• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best "affordable" 22 out there

Appalachian Shadow

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 17, 2012
USA
Hey everyone,

I was wondering what everyone thinks is the best affordable (say under $400) .22 out there. I personally like Browning/Remington rifles but I know a lot of people like their Rugers etc. Please post Make/Model/Price and I look forward to seeing what everyones input is.

Re: Best "affordable" 22 out there

I have been really happy with the Savage Mark II bv's that I have been picking up for about 325.00.

This is a very easy solution. Get a CZ 452 Varmint or also the very similar (updated) model 455. Both will shoot phenomenally. I recently acquired a CZ 452 Varmint in .22LR and with SK Subsonic ammunition, I'm able to shoot under 1.25 MOA at 100 yards fairly consistently and I consider myself a beginner shooter. Just get a YoDave trigger pack (a necessity) along with a DIP 20 MOA scope base and you are all set.

If you can find a good deal on one, you can get a brand new one for $400. I'm guessing they usually go for about $450 usually? There are also great deals here on the hide for one in the for sale section sometimes.

I am almost certain that you will be more than satisfied with the accuracy. The CZ 452 is one of the best out of the box values for a .22LR in my opinion and I am sure that hide members will back me up on this suggestion.

i won't argue that the cz's are much more accurate, but my 10/22 sure is fun to shoot...

First rifle was a Ruger 10/22 ~$200. Surprised no one has asked if you want a bolt or semi

I've got a Savage MkII FV-SR. I love it and it's a tack driver. It already came threaded 1/2x28 for a suppressor and a 1-piece rail factory installed. The stock is just the plain polymer style, but it works. I re-stocked it with a Boyd's Tacticool stock and it looks/feels great. Rifle is about $275, stock was $100.

I have also owned several CZ 452's. Also amazing rifles. Depends on what style you are looking for...classic or modern/tactical.

1 CZ!!!

Distant
2 Savage
3 Build a 10/22 with a Clark barrel!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've got a CZ 452 scout in 22 LR and my wife has a savage 93 BVTS I think. It's a thumbhole laminated stock 22wmr. I like the accutrigger on the savage and the stock is real comfortable. The 22 lr is just like the 22 wmr and I have thought about getting one for me. It was around $400 at a local shop for me and less online.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mdavlee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got a CZ 452 scout in 22 LR and my wife has a savage 93 BVTS I think. It's a thumbhole laminated stock 22wmr. I like the accutrigger on the savage and the stock is real comfortable. The 22 lr is just like the 22 wmr and I have thought about getting one for me. It was around $400 at a local shop for me and less online.</div></div>

I've got a set of twins, go for it!

sm-twins.jpg

With a .22 it is my personal opinion to go with the semi-auto. While undoubtedly bolt actions are more accurate and allow you to punch out a little further, for small game hunting and target shooting the semi auto is just way more convenient.

They look good. She got the 22 wmr since we already had a 22 lr. It's just iron sights and good for squirrel sniping out the living room window when they were tearing up bird feeders. We bought it when we had coons tearing up our bird feeders at night. We would sit on the porch and wait for coons to climb up on the rail about 30 feet away and start eating and shoot them off the rail.

10/22 and upgrade as needed no doubt bolts are for bench shooters and old timers!!!!!!

sm-twins.jpg
[/quote]

What kind of scopes do you have on those CZs?

You'll never be bored with a ruger 10/22. theres a huge aftermarket for them.

If you can live with a bolt gun..CZ 452 is a great choice as stated before. Its a go to rifle for shooting silhouete. You wont be dissapointed.

savage mk2...bar none!
mine is as accurate as ANY 452, 453, or 455 i've shot against....and was cheaper and easier to source, to boot!

after that...a 452 varmint, if you can find one....
453 if you like a set trigger (i do not)
452 american
10/22 custom

but you also have a big used market...in which are the foreign and domestic military trainers of old...that will usually shoot with/better than current production guns...and can be found for a decent price

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A Shadow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
What kind of scopes do you have on those CZs? </div></div>

Dunno... I don't own any cz's
smile.gif
They are Savages.

Simmons WTC 6.5-20x50AO on the 22wmr and a Simmons Prosport 4-12x50AO on the 22lr. Both have lived on both rifles, and both work great.

You really can't go wrong with the Savage Mark II series. I've recently picked up the BTVS and I love it. I went shooting with it yesterday and averaged .97 moa @50 yards and 1.03 moa @100 yards with wolf ammo. I shot a total of 6, 5 shot groups at 50 yards with a best of .6 moa and 2 5 shot groups at 100 yards. They are great shooting rifles and they are well within your price range.

In case you need to hear it again CZ then Savage.

Really depends on how your budget shakes out. You said $400.00 if thats the budget for the rifle then go with the CZ if thats the budget for eveything (including scope) then Savage.

I have been shooting both back to back recently and the CZ is clearly a step up but I wont knock the Savage for the price point its a fantastic rifle and very accurate just not as accurate as the CZ. IMO the CZ has a more solid feel like a centerfire rifle while the Savage has a toy like feel to it and is a bit rough in design however it is a very light and handy little rifle.

Me and some buddies picked up a few Remington 597 with a scope on it a few years ago for around $200. It's accurate enough for some back yard plinking fun (and isn't that the best thing about .22s).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: persistant7500</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been really happy with the Savage Mark II bv's that I have been picking up for about 325.00. </div></div>

X2.. with wolf ammo, I can get 1" 5 shot groups @ 100. The cheapest bit of fun I've got in the safe!

Another vote for CZ. I was shooting my 452 Varmint this morning. Seven, 5shot groups @ 50yds. The average for 35 shots was .44".

DSCN1087_770.jpg

DSCN1077_760.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FORECON</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Me and some buddies picked up a few Remington 597 with a scope on it a few years ago for around $200. It's accurate enough for some back yard plinking fun (and isn't that the best thing about .22s). </div></div>

I'm with you on the back yard plinking. What is the MOA on the 597 at 50 yards?

I'll throw in another vote for the CZ 455. I have one and it is a shooter. I got mine for $395+tx.

A semi auto lets you waste too much ammo without teaching you how to shoot.
MOST of the time, a semi auto is a poor solution for bad shooting. You should only need one shot. If there is more than one critter, line em up and get two for one.
JMO

I'd be lying if I gave you an exact number. I'd say around 2" though was the best we could hold, but we typically just shot beer cans and my buddy's wife's silverware (not recommended). My buddy did take a squirrel at 70 yards with it though.

Value? Savage can't be beat; excellent accuracy (few lemons, but that could be said of nearly and company), very functional and lots of cool options. CZ seems like a nicer gun though.

CZ, Savage, or a lightly built up 10/22

A few years ago a sako quad would have been at your price point. It's too bad that the price on the quad has been jacked up so much. It's a great shooter, but not worth the price of two CZ rifles.

I don't know if easy available on U.S. used market, but if you can find any old,(if older, better), even well used, single shot anschutz match, place on it a pair of rings for his 11mm.rail,and forget any other .22 rifle_period_

Savage guy. Mines in pieces right now. Getting ready to cerakote it. It's going in a manners T4 sometime next week if I get the time to finish it out. Been too busy to work on my own stuff.

Branden

For the money CZ's are hard to beat. I got one, (22 rimfire) liked it so much I had to get another in HM2. Only thing I did was a trigger job.

I have a Sig 522 combo Sportsman's Warehouse had on sale for $399 last year. Came with a 16" barrel with flash hider and a 20"bull barrel. With the Rapid Recital 22lr bullet drop to 200 yrds and the bull barrel, I can hit golf balls all day long out to 200 yrds.

If you want a fun gun, the Sig is fun.

Stevens 300, list $193. This rifle is neerly equivalent to my older pre-Accu-Trigger Sav MKII that I am apparently wedded to.

The only practical difference is that Sav went to drilling and tapping for bases, while mine has the older style grooved receiver.

This is a minimalst .22LR that is as reliable as a claw hammer.

I appreciate that the newer Sav rifles with many more attractive features can be appealing, but do they actually shoot that much more reliably and accurately than the basic Sav MKII/Stevens 300?

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stevens 300, list $193. This rifle is neerly equivalent to my older pre-Accu-Trigger Sav MKII that I am apparently wedded to.

The only practical difference is that Sav went to drilling and tapping for bases, while mine has the older style grooved receiver.

This is a minimalst .22LR that is as reliable as a claw hammer.

I appreciate that the newer Sav rifles with many more attractive features can be appealing, but do they actually shoot that much more reliably and accurately than the basic Sav MKII/Stevens 300?

Greg </div></div>

Good points, Greg. However, I'd have to answer a pretty firm "Yes!" to your question. In the long run, I feel that features such as a decent trigger and stock and heavy barrel are worth a little extra cash. Do they necessarily make it more accurate? Maybe...but they definitely make it easier to shoot that rifle to its fullest potential in more scenarios (ammo, rest, temperature variables, etc). For me, this all adds to the enjoyment of shooting the rifle. As a shooter develops, he begins to appreciate the difference between a good and bad trigger, the improved stability/harmonics of a heavy barrel, and the value of a comfortable, rigid stock.

All that being said, I believe the Wally World Mark 2 retails for like $145 locally and is an excellent deal for a basic .22 rifle. A simple trigger mod involving shimming and spring replacement makes the trigger passable and the rifles are pretty stinkin' accurate even with the sporter barrel and tupperware stock. I have one that shoots about 1.25" @ 100 yards with CCI SV...most of the time, but not nearly as accurate or consistent as my FV.

Just my observations based on a limited representation of the model variants.

-The Kid.

I have a Savage BTSV and a CZ 455. The CZ is prettier, but shoots at top form only with Wolf Target or SK Std Plus. The Savage shoots <span style="text-decoration: underline">everything</span> well, including cheap promotional brands (Remington Thunderbolt, etc.) With premium ammo, the Savage has shot in the 2's at 50 yards and consistently shoots under .5 at that distance with several brands of ammo. I also have a box stock Remington 597 semi-auto that shoots exceptionally well with SK Std Plus. It cost me $135 new at a closeout sale, and I added an after-market trigger for $45.
2db8809.jpg

v6unh1.jpg

i love my cheap marlin model 60. barrel is fat. dead accurate. put scopes on it but still love the open sight that come with it. i remember taking a bird from 120 yards ona knee open sight. maybe just luck but its hard to miss. when i bought mine it was 99 dollars there now up to like 160. can mount scope and bipod. stocks. a lot is possible