• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes best 400 scope for. 308

skt4271

Private
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2012
Georgia
i cant afford a 1200 scope, so whats a good scope for my rem 700 .308? i wish i could those high glass you all have, but that means kids and wife cant eat.

i will do light hunting, mainly target, bench.

Search function on here might help you more. Only because not sure if your an SFP or FFP, moa or mil, illum or not, and what type of magnification you are looking for. Also I am not sure what options you can get for a $400 scope so once you know what you want/need it should help narrow it down.

Do you have any idea what features you want in a scope? More info would help. First or second focal plane, exposed or capped turrets, I don't like exposed turrets on a scope I plan on hunting with. Do you want a reticle you can range with? Do you need a lit reticle? Of course you'll find out pretty quickly that a lot of these features will be out of that price range. If your a member of a range try to check out other People's scopes, decide what you need and what you can live without. My suggestion for a entry level feature packed scope would be the Vortex Viper Pst series, I've had great luck with them. Great warranty, and not too far out of your price range. Good luck with your search.

From my high end glass to my low end glass i own, for low end nothing has come close to my Burris fullfield II for the money.

millett trs-1 or if you want to throw in a few more dollars or shop around you could find a LRS-1. I'd go for the LRS i like mine, can't beat it for the money

Look at the SWFA line of scopes. They are on the "affordable" end of the tactical scope scale. SWFA claims that by removing the middlemen in the distribution process they are able to offer these scopes at a much reduced price. They claim they would run hundred$ more if handled through normal distribution channels. While I'm not sure if that figure is completely accurate, there is truth to what they say.

After exhaustive research, I'm going to purchase the SWFA SS HD 10x42 Tactical 30mm Riflescope for my .308 AR-10.
SWFA website here: http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-Rifle-Scopes-C187.aspx

Good luck!

My brother has had a Konus PRO M30 6.5-25X44 on his Remy SPS Tactical for 3 years now without a single problem. Glass and resolution is very good as is tracking. I am usually a Nightforce guy but I decided to try one on my Colt 6721 Enhanced and it has worked out great for me in the last few months. Is it a Nightforce, no but well worth the money I paid for it. It ran around $303 with free shipping from Optics Planet. Amazon also had it for the same price with free shipping.

Cameraland has a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 for $279ish. I bought one for my spsv 308, and spst 223, great scope for the money. The deal only applies to the wideplex reticle, because it is discontinued. The same scope with any other reticle is almost $500. However, I am very fond of the fine croshairs, and couldn't be happier with the glass.

Phantom, +1 on the fine crosshairs.
My cheap scopes are an NCStar (~$80, has 2 MOA crosshairs), some Simmons that will tater your eye because the eye relief is so close, and a Sightron III ($150). I use the Sightron on my Weatherby 7mm out to 500 yards. The Simmons has sat in a box since the last time it cut my eye, and the NCStar occasionally goes on my AR15-A2. I prefer the iron sights.
I saved some money and sold some things, then picked up a barely used Mark 4 for $900. I love it. I can read license plates in the dark at 100 yards with just the normal light that shines on them.

Buy a used scope. Just bought a 3.5-10x40 Mark 4 for dirt. Older VX-III technology, but has TTs and tracks on the money. I have about 400 in it. Buy a good used scope from a quality company that stands behind their product and you will NOT go wrong.

Stands behind their product, like a 100% no BS if it says Vortex on it and you send it in they fix it? Even if your not the original owner, no transfer, no problems.

From Vortex website:

Our warranty is about you, not us. It's about taking care of you after the sale.

The VIP stands for a Very Important Promise to you, our customers. We will repair or replace your Vortex product in the event it becomes damaged or defective—at no charge to you. It doesn't matter how it happened, whose fault it was, or where you purchased it. You can count on the VIP Warranty for all riflescopes, red dots, rangefinders, binoculars, spotting scopes and monoculars.
•Unlimited Lifetime Warranty
•Fully transferable
•No warranty card to fill out
•No receipt needed to hang on to

If you ever have a problem, no matter the cause, we promise to take care of you.

Last edited:
Stands behind their product, like a 100% no BS if it says Vortex on it and you send it in they fix it? Even if your not the original owner, no transfer, no problems.

From Vortex website:

Our warranty is about you, not us. It's about taking care of you after the sale.

The VIP stands for a Very Important Promise to you, our customers. We will repair or replace your Vortex product in the event it becomes damaged or defective—at no charge to you. It doesn't matter how it happened, whose fault it was, or where you purchased it. You can count on the VIP Warranty for all riflescopes, red dots, rangefinders, binoculars, spotting scopes and monoculars.
•Unlimited Lifetime Warranty
•Fully transferable
•No warranty card to fill out
•No receipt needed to hang on to

If you ever have a problem, no matter the cause, we promise to take care of you.

Please forward this to Leica with an encouraging note as to how to warranty their stuff :)

The Vortex Viper HS 5-15 "MidwayUSA exclusive" is a pretty solid scope. I'm running one on my varmint rifle and I have been really impressed. Its actually $500, I think, but a lot of scope for that $

From my high end glass to my low end glass i own, for low end nothing has come close to my Burris fullfield II for the money.

+1
I have one of these too and have found it to be an exceptionally good scope for the money. Does everything I need it to do.

Check out Swfa, there fixed power classic scopes are a great value. I have there 10x model and its great for target shooting and I also use it for coyotes and others critters.

A big plus is that they have matching mill/mill turrets and reticle.

There built well and function great, and for 299$ very hard to beat

If you can swing the extra cash they also offer a 3-9x42 FFP mill/mill that has received some great reviews its around 600$

Last edited:
I picked up a Burris Black diamond for $425 on an auction and I have been very surprised at the quality of the glass. they no longer make this model but if you can find one the lifetime warranty still applies and they use to sell for $800+

there is a 6-24x FFP scope, believe its called afalcon, for $400 can't attest to the quality tho.

SWFA SS fixed in 12, 16 or 20. I chose the latter for my 65 year old eyes. Mil/mil reticle and turrets. With the higher mags FOV decreased, eyebox limited and will appear darker, but has never been a problem for me only shooting targets during the day. Might be an issue hunting. Rugged good tracking scope for $300 with good glass.

I have to agree here I have 2 of the 3-9 fullfuild 2 and for the money you cant go wrong, less than 200. You wont need more than 9x for 400 yards, I shoot a 10x to a K all the time. Another option might be one of the weaver tactical scopes they are pretty nice and can be found used in your price range.

Don't discount Sightron scopes either.
They make some nice scopes that might fit your budget.

Vortex viper. They are reliable, clear glass with the best warranty. I can shoot 300,600 or 900 yards and then back to 100 and its dead on every time. It's a scope for the money. You won't be disappointed.

I have a mueller for my DPMS .308 less than four bills works great had it for over tens years ,, hit steel at 850 yes plus one on my slug gun never a problem or holding zero

I would suggest a Primary Arms 4-14 FFP scope. Another good alternative would be the SFP Nikon Buckmaster MilDot

Cameraland has a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 for $279ish. I bought one for my spsv 308, and spst 223, great scope for the money. The deal only applies to the wideplex reticle, because it is discontinued. The same scope with any other reticle is almost $500. However, I am very fond of the fine croshairs, and couldn't be happier with the glass.

I appreciate the heads up... I ordered one today.