• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best action for custom build

Matt_3479

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2009
Looks like my options are Defiance, BAT and stiller. Wanting to do my first long range build, used mostly for range hunting and need to know what action to use. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

You'll get 1000 opinions. Mine is:

1A BAT
1B Nesika
2 Defiance
3 Several others I haven't owned Badger/Bighorn/Pierce etc
4 Stiller (I've owned two and they weren't as smooth as I expected)

Good luck

I personally couldn't go past marks SAC Aplha 11, its defiance built and good value for features after that id go defiance, surgeon, peirce titatium

Being in Canada I'm limited to gunsmiths as well as different actions; so right between the only two gunsmiths I found that seem capable of the job is carrying; pierce, stiller, defiance, bat and there own personal action

Guys, he said the action is going to be for hunting.

OP, the Stiller predator is probably what you want. It has a longer port with notches that are more suitable for hunting rifles (e.g, ejecting unfired cartridges). In addition to Stiller's website, here is a good breakdown of the action on Thoroghbred Rifle's site: Actions - Thoroughbred Rifles

Defiance can probably manufacture something with similar specs. I would call both and compare price vs. lead time. Perhaps Bighorn has something like this too, but I read that they were no longer taking orders direct.

Unfortunately I also don't know of many capable smiths for the job if anyone knows of any

Unfortunately I also don't know of many capable smiths for the job if anyone knows of any

Fill out your profile so we know where you live. Personally, I wouldn't use a smith any more that I can't see face to face with a "reasonable" drive.

I see Alberta tactical rifle supply mentioned a lot on CGN for precision rifles, but I couldn't tell you if they're any good or not. They have a website which always has some rifles listed for sale, as well as what actions they deal I believe.

PGW is another custom rifle maker, based out of Ontario. Their main rifles are the coyote and the timberwolf, which are tactical precision rifles. They started off making custom guns, so they're worth a look as well. They also build there own actions, which are pretty nice.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

I am based out of Ontario. I wish I could get my work done in the states from some of the smiths that that very good reputations. Only gunsmith ican find that offers 1/2 Moa accuracy is Alberta tactical.

I am based out of Ontario. I wish I could get my work done in the states from some of the smiths that that very good reputations. Only gunsmith ican find that offers 1/2 Moa accuracy is Alberta tactical.

Questar International will import firearms into Canada for you if you want an American smith to build you a rifle. It will cost you a little bit of money, but you'll have to decide if its worth it. They're worth talking to anyways.

Questar International will import firearms into Canada for you if you want an American smith to build you a rifle. It will cost you a little bit of money, but you'll have to decide if its worth it. They're worth talking to anyways.

Thank you very much for this information! I will look very hard into this! My first price I received from an Ontario smith was 2400 give or take. Then Alberta tactical for basically the same set up with the difference of a stiller vs defiance was 4800 for the same gun just different smith/different place. If I can possible get a build through MCR who is pretty close to me (closer then Alberta) who offers 1/2moa accuracy would probably be between those prices and get a excellent rifle built by an excellent smith

Looks like my options are Defiance, BAT and stiller. Wanting to do my first long range build, used mostly for range hunting and need to know what action to use. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
That's what I was just checking on was to see if anyone new who would be a good place to buy a action this will be my first also or well I have done a half of one nowv

pick any of the big top of the line brand names and you should be doing well and be happy .

Reactions: Baron23
That's what I was just checking on was to see if anyone new who would be a good place to buy a action this will be my first also or well I have done a half of one nowv
There’s lots of options like bighorn for example

Do a search here and you’ll find many options for prefits and what not. Among many other options that have made their way into the market since 2013 when this thread was posted

Ok yeah I was I don't know man I had bought a savage tactical carbon and I was like there is me a good starting point to build me a rifle and yes it's the first time I have ever built one or anything else my grandpa shot long range he died and I decided I was going to try it and I think all I have done was waste 1500 dollars on the savage

I was on defiance web site yesterday and they had actions for 1600

Ok can you guys see when I type something I guess it's going to take me a day or 2 to figure out what all is what I am not computer savvy and I don't spell real well either a guy told me to go to something so I can make it where you can see where I am from well I didn't figure that out and about didn't find my way back to where I can type but I am from Borden IN

I am brand new to this my grandpa shot long range now I am trying to get into it I don't know if I had told you all yet but I asked about just getting a good action now but I have already started with a savage 110 tactical carbine rifle I am about 5000 almost 6000 into it and Wondering if I should just stop and buy a good action and start from scratch before a dump more in to this savage

I am brand new to this my grandpa shot long range now I am trying to get into it I don't know if I had told you all yet but I asked about just getting a good action now but I have already started with a savage 110 tactical carbine rifle I am about 5000 almost 6000 into it and Wondering if I should just stop and buy a good action and start from scratch before a dump more in to this savage
Do you have multiple accounts or are there actually several new members at once dumping $6k into a savage???

I can see if the optic is a ZCO, atacr 7-35, TT or S&B and used as a starter but how one gets to a 6 grand price tag in a savage is beyond me. The actions are $350 max. Barreled actions are $700-$800 tops with a good prefit. Even the most expensive mdt or even AI chassis is still under $1500. So we’re at $2200 is. Which is what savages elite precision is going for if you just buy factory. For $6k it must have a ZCO on these guns mentioned in last few days

Reactions: Baron23
to start, yes I’ve sorted out my builds 6-7 times
Now lol.

Secondly to spend 6k into a savage seems insane. Even in Canada that’s outrageous. To me you should have a full custom
For that

Reactions: Taylorbok
How the heck do you spend $5000-6000 on a savage in Borden IN? Heck just go to Bass Pro in Clarksville and buy a good rifle.

If I stop now I am really just out the 1600 or so I paid for rifle the rest is just scope and rings
to start, yes I’ve sorted out my builds 6-7 times
Now lol.

Secondly to spend 6k into a savage seems insane. Even in Canada that’s outrageous. To me you should have a full custom
For that
Well I only have like 1600 in to the gun it's self but I bought a vortex
5000-6000 american dollars? It better have a $4000 scope....
Well I have actually just bought the savage 110 tactical carbon it was like 16 or 1700 but my scope and rings where $4,419.07 that's why I was wondering if I should just sell the savage and get me a action and go from there cause I was looking by the time I get a chassis barrel trigger bolt up grade I don't even have the savage left

Do you have multiple accounts or are there actually several new members at once dumping $6k into a savage???

I can see if the optic is a ZCO, atacr 7-35, TT or S&B and used as a starter but how one gets to a 6 grand price tag in a savage is beyond me. The actions are $350 max. Barreled actions are $700-$800 tops with a good prefit. Even the most expensive mdt or even AI chassis is still under $1500. So we’re at $2200 is. Which is what savages elite precision is going for if you just buy factory. For $6k it must have a ZCO on these guns mentioned in last few days
Yes it was all scope and rings but a few months ago I had a 16 in tall 5 and a half inches wide half inch thick and 33 feet long I beam roll over on my toe at a hotel and it was there fault so now I can afford this long range dream that I have always wanted to do

Yes it was all scope and rings but a few months ago I had a 16 in tall 5 and a half inches wide half inch thick and 33 feet long I beam roll over on my toe at a hotel and it was there fault so now I can afford this long range dream that I have always wanted to do
And all I know about it is it is expensive

I bought a raazor gen ll 4.5 -27 x56 with the Horus tremor 3 reticle and precision matches rings

I bought a raazor gen ll 4.5 -27 x56 with the Horus tremor 3 reticle and precision matches rings
For over $4k? If you watch px here you can get them for about $1500 for Gen II. Unless that’s not an option where you live

Well if you already have a Savage I guess you’ve dipped your toe in the water. Maybe consider looking at something like an American Rifle Company Mausingfield if you like controlled round feeding - they can take a solid booting and are considered reliable. Also worth looking at could be a nice factory rifle like an Accuracy International AX series or AT series, or perhaps a Sako TRG 22 or 42 if you want to jump in feet first.

You want something like a Remington 770 or a Mossberg. Don't waste your time with anything less. In the mean time you can save for a good scopey thing.

WTF is happening here? Lol
1669125317634.gif

You want something like a Remington 770 or a Mossberg. Don't waste your time with anything less. In the mean time you can save for a good scopey thing.
Yes I already got a scope and rings I had also bought a savage 110 tactical carbon but then after I started doing a little bit of homework or well I thought I would buy a rifle then just up grade everything that I needed to do then I started actually looking and I figured around 7 to 9 thousand dollars later I would have what I wanted and I don't think any of it would have been savage that's why I was asking if I should just get a good action and go from there and I have a 12 year old boy I will just give him that savage for Christmas I have never even shot it yet I had bought it in April and never found ammo for it till June but I didn't try real heard to find it it's chambered in 6.5PRC but I did get me a vortex razor gen 2 with the Horus retical and I bought the vortex precision matches rings also if the old lady was to stumble across those receipt I will be paying for a divorce also hahaha
Crush injuries to feet are paying for rifle builds.
Carry on.

Crush injuries to feet are paying for rifle builds.
Carry on.
Yes I have been working in Vincennes Indiana but I live in Borden in it's only like a 2 drive well 4 there and back so I have just been staying in this motel through the week well the owner of the place for some reason tried to drive under the breeze way thing with a box trailer that was to tall and knocked down the beam that holds up the roof and I was trying to help him out cause the beam feel in between the truck and trailer but just one end the other end stayed up in the wall pocket and the roof set down on the trailer so I went out there jacked the roof up off of the trailer braces it up took the floor jack jacked the trailer off the truck pushed it back and then he could drive forward and when he put a cumalong on that beam and pulled it out of that wall pocket he put his tractor bucket under it to catch it did all that let it down I got some blocks to put under that one end so he could get his bucket out from under it and when he was backing up he rolled that bucket forward and knocked that be off of that block and cut my big toe and the one next to it off I glad that's all it got cause it was differently cutting off what ever was under it 16 inch tall 5 and a half inches wide half inch thick and 33 feet long

Yes I have been working in Vincennes Indiana but I live in Borden in it's only like a 2 drive well 4 there and back so I have just been staying in this motel through the week well the owner of the place for some reason tried to drive under the breeze way thing with a box trailer that was to tall and knocked down the beam that holds up the roof and I was trying to help him out cause the beam feel in between the truck and trailer but just one end the other end stayed up in the wall pocket and the roof set down on the trailer so I went out there jacked the roof up off of the trailer braces it up took the floor jack jacked the trailer off the truck pushed it back and then he could drive forward and when he put a cumalong on that beam and pulled it out of that wall pocket he put his tractor bucket under it to catch it did all that let it down I got some blocks to put under that one end so he could get his bucket out from under it and when he was backing up he rolled that bucket forward and knocked that be off of that block and cut my big toe and the one next to it off I glad that's all it got cause it was differently cutting off what ever was under it 16 inch tall 5 and a half inches wide half inch thick and 33 feet long

Bruh - I definitely feel for you my mate.

As for the rifle action question… Depending on what funds you have I’d look at the following in ascending order of expense:
Sako TRG22 in 6.5 Creedmoor
Accuracy International AT in 6.5 Creedmoor
Accuracy International AXMC in 6.5 Creedmoor

Another weird option worth looking at:
Desert Tech SRSA2 in 6.5 Creedmoor

You will have better resale with all those rifles compared to a custom if you don’t end up sticking with this or find that you’re shooting ends up being hunting more then shooting at flat ranges and need something lighter to carry.

Calibre I think I’ve made obvious, just get a Creedmoor for simplicity.

Keep the scope you’ve bought.