• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

best .50 cal upper??? and AR 10

Re: best .50 cal upper??? and AR 10

i just got word about them myself. very interested. As one that is also on a budget, I'd love to pick up a 24" 338 upper as my big bore of choice. .416 might be a lil much even though my uncle's M99 in .416 should be a blast. The .338 upper would look peachy keen inside a Storm case all snuggled up to my .243WSSM AR. Like a big brother... of course, I'd have to get a can for it too, so thats another $1200. time to find another job.

OH, and has anyone tried "any of the big bore uppers" and seen any damage to the lower receiver?
A sniper buddy made the comment to me when we discussed them, that the recoil might wreak havoc on the pins. Sure hate to see oval shaped pin holes after a few hundred rounds.

BOHICA would be the cheap way to go. Don't worry so much about lower damage. The muzzle brake will keep the damage to a minimum. Optics wise go with a SS 10X cheap and tuff. You should be under $2K for the entire setup out the door.

Skip the .416 not enough development. Go with a .50, .375CT, .408CT, or .338LM

Hey, this is Mike at Zel Custom. We've got a Bushmaster and a DPMS lower that each have many hundreds of rounds fire on them. There is no sign of stress on the lower. The only wear and tear on them is from mounting and unmounting so many uppers.

We're planning on getting a lot more test and eval units out there so you guys can get some third-party reports, from names you will know and trust. We're backordered on Gen-3 uppers and it's causing problems getting the T&E units out.

But here's the thumbnail. I bought the production assets of Ligamec, last summer. They made the Ultralite 50, which was what the BOHICA was modeled on. The UL50 was not capable of the accuracy that we wanted to deliver. The problem was that the upper receiver was comprised of five different parts which were welded and/or screwed together. While that method is fast and cheap, it's practically impossible to get the parts perfectly straight, plus the welds are always a potential source of fractures. So, we spent the last six months re-engineering the product to machine the upper receiver from a single piece of steel. The advantage is very significant improvement in strength plus perfect alignment of the integrated scope rail and integrated barrel extension. BOHICA addressed the accuracy problem with the UL50 by moving to cast parts. While I believe BOHICA's is a good approach and people are very happy with BOHICA products, I believe our approach is even better. The difference is immediately identifiable to anyone who's ever compared a cast part to a machined part. Unfortunately, our approach and product is costlier, but I think we are still a great value.

We are dedicated to delivering accuracy and durability at an affordable price. To me, $2k is a lot of money for someone to spend on an upper. Our customers put their faith in me that we're going to deliver a good value and I'm committed to seeing that their faith is not misplaced.

Thanks for the info Mike. Keep us updated.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TeleThrasher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey, this is Mike at Zel Custom. </div></div>

Thanks for the info Mike and thanks HK for the link...a great read.
Mike, what kind of accuracy are you getting from your different models respectively? I see Sub MOA with the Super Match and Match Ammo, but how bout the others? Anything posted on your site?

I think a T-1 Super Match .338LM in 29" could serve me very well.

Btw, I see the T-3 talk, but dont know what it is. Any insight for us "Hiders"

Sorry about the apparent lack of reply. I had actually replied earlier, but I either failed to hit reply or it got pulled for crossing the line into "car salesman" content. I'll keep this one simpler.

We don't post accuracy data but we're aiming to get a bunch into the hands of genuine third-parties for arms-length reviews. We're hoping to be able to get these into the hands of folks you'll know and trust.

I'll be sure to post news about the T3, here on the Hide, as soon as I can. It's not earth-shattering, but we've gotten a bunch of requests for something like it.

If you end up ordering the .338 LM from us, give me a call and let me know you're from Sniper's Hide.

Best regards,
Mike