• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

BEST Action ?

Re: BEST Action ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ronbuck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the BEST action for building a super accurate rifle, propably in 308? </div></div>

My signature receiver of course
wink.gif

All BS'ing aside, take your pick, there's a ton of them.

Well if CounterSniper made an action, that would be the best!

In the mean time, you could settle for a Surgeon and jump in on the group buy.

at the end is the one you can afford and you want to build on.
some people like surgeon, some others like badger, some like the tune rem 700, stiller, bat, ga precision action take your pick.
they all do really good.
and yes this subject again and again and again!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 051F</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> </div></div>

Dude, I'd just have to give up the points and draw a zero for the stage..........I aint shooting nothing like that.

That's just CKA and LL on a typical range day...

5 points to the first person who can tell which is which.

Josh

Sometimes I wish we had post count minimums to be able to start threads.

Talk about being lazy and not even doing their own research.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sometimes I wish we had post count minimums to be able to start threads. </div></div>
Are you saying that I was waiting till 50 for no reason? I'm almost there!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Perhaps one could also ask the best optic, barrel and "break in" while they are at it? </div></div>
I'll use those topics on the first thread I start!!!

My vote for best receiver is the Remington 7400 modded with a weaver rail and special filed to use 40 round AK banana clips.

Hey, I am new just trying to get help on a good action, thought I had found a good source for information ? Thanks to those who offered action info.

Thank you for the information, You are one of the few that offered information instead of criticism.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 051F</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> </div></div>

NOTE> The shooter is not using a muzzle brake. It took the spotters(rifle rest} ass 2 months to recover from the burns when this was tried with a brake....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ronbuck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you for the information, You are one of the few that offered information instead of criticism. </div></div>

Dude, it would be alright if you were the first, tenth, or hundredth newbie to ask this question, but it pops up monthly, if not more often. The beauty of this forum is that you could search and find a metric butt ton of info before you pop a new thread in here on your first post. Use the following link to search before asking questions that have been hashed hundreds of times before. Seriously, book mark it: Linky

Welcome to the Hide

Josh

Dude, When you see questions that have been already asked, and you do not have the answer, why not try to just ignore them. Advice from a " Newbie"

Second this

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SD669</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
fe1a0-Not_this_shit_again.jpg
</div></div>

to try and answer this there are different actions for different applications ,
examples

Accuracy International is a great rifle for arctic cold battle type conditions, will function in any weahter and my 308 shoots in the .2 area

surgeon is an excellent action for precision shooting in relatively "good " weather. say 30 to 90 degrees and can shoot in much colder but the tollerances are closer and the ice will effect the action more than an AW that is designed to clear ice out and function.

one thing to consider its not the action that makes the rifle but the machinist.

Example
remmington 700 action. while considered very good its not on the same level as a Surgeon. but Tac Ops in California has built rifles many of them that can shoot .1 groups
Surgeon the same.

so the question is what action do you prefer and who will be your Gunsmith / machinist??

Take your time and pick carefully

Bill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ronbuck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dude, When you see questions that have been already asked, and you do not have the answer, why not try to just ignore them. Advice from a " Newbie" </div></div>

Thanks for the advice, albeit poor. However, there are tons of people, including me, who could give you their thoughts on the best action. Why would I choose to? It's been asked and it has been beaten to death. I, along with most others, would rather not wade through posts like this and watch them get bumped to the top when the OP doesn't get an answer. I cannot think of the number of times people log on for the very first time and pop in a new thread. Do a bit of reading and then ask some educated questions. Asking a question like the above helps no one.
I get it that guys want to participate, but there is so much knowledge here it is incredible. I was a member for at long while before posting. There are new issues that crop up every day that everyone benefits from. This is not one of them. I am normally more than hospitable, but it is absolutely incredible that people continue to bypass every established resource.
I was a newbie as well, but I chose to read. I know some are more for instant gratification, but that will further make the forum a morass to slog through.

Josh

I dont think there is truly 1 best action . gap,rem700 or 40x or surgeon they are all good. It is who you get to build it that really makes the difference. In my opinion
grin.gif

I would tend to give the gentleman a break and figure with only 7 posts he does not know about the search function.
I personally had trouble using the search thread that is at the top of this page for quite awhile. Only after someone gave me a better link for the search engine was I successful with that process.
At times I don't quite understand some of the responses from some on this site.

Surgeon Rifles - great people and a solid product that is tough to beat. Have em cerakote the action, or try ionbond, NP3....

+1 to Bill S's comments..

welcome to the Hide. (the search function isn't stellar at times )

ronbuck the short answer to your question is there is no answer. The above comments about a rifle being more about the smith then the brand are correct. We all have our likes and dislikes, and these preferences comes from experiences we have had. This is why anyone who has spent significant time behind a rifle know exactly what we want in a custom rifle.

Also your question shows a serious lack of research prior to asking. For starters this question has been asked hundreds of times, thus there were plenty of threads already in existence that could have answered your question and then some. Secondly the question is very subjective (had you done a search you would have found this out). As I already said any shooter with experience behind a rifle has developed his or her own unique taste.

Also you have to remember that a firearm is a tool. Thus you pick the right tool for the job. And all of my tools preform exceedingly well. Thus when picking an action I sit down and look at the specs from various manufacters and see what fits my needs best for what I am trying to accomplish. For example both my hunting and Tactical type rifles are sub 1/2 moa rifles, however each are built differently because have different jobs.

Rather than ask what the best action is, look at the person doing the work as well as what you are willing to put up with in terms of wait times. Many want the "best" 'smith but aren't willing to wait. Piorities are 1) 'smith 2) components and 3) wait time.

Bench rest type shooting= Stiller
Tact/field shooting = Surgeon
Combat long range= Remington or AI
These are in my opinion. I see then as a general rule and what is readily available, but others are right all links back to a good smith to finish the gun to suit YOU. But they are good bases to start.

Flame suit on......... flame away bitches!
laugh.gif

oh P.s. if i just go of your title....... the 4 Thai girls i had at once last time i was there....was the best action i have had for a long time and they realy new how to work my bolt......at least i think thery were girls???????

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 64C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bench rest type shooting= Stiller
Tact/field shooting = Surgeon
Combat long range= Remington or AI
These are in my opinion. I see then as a general rule and what is readily available, but others are right all links back to a good smith to finish the gun to suit YOU. But they are good bases to start.

Flame suit on......... flame away bitches!
laugh.gif

oh P.s. if i just go of your title....... the 4 Thai girls i had at once last time i was there....was the best action i have had for a long time and they realy new how to work my bolt......at least i think thery were girls??????? </div></div>

LOL....I went to Thailand with my wife....no unauthorized bolt cycling.
frown.gif

ronbuck, go over to 6mmbr.com and check out the actions page. It will get you started very well. It's a few years old, so there is some new stuff out there. Custom actions are nice, but if you don't want to spend as much $$ there are factory rifles (.308 especially) that are generally very accurate out of the box. Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ronbuck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the BEST action for building a super accurate rifle, propably in 308? </div></div>

A new contender and can be had with built in canted picatinny rails,recoil lugs and too top it off can be had in titanium.

Finally a custom tactical titanium action to solve our 17lb tactical rifle problems
laugh.gif

http://competitiveedgegunworks.com/

Steve

As far as an all out precision machined Reciever BAT is probably the best, however, as stated, an action that has a thou or less play between the bolt and Reciever is not likely the one you want to drag through the mud.

The barrel and the gunsmith doing the chambering job are of alot more importance than the action.

Excuse me if this is redundant but in the BR crowd i think BAT is in the winner circle alot holding the current UK 1,000yd record. I was told by a very reputable gunsmith that BAT is the only perfectly machined action he had come across (he holds multiple records and is a local icon).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuleHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As far as an all out precision machined Reciever BAT is probably the best, however, as stated, an action that has a thou or less play between the bolt and Reciever is not likely the one you want to drag through the mud.

The barrel and the gunsmith doing the chambering job are of alot more importance than the action.

Excuse me if this is redundant but in the BR crowd i think BAT is in the winner circle alot holding the current UK 1,000yd record. I was told by a very reputable gunsmith that BAT is the only perfectly machined action he had come across (he holds multiple records and is a local icon). </div></div>The BAT is thought of highly,no doubt.But perfect it is not.All machining is done to a target dimension,at that target is a tolerance.The smaller the tolerance,the more we get to pay.Pretty simple really.Like you said,close targets between moving parts(bolt and receiver)do not make a good feild gun.What you get with small tolerances is predictable results at a finished product.

Can I delete this....can I ....can I.....?.?.?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The slightest stray from the subject at hand and it will go. </div></div>

Is that a promise? OK, here goes: How's the weather at 30*02'38"N Lat, 87*00'25"W Lon ?
grin.gif

-Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cavemanmoore</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The slightest stray from the subject at hand and it will go. </div></div>

Is that a promise? OK, here goes: How's the weather at 30*02'38"N Lat, 87*00'25"W Lon ?
grin.gif

-Chris </div></div>

Cold and very wet ;p

I'll personally endorse any manufacturer on this question

(pending-they'll provide me a free sample action I can keep, coddle and call my very own...(waiting impatiently))