• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best action for a Dasher?

TimK

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 13, 2010
Woodland Park, CO
www.timkulincabinetry.com
I have a 6 Dasher on an R700 action. It ejects like crap (cases land back in the port) and dings up the brass. I like the cartridge a lot and will stick with it, but I'm ready to have one built on a good custom action. Any thoughts on what's best suited for the Dasher would be appreciated.

I don't really, Pedro. I've kept my nose out of the custom action world and am remarkably ignorant. I know the TL3 is popular, but I've also heard about Lone Peak, Impact, and a few others I can't recall.

Talk to Josh K. bohem from Patriot Valley Arms. He builds extremely good rifles, has a lot of experience with the Dasher and also a lot of experience with the Bighorn TL3.

He built mine and it hammers. I can't recommend Josh and this combo enough. I've been running mine over a year now. Good luck!

Bighorn Baby! Always Bighorn.

I have heard really good thing about the Impact and Lone Peak too. I bet any of those would work well. I also think an M16 extractor will resolve your issue. Not sure why your getting dented mouths though, unless they are hitting your scope on the way out.

I've seen Kelbly Tactical actions run well in 6 Dasher

Strong ejector spring is mashing the side of the case mouth against the action on extraction I would figure.

TL3 or Mausingfield sounds like it would fix the problem, controlled round feed/ejection will help with the shorter case vs. a plunger style.

TimK I would suggest either a TL3 or a Mausingfield. I have RH SA Mausingfields on the shelf that would work really well with this. My Dasher and BR are both on TL3's because I'm lefty and I didn't have a Mausingfield until very recently.

Either action will run that sweet little case without any issues. JRoberts and I were out shooting my TL3 6BR and his Mausingfield 6 Dasher the other night and they were crushing it. Hit me up in a PM or a direct email. I have a standing offer that barreled actions on a Mausingfield come with either a pair of ARC mags or a $100 labor credit towards the build.

These new bighorn tl3 actions are the shit for a dasher or BR. They are perfect. He'll, my action will even feed a 6BR case without a bullet seated into it. No magazine mods needed either. The ejector doesn't side load the cases either, so ejection is perfect as well. I don't see any other action on the market that compares to them. Lee

Love my TL3 Dasher. Feeds and ejects that BR case sooooo nice.

TL3 is also dang sweet for other reasons. Ability to pull the firing pin spring in one second with no tools. Makes it very easy to check brass fit or bullet seating depth when setting up dies. Swappable bolt head so you can make your rifle a 223 trainer or a short action magnum with just a bolt head and barrel swap. Super consistent headspace from action to action, order up a shouldered barrel from a reputable smith without them ever needing to see the action. Seen one TL3, seen em all.

the surgeon 591 is one of the few actions that will feed a dasher without mag modification. plus they are known for running in "adverse" conditions.

Anyone got one running in a Model 70 or SPR action? Coned bolt, controlled round feed and fixed ejector...

Strong ejector spring is mashing the side of the case mouth against the action on extraction I would figure.

^^^^^^^^
This is the issue.
I have two 6BRs done on 700 actions. I had to shorten the ejector spring on both bolts.
They are set up as single shot rifles with glued in followers.

I set both springs up to extract the case only to the point where mouth sits tipped into the ejection port, but they do not let go of the case.
Never had a dented case mouth with this set up, nor has a case dropped from the port.