• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best aftermarket barrel for ruger 10/22

Sharpshooter3

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2018
I have a ruger 10/22 that I have built up as funds become available. I have put in a kidd trigger kit, kidd bolt handle, kidd extractor, kidd guide rod, kidd firing pin, TS stock all on it. And now I am looking in to putting on a aftermarket barrel on it for accuracy. Any suggestions for a good barrel?

Kidd or TS. Both are fantastic and well made. I have both. For lightweight TS has an aluminum with steel insert that I used on my takedown - awesome and light!

Others may say Green Mountain, and while I hear good things, I have no personal experience.

Ive got a tac sol barrel on my takedown,and a feddersen on my target build,both with kidd triggers and bolts,,,,both barrels shoot great,,,the feddersen is the most accurate 10 22 ive have shot...

Rockkreek is the TS or the feddersen picky about the ammo you feed it?

Sideburn is ether of your's picky about ammo? I have heard alot of good things about the Kidd and TS. But the Green Mountain I have found a couple of marginal reviews on them.

Sideburn is ether of your's picky about ammo? I have heard alot of good things about the Kidd and TS. But the Green Mountain I have found a couple of marginal reviews on them.

Zero. Both feed anything I've tried, which include SK Rifle Match, Lapua Midas +, Lapua Center - X, Eley sport, Tenex, Gemtech subsonic and CCI mini-mag (not in Kidd as that is more my target setup). Now what shoots best is a different story but I have good results with SK Rifle Match, Lapua and Eley Tenex. I don't have any of the super cheap remy or other stuff, so I've never tried but the "quaility" ammo has all worked.

Havent had any issues with any ammo ive used,,,the feddersen does love cci standard velocity,
And the tac sol,likes cci sv and minimags also the aguila ammo,even the cheap blazer ammo shoots good...

Reactions: screaminyz
Bartlien is probably the best. I have a green mountain on a 77/22 that is super accurate.

just ordered a kidd for my 10/22. needed a threaded barrel for a new suppressor. will be replacing the butler creek barrel/stock combo i got a while back.

I have 2 complete Kidd 10/22's that both shoot well. I put a Federson barrel on another Ruger Target rifle I had and planned on making that rifle a loaner. Well, that rifle is now my primary 10/22. My Federson barrel is very accurate and consistent. It also eats anything but really likes SK Rifle match.

I've had a Ruger 10/22T barrel, a full profile GM ss, and a kid ULW. They all shot well and about in that order with the kid being the best. They all pretty much fed everything and liked wolf MT. I am very much thinking about buying a top notch barrel (Krieger, lilja, barlein, etc) and having a Smith chamber, profile, and thread it into the receiver-Norcal911

Reactions: Accuracy seeker
Unless it’s an older supergrade reciever it’s not threaded and in my opinion it’s the auto loader reciever that may be the weak link in accuracy.
I have a 20” Heavy Kidd barrel and I seriously doubt any barrel attached to that reciever could shoot any better, mine shoots .3s consistently at 50 Yards and averages just under an inch at 100
Occasionally a .6 will pop up all with wolf match extra . I say get a Heavy Kidd barrel
You’ll be Money ahead and it’ll shoot tiny groups.

Agreed on the receiver but CPC (and I'm sure plenty of others) can and will thread your barrel into the receiver and do away with what I think is the weak link in that V block. That along with a rear hold down and a floated barrel I think could lead to some suprisingly small groups. I've got the rear hold down handled, just need to remove the pressure pad now and see how it will shoot. I'm not entirely confident my GM barrel is up to the task of really small groups but it has performed admirably considering the cost of the barrel-Norcal911

Reactions: Westcoast308
I would agree with sideburn on the Kidd trigger. I have both a Volquartsen and a Kidd and the Kidd is lighter and a better feeling trigger. I'm not saying that the Volquartsen is a bad trigger they are much better than the factory one.

Reactions: crackerbrown
Kidd trigger and Feddersen barrel for the win.

20171001_101200.jpg
20170930_123551.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: sideburn
I have rifles with the TS barrel, the GM, and a Feddersen all in the .920 profile. The TS is not nearly as accurate purely printing groups but is lightweight, easy to handle and fairs well at 1MOA steel at 125yds. The GM and Feddersen I have are both very close in accuracy and have printed sub-moa groups. I prefer the Feddersen for no specific reason. The bulk of the ammo I shoot is CCI SV and Aguila SV with an occasional set of targets shooting SK Rifle Match and even some Lapua Center X. No problems from any of these at all and results from very acceptable to very good. My Feddersen has shot it's best groups with Fiocchi Super 320. I now have a KIDD on the way and hope it out shoots the others but fully expect marginal improvements if any.

Good luck with whatever you choose and post some result targets. I am sure any selection made based on the recommendations throughout this thread will result in smiles.

I have a GM barrel with a tuner and it's easily .2-.4" at 50yards with sk pistol match ammo. Ive shot about 600rds through it so far. It's a 20" stainless bull, it fit nice and tight into the receiver, bore looked great through a borescope.

Last edited:
I'm very happy with a Voquartsen carbon fiber barrel. The folks on rimfirecentral swear by the Kidd barrels.

I replaced a Green Mountain(?) barrel with a Kidd and have been very pleased with the performance. The only fly in the ointment is that mine really only likes Lapua Midas+.

I personally know within the next few months im going to go with the PWS T3 Summit barrel.

I've owned the Feddersen, Kidd UltraLight, and a Kidd Stainless Steel Match. The Feddersen was head and shoulders above the Kidd's. It wasn't even close. I was using Blazer 550 bulk ammo.

I'm another vote for the Fedderson. It likes cci blazer. during my appleseed shoot I put 5 rounds in one hole. Stretched it out to 100 and still still got good groups with the cci.

My 77/22 has a Teludyne StraightJacket. Cut every group I had in half or better, at 100. 50yds is like not giving the squirrel a chance.

I used the TS on the 50th anniversary 10/22 I built and have no complaints.

It doesn't seem to be finicky or picky about what ammo I put in it but does shoot the SK Standard Plus very well.

I have tried a few barrels over the last few years, all have shot well. Its all about finding the right ammo in my opinion that the rifle likes.
I had a Tactical solutions that loved CCI and Lapua, but would not throw any kind of federal including Gold Medal match to save its life.
Since then I have switched to a Kidd barrel and it seems to be less picky, out of all things it likes CCI subsonic hollow points the best. Have a friend we installed a factory hammer forged bull barrel on and it has really impressed as far as accuracy. His really likes anything SK but wont shoot subsonic or standard velocity CCI very well. It really shined with CCI AR tactical (high velocity) though.

This is my custom 10/22 Ruger. I think he only Ruger parts left on the rifle is the name. lol.
Volquertson match THM tension barrel with 32 hole compensator.
Volquertson extractor.
Dlask Arms DAR22 receiver with integrated picatinny rail machined from 7075 T6 hard anodized aluminum
custom Dlask V block
free floated barrel
assembled and tested by Dlask...guaranted 1/4" accuracy at 50 yards
Kidd bolt, titanium firing pin, bolt bumper, chrome skeleton extended bolt handle, auto bolt release
BX trigger group with Tandem Kross Brimstone Tier 2 upgrade...1.8 pound pull
Tandem Kross extended mag release
Magpul X-22 hunter stock

NOTE: DLASK is a Canadian company in Vancouver...check out their website

Attachments

• custom 1022 receiver.jpg
    custom 1022 receiver.jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 244
  • custom 1022 target.jpg
    custom 1022 target.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 250
  • custom 1022 rifle.jpg
    custom 1022 rifle.jpg
    380.5 KB · Views: 640
I have to say I think a Kidd barrel is hard to beat.. I have a 20" stainless bull barrel in a all Kidd build..receiver, bolt, two stage trigger, all in a Victor Titan stock..under 1/2 inch groups @50 yrds..likes Federal Auto Match. SK Rifle match, and CCI SV..
20191030_172053.jpg

anything Kidd is good...very nice build...what are you running for a scope? the integrated receiver and rail got my attention with Dlask...do you have any targets to post?

My Tactical Solutions barreled action is amazing. Couldn't be happier.

IMG_0344.jpeg

And I have a 16" TS take down barrel available if interested. I wanted a compact package w/ a suppressor and this short barrel/long muzzle device fit the bill perfectly and I was left w/ the original barrel.

nice build...do you have any target pics? Here in Canada, suppressors are illegal, unfortunately

Thanks !! The receiver is a Kidd and the rail is actually screwed into it..it's very well machined.. I'm currently running a Vortex Crossfire II 4-12x40.. soon to be replaced with an Athlon Argos.. I building a CZ 457 right now so the Kidd/Titan is on hold for the moment..lol

Thanks !! The receiver is a Kidd and the rail is actually screwed into it..it's very well machined.. I'm currently running a Vortex Crossfire II 4-12x40.. soon to be replaced with an Athlon Argos.. I building a CZ 457 right now so the Kidd/Titan is on hold for the moment..lol

nice scope... the scope in my pics is a Vector 15 x 40 x 56. Chinese made... 250.00 USD on Amazon.
I have since changed to a Vortex PST Gen 2 15 x 25 FFP scope...shoots sub MOA at 50 Yards.

My current build is a Remington 700 with a 24 inch match barrel and a Little Bastard muzzle Brake. All built on a MDT chassis.. Their ESS model.. shooting sub MOA a 100 Yards...will try the 500 yard range next week

Reactions: 1911Operator
Agreed on the receiver but CPC (and I'm sure plenty of others) can and will thread your barrel into the receiver and do away with what I think is the weak link in that V block. That along with a rear hold down and a floated barrel I think could lead to some suprisingly small groups. I've got the rear hold down handled, just need to remove the pressure pad now and see how it will shoot. I'm not entirely confident my GM barrel is up to the task of really small groups but it has performed admirably considering the cost of the barrel-Norcal911
My results from a bone stock CPC tuned target model. The trigger is fantastic now too. 50yrds Eley Target shoots roughly 1/4” ragged holes one after another the Eley Force isn’t far behind. CCI standard and Green tag 10 shot groups. Randy cut my groups in half and has never jammed since his work. Yup he knows what he’s doing. Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_5029.jpeg
    IMG_5029.jpeg
    466.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_5037.jpeg
    IMG_5037.jpeg
    484.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5032.jpeg
    IMG_5032.jpeg
    446.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3932.jpeg
    IMG_3932.jpeg
    494.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3931.jpeg
    IMG_3931.jpeg
    457.9 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Another satisfied SBX customer here. May not be good enough for everybody but it's good enough for me.

Immediately below is maybe 5 shots? (maybe more but I usually do 5 shots when sighting) @~45yds using a red dot with a SBX barrel sporting an ancient Spectre II saddled in a T/CR22 receiver with the factory trigger, bolt and stock.

I have another one, also with a red dot, built out with another SBX barrel, another T/CR22 receiver/FCG/bolt and another Spectre but with a Hogue rubber stock instead of the T/CR22 stock ... second picture.

CCI SV

20180317_162713-1.jpg

20180317_162706-1.jpg

Last edited:
The gun that corresponds to the first target in the previous post. The only difference in the gun for the second target is the stock is a Hogue rubber overmold.

It's not exceptionally pretty because the stock barrel was tapered and I removed the insert from the forestock to allow the TS bull profile barrel to free float.

tcr22-1-c.jpg