• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Best 700 trigger for field and range?

Winny94

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Nov 19, 2013
    I need a new trigger for my 700. I'm looking for something in the 2.5lb range that can also be used safely while hunting.

Thanks for any help

Or look at the Timney 510 at less than half the price of a Huber. Timney's are well proven and reliable triggers for the Remington 700 that can be easily adjusted and if you order direct from Timney they will set it at your requested pound setting.

Or look at the Timney 510 at less than half the price of a Huber. Timney's are well proven and reliable triggers for the Remington 700 that can be easily adjusted and if you order direct from Timney they will set it at your requested pound setting.

He asked "best"... not great, but "best"... just sayin

Timney is probably the best value for your needs in a non-Remington trigger, but don't overlook the Remington (especially with a new spring from Ernie the Gunsmith). Huber is probably the best, but isn't cheap...

Take a look at the Timney Calvin Elite, suppose to be really good triggers

I put a Timney 510 trigger on my 700 instead of shipping the rifle back to Remington for their recall. The Timney came with a pull weight of 3 lbs, which is fine for me. That Huber 2 stage trigger looks great; most of my shooting has been done on service rifles and they all have two stage triggers. I miss that on my 700.

But, priorities are important and I'd like to swap out my Nikon Monarch for a Nightforce NXS, so the Huber 2 stage will just have to wait.

Timney 510 is a great trigger. It often times requires some milling work to be done to the bottom metal. A dremel could be used but it wouldn't look at good.

Shilen triggers are great for aftermarket actions. I find them to be unreliable in Rem700s, because of the sloppy tolerances I assume.
    The Shilens are great in aftermarket actions though. I think we put Rifle Basix safety kits on them.

Remember, nothings "drop in". Check things carefully.

I put a Timney 510 on my R700 instead of sending it back to Remington. Ordered direct from Timney just prior to the recall and spec'd it to break at 2.5 pounds.

Every time I let someone else shoot the rifle they look at me after the first round and say "damn, that's a smooth trigger".