• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Best-Accuracy Bullet Weight For .308 1in10 20" Barrel?

Specialized

Private
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2012
Highland, IN
I have a Remington 700 SPS .308 AAC-SD that I'm going to do a build with, and I'm looking for data on accuracy with its 1 in 10 twist rate and the more common bullet weights. My experience so far has been interesting, all with factory ammo and all with the ridiculously-bad Hogue OEM stock (it touches the barrel when used with a bipod, which is really messing things up). My experience has been that 150gr bullets tend to give me horrible groups (larger than a foot in diameter sometimes), and 168gr Federal Match ammo gives me more respectable 2.5" groups, again with the marginal stock. I'm sure it'll do better once I get a real stock on it with real bedding, etc, but I'd appreciate hearing of others' experience with the same barrel and action. Should it stabilize bullets from 147gr-220gr, or is there some subset of the range that would be more realistic to expect? Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Just went out today after I had a detachable mag installed. Same rifle you have with bedding, HS stock and a Timney trigger.
Fed SMK 175 was used for the first time in my gun and the results were huge compared to the other brand 150's used previously.

Last edited:
This rifle should have no problem stabilizing the range that you posted, however I have found that on my rifle (the same model you listed) that I get much better results from 165 - 185.
This is with factory ammo and reloads. We both know that rifles are individuals, so each can vary in their performance, but since you asked I thought I would give my thoughts.

175 smks, 168&178 amaxs, and 178 bthp should work great in it at many ranges. Accuracy should be really good with the 168smk out to 600-700 or so too.

I've had great luck with em in the factory stock that so many people trash talk (didntnlike it either so I changed it) I hated the feel more than the results. Manners was my choice but a hs went on the secind ine and a bc will work or a chassis that's all the rage these days. That's an awesome starter rifle with tons of potential.

Good luck!!!

That barreled action will shoot much better than 2.5" with 168 FGMM if put in a good stock. That stock on it is garbage. Don't spend another dime until you get a new stock. You don't have to spend a lot. You can get a decent stock that will give you better performance for $200-250.

You should be golden with 175 grain bullets - mine will stabilize and shoot anything between 175 to 220 grains very well.

Okay, thank you all for the responses! Looks like the consensus is the 165-180gr range, which is just fine by me. I'm going to get this thing restocked, bedded, and retriggered and see what it does with factory while I work up some loads in that range. I agree it should shoot well; I've seen too many of these that were fixed up that shoot great, and that's primarily why I decided to start with this rifle model. Again, thanks to everyone for the logic check!