• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Best 9mm sub compact carry pistol

fisho91

Private
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2012
This has probably been talked about on here befor, but im just curious. I am looking to get a small 9mm to carry, my glock is to big to carry everywhere i go.
What do yall think is the best and will not kill my wallet?

I like the glock 26 but it is a little think for CC. I have a kel-tec 9mm that is super small but still haven't been able to fire it. Kahr is another brand to look at. Good luck

I've carried a glock 26,kahr pm9 and a glock 36 all three where good for me,the 36 got most of the carry time for me. Find what you like best and go from there. The most important part is a good belt and holster

I gave this careful consideration and research a few months ago. I settled on a Kahr CM 9. Most of the newer small 9's are still a little too big for pocket carry, in both size and weight. The Kahr weighs about the same as an Airweight J frame, is a little smaller, is very accurate at defensive distances, and holds seven rounds.
Old habits die hard and I cant keep from carrying my J frame, but if you want an awesome micro 9 at a great price get the Kahr CM 9!

I've shot every gun mentioned by the previous posters. Without question the Shield in 9mm is my favorite and what I own currently. If you had not put a limitation on caliber I would've said the XDs .45.

My g/f and I bought his/hers Springfield Armory 9mm Enhanced Micro Pistols (EMP) a couple of years back.
We are both single-action aficionados, and the EMP is the first production 1911 made from the ground up to shoot short cartridges like 9mm.
We have nothing bad to say about the 9mm EMP.

My vote is for the S&W Shield. Good compromise of size/firepower/shootability IMHO.

I'm using a Glock 26. I had to grind the hump off the backstrap though. Now the grip angle is like a 1911.

I've carried a Springfield XDs 9mm before (it was actually my now ex-wife's), and it's a great pistol; shot flawlessly over about 1000 rounds in my experience with it. Between it and a Glock 26, I say it's a toss-up and would come down to what grip angle you prefer.

However, keep in mind that you're still running near the full width of a standard pistol and that may interfere with when you want to carry it. I'd say that if you're running into the issue of not being able to carry a compact, then the next step would be a pocket pistol, not just a sub-compact. You of course should be able to figure that one out though at the gun shop, just wear the clothing you're having the issues with and try it out there.

I carry a P2000SK. I've had a few Glock 26's and M&P's and my wife carries an SR9c. In my order for compacts it's SK>G26>SR9c>M&Pc Even with an ATEi trigger the M&P9c is a bastard child. The Shield is a much more accurate pistol than the 9c. I think the G26 is probably one of the finest compact striker pistols ever made but the P2000SK edges it out in overall quality and accuracy. ..not that I could ever even begin to out shoot either one of them.

For true Sub Compact wonder 9's, The PPS and the Shield are the only two that I would consider high quality. I have a modified Kel-Tec PF9 and although I've never had a malfunction with it, it is a throw away gun. The only time I carry it is when I'm at the gym and I can't fit anything else.

In Name only Springfield's are Croatian crap that's popular because of it's price, not because of its reliability.

G26. With a mag extension its about the smallest you can go, while still being accurate. I have medium size hands and any smaller would be impossible to shoot. 12 rounds of 9mm in a gun of the size is hard to beat.

Most of the smaller guns will have relibility issues. Put 1000+ through them all and it will be clear why the glock is used.

I had most of the above, I am really liking the Kimber Solo.
Feels like a mini 1911 right down to the controls.

Thank yall for all this information. I recon i have alot of decision making to do!

I like the G26, but would like to grab a Shield when they ever get any in stock. I tried the Kahr's but the long trigger pull with my long fingers just doesn't work.

I gave this careful consideration and research a few months ago. I settled on a Kahr CM 9. Most of the newer small 9's are still a little too big for pocket carry, in both size and weight. The Kahr weighs about the same as an Airweight J frame, is a little smaller, is very accurate at defensive distances, and holds seven rounds.
Old habits die hard and I cant keep from carrying my J frame, but if you want an awesome micro 9 at a great price get the Kahr CM 9!

J frame smith-best carry gun ever made imho.
I have (2) glock 23s and (1) S&W model 37 as my CCW guns
care to guess which gets carried the most?

Picked up a Sig 938 a while back, great little gun. A little pricey but recoil control is impressive for such a small pistol

I guess it really depends on how you plan on holstering it. If its on a belt or ankle, I like the HK P2000SK, G26 or even a S&W 940 revolver (wifes). For pocket carry, hard to beat the Kahr all steel frames (I hate their poly framed guns). I see the Shield gaining in popularity but haven't shot one yet so cant comment.

Are you currently carrying the glock? I was not clear if you are currently carrying it or just assuming it would be too thick. If you have not carried it, try it out for a couple weeks and see what you think. I used to carry a g19 and now a HK USPc.

If I misunderstodd and you have carried the glock- them my vote is a 3" barrel 1911 style. They seem to carry very thin and still shoot well.

I am carrying the G 26 as a primary carry gun.. but looking for a slim 9mm for beach weather in VA

Also I haven't shot one but I have heard numerous good things about the XDS as well. I just personally like the feel of the Shield better. I would say take a day and handle as many as you can. Narrow it down to several that you like and then do some more research.

Don't forget about the Walther PPS in 9mm, about the size of the shield, I carried one for a while, nice gun.....

Mike

Plus 1 on the pps9 I have carried it for at least 2 years very nice , just changed it for a sigsaur p238 ( smaller package , at the cost of a smaller cal.)

image.jpg
Pps 9
image.jpg
The sig on top a glock 26

Kahr PM9.

legitimately fits in a pocket. Shoots great. Excellent action for a pocket pistol. Adequate capacity.

Its the best compromise out there as far as I'm concerned.

personally from what ive found with CCW, especially concerning summer style carry... (and yes im a shorter athletic build guy 5'9 165, my shirts fit me athletic or tapered.) ..is this:
If i cant get a grip on it... (large to XL hands, my glock gen 4 wears the large backstap and honestly i'd like it bigger)...then i dont like shooting it. I had a ruger LCP that thing was easy as hell to conceal, I hated shooting it. I shot hogs with it to test it, it made 2" deep fmj "stab wounds" (shoting several diffrent "JHP" including dpmx and fiotchi). i could have stabbed the hog with a flaming pencil and got the same result. I switched to the M&P shield, its nowhere near as easy to conceal as the lcp, and at first i couldnt get a good grip on the smaller mag. I got so used to the glock grip the S&W felt like it had a "hump in the handle" even more felt with the extension, which i felt was too long. after appling some talon rubber grips, its so much better to handle. I saved the excess trim from the handle and put a strip across the magazine floor plate of the shorter mag (it comes with one for the extended) and it works good, i can grip that last bit with my pinky. I will say no matter what mag length i use when i ride high to get the webbing (in between my thumb and pointer finger) up in the [brain fart, area on the grip nearest the slide] my middle finger feels CRAMMED into the underside of the trigger guard. but still WAY easier to shoot than the LCP, and easier on my hands. I dunno my best advice is: if you dont care about "accruacy", can deal with point blank (natural point of aim),dont mind the long triggers and resets, and dont care about the gun flipping and tearing in your hands in a time of need: go with the LCP and simulars (keltec/diamondback). but for the weight, feel in my hand, and shoot-ablity im happy with the sheild or PM9 and i'll go the extra mile to wear diffrent clothes to pack it.

Edit notes: anyone worried about the shield safety being a problem, that sum-bitch is hard to get on and my natural address (thumb falling over the top) switches it right off. " if you dont like safeties youd just never use it" hard to engage anyway. I will say new out of the box. the slide is easy except the last 20% needed to lock it open. so your wifeys can easily chamber one. but that thing is like a Kahr trying to lock it back, takes some breaking in.
oh and for those wondering the shield 9mm hornady xtp 147gr made avg tomato size cavaties in the hogs.

Last edited:
Currently have a G26 and looking at an Rohrbaugh Firearms R9 anyone have any experience with the R9?

I don't personally, but I've heard some reviews... not very good. Apparently they call for a VERY short replacement cycle on their recoil spring.

EDIT: looked it up- 200rds. Must replace the recoil spring every 200 rds! And I haven't heard stellar reviews on over-all reliability. I picked up a PM9

Last edited:
I think my Shield 9mm might possibly be the perfect carry gun for me. I have had Glock, Kahr, ect.... and none feel as good in the hand or shoot as well for me than the Sheild. I can't wait to drop an APEX trigger in it soon.
image_zps1e7dd4d7.jpg

Last edited:
I had a Kahr PM9 and loved it. The only problem is that my wife liked it as well and so it is now hers. As mentioned above, the only complaint I have is having to break it in. My wife had trouble racking the slide at first, but it does loosen up with use. I'm debating buying another one, but I hate owning 2 of the same firearms and am leaning towards picking up a Shield if I can find one.

As far as the Rohrbaugh, hated it. I always like nice things and my mind sometimes falsely persuades me to believe that more expensive means better. That little sum bitch is snappy and a pain in the ass to shoot. I also hate the old European style mag release. If you need a 9mm in the smallest package possible, it's a great gun. For me it comes down to enjoyment. If I don't enjoy shooting it, I won't train with it. And if I don't train with it, I shouldn't carry it.

I believe you would be well armed ( defensively ) with either a G26, M&P shield, Khar PM9, Beretta nano, or Ruger LCP and one or two extra mags. Which ever feels better in hand and which ever YOU shoot better. I consider all to be IWB guns myself BTW.
As for me, I feel reasonably well armed with a 340PD in the pocket and one speed strip. Bear in mind, I try very hard to blend into crowds, avoid trouble, am reasonably aware of my surroundings at all times, and have above average foot speed in a dead sprint.

I would go with the Shield. It is just under 1" thick, and otherwise of a healthy size that fits in your hand well. The thinness helps it not print. S&W worked hard to make this model an upgrade over the M&P fullsize and compact.

A lot of votes for the Shield!

We all have our preferences and ideas of what makes something good. Once I handled a Shield, I crossed it off my "interested" list. Here's why"

NOTE: I'm not dissing the shield, just sharing my thought process, which might help someone else narrow down what will work best for them...

I've carried a fullsize XD45, A glock 20, Glock 21, XD40sc, Smith 442, Glock 30, Glock 19, Glock 36 and Kahr PM9.

I've learned I'm a pocket-carry kind of guy. When I'm about to walk out the door and realize I need to grab my pistol, I'm FAR less likely to actually fetch it and put it on my person if I have to undo a belt or spend any time attaching it to me. I'm lazy. A pocket pistol in a pocket holster allows me to simply grab it and stuff it in my pocket - and head out the door.

For a pocket pistol to be *reasonably* carried, it must be small enough it can go into and come OUT OF the pocket reasonably. This will depend on what kind of pants you wear. While the pistol is in your pocket, you must be able to walk, run, bend down, kneel, etc etc without the pistol poking you and reminding you it's there all the time.

So, those factors alone dicate to me I need a small pistol. The Shield does not qualify as a legitmate pocket pistol.

If I'm going to go through the effort of attaching my pistol to my waist, whether IWB or OWB, I have opened up a whole new world of possibilities in terms of size and capacity. I'm no longer limited to a tiny pistol with low capacity - so I'm NOT going to choose a "small" or "low capacity" pistol. I'm not going to choose a pistol just slightly bigger, or with just slightly more capacity than my baby pocket pistol. I'm going to step up to a real pistol. Usually, that will be a G19, G20, G21, G29 or G30.

Last edited:
I dont know if anyone mentioned Sig p938, figured i would throw it out there... nice gun

Personally, I carry a Rohrbaugh R9 when I carry small. There are a couple of trains of thought concerning the R9. Some people say they are "too expensive". Others would rather buy 2-4 other small pistols, then there are those of us that own R9's...

I have owned Glock, Kel-Tec, Ruger, Kahr, and several other sub compacts. One day a friend of mine explained to me that the R9 was the Rolex of the tiny guns. I didn't believe him. Then I held and shot one...now I own one. And if you want to talk about cost...what's your life worth again?

I carry my SIG P290. I really like this pistol, carrying IWB is good to go and comfortable. Shoots pretty nice too!

I carry a ruger sr9c. It's fairly cheap, and i love it! i shot over a thousand rounds of four or five different kinds of ammo all the way from the weakes to +p defense loads without cleaning. I've never had any sort of failure whatsoever with this gun. always feed well and functions flawlessly. tried to get it to jam by limpwristing what have you. always works. real good gun for the money.

My main go to CC gun is my xd 9mm sc, it goes with me everywhere. I carry it in a Milt Sparks vm2. I have also carried a EMP9mm in a VM2 as well. Both conceal very good for me at about the 2-3oclock position. I no longer have the EMP but it was a nice pistol I often regret selling.

I went through the process of deciding the same thing a while ago.

I ended up with a Sig P938 and couldn't be happier. I can pocket carry this pistol and conceal it with zero issues. It is basically a mini 1911, and even with my large hands, have no problem using it. Comes with night sights already installed.

M&P shield is what I was looking for before trying the 938. Feels like an XD to me and is a great gun. Can't go wrong with either, but after firing both, i'm glad I got the Sig.