• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Best 9mm or 45 acp pistol to suppress?

spotswood

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2009
Florida
I am looking to set up a new 9mm or 45 pistol with suppressor. Which caliber and which pistol and which suppressor will work best?

I am looking at a Glock generation 4 Model 19 but then will have to buy a longer barrel and have it threaded and decide on the suppressor. Is there a way to order a Model 19 with a model 17 barrel threaded?

Are any pistols set up to where you can optionally
lock the slide down with a suppressor so they do not cycle?

Is there a better pistol out there already set up? My friend told me to check out the new Springfields of which I am not familiar with.

My only pistol suppressor experience is my Walther P22 with a Gemtec that works great.

I want to set up something similar in 9mm or 45.
Thanks for the input.
Gary

Re: Best 9mm or 45 acp pistol to suppress?

Dunno about Glocks, sold my one and only about ten years ago, but I just went through this with a SIG 226. OEM barrel with thread protector was around $250, can is in the transfer process (AAC Evo 9mm).

Seems like no matter what gun you buy you'll still need a barrel for it. Shop around on gunbroker.com.

the 9mm stuff is cheaper to run, but the heavier 147grn stuff can be a tad pricey,,,,if you wish to be hollywood quiet

I have also been looking at the HK tactical which comes with an extended threaded barrel and am thinking either the USP Tactical with a gemtech or the larger MK23 with a gemtec. Both guns come with raised sights so I won't have the problem of the can blocking out lower sights.
I am also thinking 45 may be the best since the velocities are lower and I get the added benefit of stopping power.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: spotswood</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have also been looking at the HK tactical which comes with an extended threaded barrel and am thinking either the USP Tactical with a gemtech or the larger MK23 with a gemtec. Both guns come with raised sights so I won't have the problem of the can blocking out lower sights.
I am also thinking 45 may be the best since the velocities are lower and I get the added benefit of stopping power.</div></div>

them factory barrels are threaded left hand metric....just sayin

9mm Glock with Lone Wolf conversion threaded barrel. You can buy the barrel for your model Glock for $100 or so. They are available in different thread pitch depending on the threads on your suppressor. I have a Glock 32 (.357 Sig). Bought a Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel with threads and 9mm mags. Swap back to .357 Sig if I choose to. I already had that Glock so conversion was cheaper than a new pistol with threaded barrel. If it were not for the price tag, I'd buy the sig combat with threads.
9mm 147 grain sub-sonic ammo can be bought $250 for 1000 rounds delivered at this site.
http://www.unammo.com/

The easiest 9mm pistol to suppress is the Beretta 92. The factory barrel is long enough to thread so there is no need to purchase an aftermarket barrel. If the can is lightweight, no piston/Nielson device is required for the gun to cycle. But Berettas are passe now.

You can answer the question yourself, however. Really the point is, "what pistol do you want to shoot?" It is possible to suppress <span style="text-decoration: underline">nearly</span> any pistol. If you like Glocks, get a Lone Wolf barrel and don't look back. If you like SIGs, get their factory threaded barrel. HK Tacticals come with threaded barrels.

I am looking hard at the HK USP Tactical as I think the MK23 is just too big for me and getting the gun in 45 ACP.
Since I have a Volkman on order that he has not even started yet I thought I could set the Volkman up with an extended threaded barrel also that would work with the can.
Then when I order the can get an extra piston thread that would work for the 1911 model Volkman and the can would work with both guns.

Does this sound logical?

Two parts to your question, the first is almost impossible to answer without you knowing what you need as far as a host. The second is your question about the ability to "lock the slide." That is a rather unusual question on these threads. If it is your intent to eliminate mechanical noise on your new host thru lock-out, there are already a few givens. One, your shooting subsonic as there is no reasons to cancel the quieter mechanical noise if your going to create supersonic projectile signature. Secondly, your going to buy a top end quiet can. Some 9mm and .45 cans are just plain loud. Thirdly, you are hand cycling and are ok with that. 9mm should suppress more efficiently than .45. If that is your intent then you can go at eliminating mechanical noise a numbers of ways. First, is what you described, a lock-out on the host. Second, a lock-out on the can.

Slide locks on hosts are rare in their initial design, add-ons are more common and, for the most part, are hard on the frame. We see some attempts, here are a couple. Note-yes, that is a photo of one of the "never existed" Army issue, true semi automatic (not manual) Semmerling XLMs in .45acp. In other words, when you aren't in lock up on the XLM that micro .45 auto loaded! It still is the smallest .45 ACP automatic ever produced at 3.8" X 1".

Mk9_M9.jpg

werr.jpg

f_DSC0003m_eacc90e.jpg

Every one has an opinion on slide lock-outs, your asking, so mine is the two kits in production do work, but are the wrong way to go. Every one I have seen was made to work in a very limited operational environment. In other words, they have real detrimental effects on the frame/slide/rails. I've seen cracks, stretching/distortion and jams.

IMO, The right way is to lock out the can through proper tuning on the Neilson device. I wrote a piece a while back on "putting your can on its ears" essentially over riding the Neilson device by a quick twist of the wrist on some can designs. Those providers planned for this feature in the Neilson and the results leave the host frame alone. When one realizes that most can makers over-pressure their can to begin with to INSURE cycling (already a problem for some alloy frames) the right way to go is to TUNE the Neilson. If your maker can tune, usually through proper matching of host, rounds, suppressor and springs, you are done and have a great host that will last.

ALL-SET.jpg

stretch.jpg

Good news and bad news. The bad news is that can lock-out requires a quality adjustable Neilson and tuning. That takes time and requires both having a broad spectrum of Neilson springs to choose from and using ammo within the tuned spec. Most can makers don't include lock-out as an option, and those that do will do the work for folks that actually need the requirement. The good news is that once its done, to go from auto to manual is 3 seconds. You should also know that the process favors steel frames (heavier slide weights) with 1911 frames in either 9mm or .45acp being most often seen.

Good luck.

P.S. if yo think a P22 with a Gemtech unit works great, you have some real positive experiences ahead of you.

The SIG 226 and 220 are in 9mm and .45 ACP , respectively . Both come in 'Combat' models , with raised sights , threaded barrels , corrosion-resistant internals , and M1913 Picatinny rails - lasers are a handy silencer accessory ... The H&K Tacticals are available in the same calibers if you don't mind plastic frames , but they will need adapters on their H&K propietary rails . H&K does make newer models with M1913 rail , if it matters ...

For .45, I have a G21 with a Lone Wolf barrel and AAC Ti-RANT. It is QUIET!

While I don't know about best... I decided on the G19 and lone wolf threaded barrel.

you can get both for about $630 and well the suppressor sky is the limit I guess..
plus mags are cheap and you can get 30 rnd mags for it pew pew pew

so bang, meet buck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL57M4ni4_w

2010-12-19_18-32-23_164.jpg