also. Not having it in stock made the decision for me, I was kind of up in the air about the two.

Mike
Hi mike,

I am considering the same 2 scopes for my 22lr, Can you see the bullet holes at 100 yards on paper with the 3x-21? I am leaning to the 5x-35 for future use. thanks

I have 2 of the covenant 7 scopes in 5x35x56 and just acquired a 3x21x56 I noticed with my higher power models that the FFP version has slightly better glass. So when I went to BPS in Nashville I looked at both versions of the 3x21x56 model and once again the FFP version was a little more clear. Not as noticeable as on the higher magnification model but still noticeable. Of course I bought the FFP 3x21x56. The 34mm tube and 56mm objective gives you a large, bright field of view but rings are pricey. I'm using Warne and Burris steel precision rings and the prices went from $69 to $112 for just the rings! Anyway I also own a vortex diamondback tactile 6x24x50 which had been on my 22lr RPR I took the Vortex and the 3x21x56 covenant 7 to the range to do a side by side comparison. At 100 yards you can easily see your hits not to mention you can observe the bullets flight. It's really interesting to be able to see the arching trajectory of the projectile! The Covenant was actually a little better for this application I believe because of the greater light transmission capabilities of the larger tube and objective. Another point of interest is I compared the Covenant 7 21 power with the 35 power and for 22lr I actually prefer the 21 power scope. The reason for this is it does a better job in the 100 to 150 yard range due to the fact the paralax adjustment can be more fine tuned to these distances. I was told by someone at BPS that the Covenant line of scopes nomenclature is derived from the multiplier or magnifier lense in the scope. The Covenant 3 has a 3x magnifying lenses, the Covenant 5 has a 5x etc. You may even get a better fit by going to a Covenant 5. I think there's a 6x24x50 with 30mm tube and if I'm not mistaken you're talking about $150 right now for that scope! Rings would certainly be less in a pain in the ass and the wallet! Lol!

I looked through several at the store and at home and and for some reason the 5-35 covenant 7 seemed the standout to me in terms of clarity, brightness, and contrast of the 4 different iterations. I wanted to like the 3-21 but I just couldn't get it to wow me like as much as the 5-35 did, not sure why but just wasn't as pleasing for some reason. I also looked at the entire Nikon line and liked that these had a seemingly larger field of view and dot reticle while seeming to hold their own in glass quality.
Hope these perform well, impressed so far.

Reactions: dreams
So what is everyone’s thoughts on the lack of warranty ? Do y’all think it’s a gamble or pretty safe , even on sale if it breaks a year from now your sol

I have 2 of the covenant 7 scopes in 5x35x56 and just acquired a 3x21x56 I noticed with my higher power models that the FFP version has slightly better glass. So when I went to BPS in Nashville I looked at both versions of the 3x21x56 model and once again the FFP version was a little more clear. Not as noticeable as on the higher magnification model but still noticeable. Of course I bought the FFP 3x21x56. The 34mm tube and 56mm objective gives you a large, bright field of view but rings are pricey. I'm using Warne and Burris steel precision rings and the prices went from $69 to $112 for just the rings! Anyway I also own a vortex diamondback tactile 6x24x50 which had been on my 22lr RPR I took the Vortex and the 3x21x56 covenant 7 to the range to do a side by side comparison. At 100 yards you can easily see your hits not to mention you can observe the bullets flight. It's really interesting to be able to see the arching trajectory of the projectile! The Covenant was actually a little better for this application I believe because of the greater light transmission capabilities of the larger tube and objective. Another point of interest is I compared the Covenant 7 21 power with the 35 power and for 22lr I actually prefer the 21 power scope. The reason for this is it does a better job in the 100 to 150 yard range due to the fact the paralax adjustment can be more fine tuned to these distances. I was told by someone at BPS that the Covenant line of scopes nomenclature is derived from the multiplier or magnifier lense in the scope. The Covenant 3 has a 3x magnifying lenses, the Covenant 5 has a 5x etc. You may even get a better fit by going to a Covenant 5. I think there's a 6x24x50 with 30mm tube and if I'm not mistaken you're talking about $150 right now for that scope! Rings would certainly be less in a pain in the ass and the wallet! Lol!
Thank you for that very informative response. I looked up the covenant 5 6x24x50 and it says 300 so not on sale atm.

So what is everyone’s thoughts on the lack of warranty ? Do y’all think it’s a gamble or pretty safe , even on sale if it breaks a year from now your sol
My understanding is that they will replace for 90 days instore and after that you will have to mail it in. I did read the policy and it does specify normal wear and tear are not covered so that makes it an iffy proposition.

Thank you for that very informative response. I looked up the covenant 5 6x24x50 and it says 300 so not on sale atm.
Ah, my mistake. I knew the Covenant 7 scopes were on sale and just made an assumption.

Well I know this is kind of dishonest but if I bought one and a year later the store wouldn't make a defect right then I would buy a new one, put the defective unit in a box and return it the next day.

Well I know this is kind of dishonest but if I bought one and a year later the store wouldn't make a defect right then I would buy a new one, put the defective unit in a box and return it the next day.

Look, I don't want to be a pill, but if you go into a transaction knowing the terms and then want to commit fraud later because you don't like those terms, well that ain't just "kind of dishonest". Besides, I'd wager a guess that the boxes are serialized along with the corresponding scope.

Now in the situation where a company disappears, well unfortunately, the way corporate acquisitions can be structured, acquirers can purchase assets and not liabilities. It sucks for the consumer, but you learn your lesson and write off the loss. I understand the sentiment that you should get what you paid for, but that is a risk we all take.

25 years ago I bought a PC for $1500 and paid cash...seven days later the company declared bankruptcy and hadn't delivered (they actually took hundreds of orders knowing they would declare bankruptcy). I learned first of all to never to pay-in-full with cash before delivery...and then I learned hard how to eat the loss. Unfortunately, the Cabela's that sold that scope with a limited lifetime warranty is gone, so technically Bass Pro isn't "legally" required to do anything.

For the $299 these things are on sale for today, you take your lumps at the end of the day if you get a bum example outside of the warranty term.

Last edited:
For the price they’re on sale for right now, I’m going to buy a second one for another 22 I have that’s wearing a Midas BTR SFP (Intoxicated late night shopping got me, I thought I’d found one of the last Ares BTR’s on sale on planet earth lmao).

the 5-35 is the perfect 22 scope for base class in my opinion, the target dot is easily visible even on overcast days but so damn tiny you can run all the way down the KYL rack without issues.

The 6 mil/rev turrets are kind of a bummer but what do you want from a 400/now 300 dollar scope? It blows every other budgets scope I’ve touched out of the water and I’ve never been able to watch a bullet trace as easily in my life as I can with this one.

If it breaks and you have to mail it in, so be it. If it breaks and you’re out a few hundred, only you can decide if you can absorb that or not. As much money as we spend on other things, the crapshoot of a cheap scope maybe not being covered is one I’m willing to take over and over.

I just ordered a Cabela's Covenant 7 5-35 FFP on sale for $299 off the Cabela's web page. Went by the store and it was a zoo today. Free shipping so I just ordered online. I plan on using on a 22 or a 223 bolt. Thanks for the feedback and reviews.

I just ordered a Cabela's Covenant 7 5-35 FFP on sale for $299 off the Cabela's web page. Went by the store and it was a zoo today. Free shipping so I just ordered online. I plan on using on a 22 or a 223 bolt. Thanks for the feedback and reviews.
same here I just pulled the trigger and ordered it also. You have any idea of the height of the 34mm rings for an ar15?

same here I just pulled the trigger and ordered it also. You have any idea of the height of the 34mm rings for an ar15?
I would look at something like the Aero Precision 34mm one piece for an AR. If you use regular rings you may need a rail extender.

Reactions: dreams
Look, I don't want to be a pill, but if you go into a transaction knowing the terms and then want to commit fraud later because you don't like those terms, well that ain't just "kind of dishonest". Besides, I'd wager a guess that the boxes are serialized along with the corresponding scope.

Now in the situation where a company disappears, well unfortunately, the way corporate acquisitions can be structured, acquirers can purchase assets and not liabilities. It sucks for the consumer, but you learn your lesson and write off the loss. I understand the sentiment that you should get what you paid for, but that is a risk we all take.

25 years ago I bought a PC for $1500 and paid cash...seven days later the company declared bankruptcy and hadn't delivered (they actually took hundreds of orders knowing they would declare bankruptcy). I learned first of all to never to pay-in-full with cash before delivery...and then I learned hard how to eat the loss. Unfortunately, the Cabela's that sold that scope with a limited lifetime warranty is gone, so technically Bass Pro isn't "legally" required to do anything.

For the $299 these things are on sale for today, you take your lumps at the end of the day if you get a bum example outside of the warranty term.
I don't disagree and what I proposed was just a thought not something I've done. My point is I bought my scope from BPS (pic included) and it clearly states lifetime warranty. There were no disclaimers or signs, the sales counter guy didn't say anything about the warranty and I didn't know about the issue until after spending $870 on 2 scopes. Fortunately both scopes are working flawlessly so I've not been faced with the problem but if BPS won't make the effort to post a sign or put a sticker on the box covering the lifetime warranty statement then I feel selling the scope "as is" is at the least false advertising and at worst outright fraud. So if someone should do what I proposed earlier under these circumstances it would IMO be in a "gray" moral area.

Attachments

• 1577468689741255266845.jpg
    1577468689741255266845.jpg
    375.8 KB · Views: 67
I got my Cabela's Covenant 7 5-35x56 today. It looks very good. Waiting on my 34mm rings to mount it - was planning originally on using on a 22 but it may go on my Savage 223 in a new Oryx stock.

Yesterday at Dead Zero 1000 yard range in Tennessee using a Covenant 7 and a Thompson Center Compass 6.5 Creedmoor I shot a 2. 05 inch 3 shot group at 600 yards with Berger Hybrid Target 140 grain OTM bullets loaded with 40.8 grains of H4350 with a coal of 2.626. This was my best of 3 groups. The other 2 were 3.54" and 5.14" all sub moa out of a $275 rifle with a $400 scope. A lot of people claim such a feat isn't possible. I've only been shooting long range precision for a year and a half and handloading less than a year so it's not as though some exceptional skill on my part is making the difference. The fact is a $700 rig today has quality equal to the $2000 rigs from just a few years ago. A lot of guys with $3000 to $7000 custom rifles with uber high end scopes were looking at me like I had grown a second head which was almost as good as the fantastic groups! Lol

No.
Good groups are not the only measure of quality.
No of course not. The stock on the T/C Compass is terrible, it's a standard profile barrel so I had to space my shots out and pay close attention to the barrel temp. I've only had the rig less than a year so who's to say how it will hold up. My point is as recently as 10 years ago it would have been very difficult to achieve groups like that with a rifle and scope with a price tag of $600-$650 which would have been the rough equivalent adjusting for inflation. Particularly in the scope department. The interest in long range precision shooting has made the financial entry point into the sport much more attainable for the casual shooter.

No of course not. The stock on the T/C Compass is terrible, it's a standard profile barrel so I had to space my shots out and pay close attention to the barrel temp. I've only had the rig less than a year so who's to say how it will hold up. My point is as recently as 10 years ago it would have been very difficult to achieve groups like that with a rifle and scope with a price tag of $600-$650 which would have been the rough equivalent adjusting for inflation. Particularly in the scope department. The interest in long range precision shooting has made the financial entry point into the sport much more attainable for the casual shooter.
Fair enough.

Reactions: Brutalwarpig
I'm enjoying my 5-35 on my T1x, the hashes on the turrets don't line up perfectly but seem functional enough. The eyebox is tight but right now I think those issues are worth the cost savings given the clarity and brightness are pretty impressive. The dot reticle is also nice. We'll see how I feel after 90 days.

I also put a 3-15 covenant 5 on my AR15. I have a 3-21 too and would probably rather put that on there but my Bobro and Larue mounts are all 30mm and adding the cost of a 34mm mount to a cheap scope kind of defeats the purpose.

I reckoned the warranty would be somewhere in between Vortex and Nikon, which were the other two scopes I was considering. The packaging clearly says it has a lifetime warranty and the salesperson at Cabelas (who had seemed to work there for quite a while) said that if it was a Cabelas scope and had issues the store would take care of it.

Also, I'm not a ring expert, but for $20 the Millet rings seem pretty solid. I just bought them to trial the 5-35 but they seem to be doing the job pretty well. Note that they are actually slimmer 4 screw rings, not 6 screw as incorrectly pictured on amazon.

Reactions: Alarka
@Prebanpaul , how is the Cabelas Covenant holding up so far? What yardage does the parallax adjustment go to?

I am running the Cabelas Covenant scope I bought around Christmas on a Savage 10T 223 1-9. No issues so far. Using UTG PRO rings. Seems to be a lot of scope for the money. It is well worth the price I got it for on sale. Do not claim it is a super great scope but it serves a purpose for me at the price point. I definitely would buy it again.

I got 3-21x50 on sale for $279 last month. It's not a bad scope for that price at all. I probably would have passed at the regular price, but I needed a scope for a plinker and at that price I figured it was worth a chance. It doesn't really compete with my Bushnell Forge and falls way short of my Optika6, but I'm pleased with it for the price.

Does anyone happen to have measurements on the objective and eyepiece they could send me, or recommendations on scope caps? I'm looking to put some caps on mine and cannot for the life of me find the sizes online. Unfortunately I won't have access to the rifle its mounted on for a week so I can't measure myself... Thanks!