• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Accuracy Bolt Gun for $2500 - $3000

I went with the MPA BA in 6.5 CM. I saw the suggestion about having them add a switch lug to the build. Allows for swapping calibers and barrels in a few minutes is what I’m seeing. Does adding a switch lug have an impact on accuracy? Any negative to a switch lug?

I went with the MPA BA in 6.5 CM. I saw the suggestion about having them add a switch lug to the build. Allows for swapping calibers and barrels in a few minutes is what I’m seeing. Does adding a switch lug have an impact on accuracy? Any negative to a switch lug?
No negatives from my view. Only possible downside is that you cant’t always find a pre-fit barrel off the shelf for a Curtis Axiom that accounts for the switch lug. You need to buy the pre-fit that will ensure the barrel accounts for it. I ordered the extra barrel directly from MPA since they have the specs on the individual action directly by the serial #. If you just went online to any site (like trying to by surplus barrels from Keystone or similar) that has barrels for an Axiom you would need to confirm with them first since it likely wasn’t made for the switch lug.

Reactions: devildawg2531
Where did you end up purchasing? I am in your exact boat, my head is spinning from all the options and whether to build a custom or buy something like the MPA or ARC.
Check out xtremegunsandammo they have them in stock and have the best prices. Easy to work with and no wait

Which model did you choose? There are so many options!

Here are a couple nice accessories:
Cheek Riser
If you didn't get the folding stock, getting the cheek riser back to the same spot after cleaning each time using the wheels is annoying. With this accessory, you can easily pull it on and off and it doesn't mess with the height. Get Kit A, it comes with the parts you need, Kit B is more expensive and it is the entire assembly which you don't need.

Arca base - you might want to run you bipod on the spigot at the front all the time or you could mount it to an arca base so you can move it back and forth if you do any positional shooting. I have the MPA and Area 419 and the Area 419 version feels higher quality and has a machined knob rather than plastic, but the MPA one is good too.

I just bought the Area 419 ARCA rail, barracade/atlas bipod mount, and their gamechanger bag and mount. Very impressed with the quality and fit on my Tikka A1

Reactions: JBattles
Doesn’t look like the PPR is available in 6.5CM?
PRS shooting has changed at light speed in the last few years. In a matter of about 4-5 years it quickly went from 7mm ruling and the odd 6.5mm, to 6.5mm ruling with a few 6mm and 7mm being obsolete, to now 6mm starting to obsolete everything. I guess GAP just figured that there was no reason to make a 6.5CM when it can't compete equally with a 6CM in this style of shooting competitions.

Looks like Op got a rig, but for anyone watching the thread. IMO and it's simply that, best bang for buck I think starting out (and doesn't have the proper tools to put on barrels, headspace gauges etc.) the Tikka CTR 24" in 6.5 is a good way to go, pull the barreled action, put it in a KRG Whiskey 3 with MCarbo trigger spring. Probably looking at $2k that route plus scope and mount. I think 6.5 Creedmoor gives you a lot more flexibility for bullet selection as well vs the 6mm variants. Run a 123gn if you want a fast round, or go heavier etc whereas the 6mm are a tight window weight wise. Think about factory ammo availabilityofferings vs having to load your own to get the performance you want. I'm not a competitive shooter by any means, but like going to the local matches etc. I have a .224 valk bolt gun that I really like in an AICS chassis that I typically use, a 6.5 creedmoor on an impact action in an MPA comp chassis that I also like a lot, but is a new setup I put together due to the downtime in this garbage pandemic so can't give an informed opinion on it yet however the action is awesome so far. I'd also think about long term, if you love this shit, buy once cry once and get an action that you can work with like an Impact or Nucleus, or Origin etc. so you are just buying barrels vs having your shit sit with a smith for months. It's def more expensive up front, but way way cheaper in the long run if you want to change calibers. Just my 5 cents lol, I'm still hungover from the Corps's bday...happy to chat about my rabbit hole progression too, as I've had many looking back moments.

I'm happy with the Tikka Tac as it will shoot better than I can make it. My13 year oldand my friends son are also running the Tikka for PRS so its nice having 3 rifles shooting the same ballistics. Its helping all of us with the learning curve. I can't help but notice we are not getting the velocity I expected at 2600 fps with 2 rifles running a Heathan and Little bastard brake and I'm 2610 with a Omega can. 140 grain ELD

I'm happy with the Tikka Tac as it will shoot better than I can make it. My13 year oldand my friends son are also running the Tikka for PRS so its nice having 3 rifles shooting the same ballistics. Its helping all of us with the learning curve. I can't help but notice we are not getting the velocity I expected at 2600 fps with 2 rifles running a Heathan and Little bastard brake and I'm 2610 with a Omega can. 140 grain ELD

tikkas shoot straight but are slow...

Just came back from the range, and searched the forum. This seemed the most relevant to post this. I have found that accuracy is more a factor of the right load for the right barrel. Here are two pictures of hits at 200 yards using a Bartlein 6.5CM cut by bugholes, in an MDT chassis, Defiant action and triggertech trigger. The first picture shows factory Federal 140 on the left, and Hornady 140 on the right. Not very good. The second pic shows the same rifle using Sellier&Bellot factory 140 at 200 yards.
God only knows why my barrel likes the cheap stuff, but I can live with that!

Attachments

• 20210625_135859.jpg
    20210625_135859.jpg
    380.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 20210625_135849.jpg
    20210625_135849.jpg
    339.3 KB · Views: 33
MPA just came out with a version 2 of their production class rifle for $2,500

yes my MPA has been great. Easily my most accurate rifle I've ever shot. I actually ordered a 2nd MPA the Hunter Lite with a folding stock with a shorty 18" also in 6.5CM

Diminishing returns is a foreign concept. Lots of options under 2k even

Diminishing returns is a foreign concept. Lots of options under 2k even
I've owned and shot lots of rifles. This is the smoothest and most accurate I have shot. I'm sure other options are of equal quality / equal accuracy as I have never owned other custom / semi custom rifles (unless the Bergara HMR Pro would be considered semi custom... my MPA is levels better than the Bergara

seekins
waypoint
people going to laugh at me but my rugar american predator 6.5 hits clay pigeons all day at 1000

Im really really really liking the Daniel Defense Delta 5 pro. Multi time prs series winner and now the official rifle of the the prs.