• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Best Aftermarket Barrel

Helmet

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2012
Central California
I'm currently deciding on a barrel for my Savage HS Precision. It's a 308win, but I intend to change it to either a 7-08 or a 284. So far Criterion seems to be the best deal, but my knowledge is pretty limited. Their are alot of different makers out there and I don't want to overlook the right one. Price is a big factor for me. Suggestions?

Re: Best Aftermarket Barrel

Any of the custom barrel makers produce a product that will exceed your abillities.

Cut, Button, stainless or CM they all shoot.

fit and chamber selection have a larger impact then anything

I am not skilled enough to take advantage of progressive twist rates or any of the other goodies.

The husbands old M24 has had Rock, Hart, Kreiger, and Shilen tubes on it. His preference is Mike Rock, for that rifle.

Me? I can't tell the difference enough as I'm still a novice on precicion long guns. I think its a personal taste thing.

Krieger, Bartlien, Satern, Rock, Benchmark and others are all shooting great. Your biggest challenge is in pinching pennies in the world of precision shooting. Compromises are often regretted later.

They are all exceptional rifle barrels, far exceeding any nromal persons ability. My advise, wait for a barrel blank in your prefered cal to go up for sale here on the hide and buy that. Cant go wrong with any of them and youre not gonna wait long for it and most the time you can get a better deal. I have a second hand harte barrel and Remy SPS barrel I picked up and all I can say is I couldnt be happier.

Tony

Most any of the custom barrels will do great, installation is more problematic.
The better barrel makers will replace a "bad" barrel if it is inspected before any alterations are made, once machining happens it yours.
So pick the barrel you beleive in, then get serious about who is going to install it. Drop-ins may do ok but just are NOT the same as a properly fit barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Explorer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most any of the custom barrels will do great, installation is more problematic.
The better barrel makers will replace a "bad" barrel if it is inspected before any alterations are made, once machining happens it yours.
So pick the barrel you beleive in, then get serious about who is going to install it. Drop-ins may do ok but just are NOT the same as a properly fit barrel. </div></div>So it's not possible to install it yourself with great results? I see alot of people putting on those Criterion Savage pre-fits. They can't get the same level of accuracy that way?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Explorer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most any of the custom barrels will do great, installation is more problematic.
So pick the barrel you beleive in, then get serious about who is going to install it. Drop-ins may do ok but just are NOT the same as a properly fit barrel. </div></div>

I have not found this to be true. The high end barrel makers stand by their product, and don't generally take the position that because you chambered it, fuck off. They occasionally make a lousy barrel, and are usually very stand-up about giving you a new one.

Now, if you claim it sucks and send it back, and they see the chamber isn't concentric to the bore, they'll let you know it's the chamber that sucks, not their bore.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmchairElite</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Explorer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most any of the custom barrels will do great, installation is more problematic.
So pick the barrel you beleive in, then get serious about who is going to install it. Drop-ins may do ok but just are NOT the same as a properly fit barrel. </div></div>So it's not possible to install it yourself with great results? I see alot of people putting on those Criterion Savage pre-fits. They can't get the same level of accuracy that way? </div></div>

Savages can be rebarreled by you, if you have a couple simple tools. Savages are the exception, however. For nearly all other rifles, barrels are custom machined/fit to the particular action.

Their are other rifles?
smirk.gif
I only have Savages. Looks like I can get the Go/NO Go gauges and the barrel nut wrench for about $80 total. The barrel vice can be made out of wood. I would also like to be able to change barrels in the future without the hassle/money of going through a gunsmith.
I know that other companies make pre-fits. Are any of them as good a deal as the Criterion?

You only need the "go" gage. Ensure the bolt closes on the go gage with no resistance, but won't close (without forcing it) on the go gage with a piece if scotch tape on the back of it.

I choose Lothar-Walther for a reason I consider important.

L-W makes the most barrels in the business, for all grades and purposes. A lot of folks are shooting L-W barrels and will never know it because they are often the OEM for manfacturers, and/or make the blanks that others complete and brand mark as their own.

That, by itself, is not my reason for giving a specific recommendation.

But what this does do is allow L-W to afford the resources to maintain precise numeric controls and records of what they make.

Whatever the grade or quality they make, and they make them all, I sincerely believe that few, if any, other manufacturer have as close a handle on what their product actually consists of as L-W.

If you're only buying one barrel, this probably means little.

But if you're buying several, or wish to repeat the purchase of a barrel that has performed well; then consistency is at a premium.

L-W has that barrel's attributes, down to the whisker, on file. Further, it has the means to faithfully replicate it and know for a fact it's identical in all pertinent aspects.

That ls why when I buy a barrel, it's an L-W.

What was once my own spec for a pair of 28" Savage L-W .260 Rem prefits is now identical to the .260 barrel spec for their pre-fit product line.. Not the cheapest, but worth every damned penny, IMHO.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmchairElite</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Their are other rifles?
smirk.gif
I only have Savages. Looks like I can get the Go/NO Go gauges and the barrel nut wrench for about $80 total. The barrel vice can be made out of wood. I would also like to be able to change barrels in the future without the hassle/money of going through a gunsmith.
I know that other companies make pre-fits. Are any of them as good a deal as the Criterion? </div></div>
It looks like your mind is made up on Criterion and you are just wanting validation on them as a maker. You will hear time and time again to buy once and cry once. A lot of people have tried to make due with tight budgets and while it works for a while most eventually upgrade to something better. Can you currently outshout your factory 308 barrel?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWILLIAMS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmchairElite</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Their are other rifles?
smirk.gif
I know that other companies make pre-fits. Are any of them as good a deal as the Criterion? </div></div>
It looks like your mind is made up on Criterion and you are just wanting validation on them as a maker. You will hear time and time again to buy once and cry once. A lot of people have tried to make due with tight budgets and while it works for a while most eventually upgrade to something better. Can you currently outshout your factory 308 barrel? </div></div>

I agree with not wasting money on lower end cheap shit...but I don't consider Criterion lowend cheap shit. The two barrels I've gotten are well made, machined nicely, and shoot great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWILLIAMS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmchairElite</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Their are other rifles?
smirk.gif
It looks like your mind is made up on Criterion and you are just wanting validation on them as a maker. You will hear time and time again to buy once and cry once. A lot of people have tried to make due with tight budgets and while it works for a while most eventually upgrade to something better. Can you currently outshout your factory 308 barrel? </div></div>If I just wanted validation about Criterion barrels I would have started a post about Criterion barrels. Yes, I have mentioned them a few times, but this is only because I have heard others recommend them(Turbo54's experience with Criterion barrels is not unusual at all). I only started researching barrel manufacturers a few days ago and am in no position right now to feel like I've figured this out. These are some of the makers I've found so far:
http://www.bartleinbarrels.com/
http://www.border-barrels.com/
http://www.bruxbarrels.com/
http://www.rifle-barrels.net/
http://criterionbarrels.com/production.html
http://www.hartbarrels.com/
http://www.kriegerbarrels.com/
http://www.riflebarrels.com/
http://www.lothar-walther.com/339.php
http://www.mcgowenbarrel.com/index.html
http://www.pac-nor.com/
http://proofresearch.com/
http://www.rockcreekbarrels.com/
http://www.saternmachining.com/
http://www.shilen.com/
http://www.sin-arms.com/index.html
http://www.bugholes.com/
http://spencerriflebarrels.com/
And their are others that don't have a website like Benchmark. Perhaps their are some I've missed. Feel free to give me your suggestions. I feel that not having the answer at this point is perfectly understandable after only a few days of research. Using a maker I've become more familiar with(Criterion)to compare other barrels with is a pretty common tactic when learning new things and also an effective way to learn about my other options. If, for example, I decide that McGowen barrels are a better deal, I will begin comparing barrels to McGowen instead of Criterion. Since price is a factor I should be able to narrow this list down some based on price point.
As for the question of whether I can outshoot my Savage barrel, I don't think so. It shoots really good for awhile. It also collects copper like a kleptomaniac miner. I can actually see the tool marks in the barrel with the naked eye. It quickly fills with copper and looses accuracy. I'm not impressed with it. I'm trying to lap out these marks and the barrel might yet be saved. In any case I intend to get a 7mm at some point because that is what I have always wanted. It may be on this rifle or I might find another action to build on, but I will need to chose a barrel maker sooner or later as I feel the 30 cal bullet is clearly inferior to 7mm bullet.

Greg Langelius: Thanks for the incite on Lothar Walther. In my ignorance I actually pictured them as a small company. I will look into them more.

Cut barrels last longer than button. Most benchrest shooters use cut barrels for a reason. Maybe they are telling us something.

Who do you recommend? What is the lowest I can get away with spending for good quality cut barrel?

Looks like Brux barrels start about $330 for a pre-fit.
Kreiger barrels start at $310 for a blank. Another $30 if I want the 5R. I'm still pretty ignorant on how being a blank and not a pre-fit will affect price in the end. I'm going to assume that a Kreiger is better than a Criterion since a Criterion used to be a less expensive Kreiger with button rifling. Criterion barrels start at $280. If it was just a $30 difference it might be a better deal to just get the Kreiger. I believe that the Criterion would more than match my skill level, but if the cut rifling last longer it would be $30 well spent. At my skill level I don't know if I would be able to appreciate the advantage of a 5R(if their is any) unless it was easier to clean
smile.gif

I love my Kreiger barrel. Its made my STW feel so much better than the stock blue barrel and helps me hold steady for longer. Id recommend talking to robert gradous and see what he says. he and i built my rifle and he was very helpful on choosing the right barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SLED Sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love my Kreiger barrel. Its made my STW feel so much better than the stock blue barrel and helps me hold steady for longer. Id recommend talking to robert gradous and see what he says. he and i built my rifle and he was very helpful on choosing the right barrel. </div></div>I may very well do that. Do you mind telling me what it cost you?

StanwoodSpartan: It's harder to get information on Benchmark. I have figured out that they are great barrels, but that's about all. Do you have a rough idea of what a pre-fit would cost?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmchairElite</div><div class="ubbcode-body">StanwoodSpartan: It's harder to get information on Benchmark. I have figured out that they are great barrels, but that's about all. Do you have a rough idea of what a pre-fit would cost? </div></div>

Until the site gets up and going the info is gained through the good old telephone. Call up Chris and talk to him and he will be able to tell you exact numbers. 360-652-2594

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StanwoodSpartan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Until the site gets up and going the info is gained through the good old telephone. Call up Chris and talk to him and he will be able to tell you exact numbers. 360-652-2594 </div></div>I will do that before I make a final decision, but I'm not going to get my hopes up. I don't believe that my skill is at the level of that barrel. I will call to make sure, but I bet it's around the $500 mark. Me + a good $300 barrel probably shoots the same as ME + a good $500 barrel.

One other thing that I'm keeping in mind is that I see a great deal of good press on Jim from Northland Shooters Supply. I hear that he is very helpful and a good guy to deal with. He carries McGowen, CBI(Criterion), and Shilen barrels. If I decide to go with one of those he would probably be the guy to deal with. I can probably get one of these for under $300. I still don't know a whole lot about McGowen or Shilen if anyone has had one.

Kreiger. Never had a bad one and they last way longer than they are supposed to in the high pressure/high velocity calibers I've had. But and barrel I've had put on were done correctly and set up on a tuned action to get the best performance. Shooting for accuracy has never been a budget hobby! Its like buying a custom rifle and sticking with factory ammo, or buying an expensive personal defense pistol and only spending $15 for a holster.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: distantplinker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kreiger. Never had a bad one and they last way longer than they are supposed to in the high pressure/high velocity calibers I've had. But and barrel I've had put on were done correctly and set up on a tuned action to get the best performance. Shooting for accuracy has never been a budget hobby! Its like buying a custom rifle and sticking with factory ammo, or buying an expensive personal defense pistol and only spending $15 for a holster. </div></div>I know that misunderstandings sometimes occur during written text because it's hard do properly judge someones demeanor. However, reading your post makes me wonder, do you find my lack of funds upsetting? If so, join the club. You and me both brother. Somehow I don't think that I am the first person on a budget to have "Shooting for accuracy" as a hobby despite what you say. I'm not going to change hobbies just because of my financial limitations. I will make the best of what I can afford and I will enjoy it. After all, enjoyment is what hobbies are for.
I agree with you about reloading and I thank you for adding your opinion about Kreiger barrels.

My previous post was not exactly aimed just at your mind already being made up, it was also ended with a question that was left unanswered. I know most savage factory barrels shoot rather well and the question was, Can you currently outshoot the barrel you have on the gun. If not, keep practincing, keep researching and keep saving until your current barrel is either shot out or holding you back. By then you will have all your research done and all your money saved up to buy whatever you have deemed the best for you. Most any of the current upper tier cut rifled blanks will get nods from a lot of shooters on here, you just need to figure out which one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWILLIAMS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My previous post was not exactly aimed just at your mind already being made up, it was also ended with a question that was left unanswered. I know most savage factory barrels shoot rather well and the question was, Can you currently outshoot the barrel you have on the gun. If not, keep practincing, keep researching and keep saving until your current barrel is either shot out or holding you back. By then you will have all your research done and all your money saved up to buy whatever you have deemed the best for you. Most any of the current upper tier cut rifled blanks will get nods from a lot of shooters on here, you just need to figure out which one. </div></div>I thought I did answer this question. Can you read my entire post? (I don't mean that sarcastically) Here is some of what I wrote:

"As for the question of whether I can outshoot my Savage barrel, I don't think so. It shoots really good for awhile. It also collects copper like a kleptomaniac miner. I can actually see the tool marks in the barrel with the naked eye. It quickly fills with copper and looses accuracy. I'm not impressed with it. I'm trying to lap out these marks and the barrel might yet be saved."

Apparently I did miss that statement, how many rounds down the factory tube. How many rounds through the gun before the accuracy falls off? May just need some more rounds through the barrel before it starts shooting well. That is one of the big benefits of having a hand lapped barrel over factory is they do not collect the copper and they are a breeze to clean up. Good luck in your search.

Not upset with you at all. My first build was done with what I thought was a good barrel company only to find out it was marked wrong and their quality control was really garbage. If you can spend a little more even if you have to wait it will pay off in the end. It would help you enjoy the sport a little better if you get a good barrel. Look into it and research several options. I was impatient on my first rifle years ago but wouldn't get anything but custom barrels now. I've spent alot of money over the years on builds but think I've saved alot overall getting good barrels and making all my rounds count. Thousands of rounds later you will save on cleaning supplies and the performance of your shooting is the ultimate payoff. Good luck and its just advice.

Don't skimp on the barrel. You want to have equipment that is above your skill level so you can improve. When you know you can outshoot your equipment, upgrade.
Since most good barrels are blanks, the cost of threading both ends and chambering will be the same for a crappy barrel as for an excellent one. Why waste that money on substandard materials?
Yeah, it's an expensive sport at times. But a good barrel will outshoot and outlast a lesser one as well as clean easier and foul less.
FWIW I've been very happy with Rock Creek barrels.

1911fan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: distantplinker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not upset with you at all. My first build was done with what I thought was a good barrel company only to find out it was marked wrong and their quality control was really garbage. If you can spend a little more even if you have to wait it will pay off in the end. It would help you enjoy the sport a little better if you get a good barrel. Look into it and research several options. I was impatient on my first rifle years ago but wouldn't get anything but custom barrels now. I've spent alot of money over the years on builds but think I've saved alot overall getting good barrels and making all my rounds count. Thousands of rounds later you will save on cleaning supplies and the performance of your shooting is the ultimate payoff. Good luck and its just advice. </div></div>It's all good distantplinker. Thanks for your advice. The main complaint I have with my Savage barrel Isn't accuracy(although improvement is always nice)It's the cleaning. I have a medical problem with my elbows and recently had surgery on one. All this scrubbing is more than just a chore to me. It's been a real lesson for me to understand how rough a factory bore can be. Rather than mess around with this rifle and put a barrel on it, I'm starting to lean towards getting another action to build on. The importance of the barrel choice cannot be overstated so it's great to read everyone's view on them.

Ok. I believe the current count is:
Krieger 5, Rock 3, Benchmark 2, Brux 1, Harte 1, Criterion 1,
Lothar-Walther 1, Bartlien 1, Satern 1.

Of note: Some people chose more than one barrel maker.
Kenda is apparently speaking for her husband. Despite her clames of ignorance on this subject she not only knew his favorite, but the names of all the ones that were not his favorite.
Brux Barrels quite nobly just chose to say "All of them are great barrels".
The one vote that was counted for Brux rated Brux #1 and Krieger #2(which I also counted).
As unscientific as this is I am starting to see some patterns here. Not only is it interesting which makers are chosen, but which ones aren't even mentioned. Obviously it would be more reliable if more people gave their opinion on this, but I still feel like I've learned something from this thread. Thanks to everyone that's chimed in. Hopefully a few more people will add what they've learned about aftermarket barrels.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmchairElite</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok. I believe the current count is:
Krieger 5, Rock 3, Benchmark 2, Brux 1, Harte 1, Criterion 1,
Lothar-Walther 1, Bartlien 1, Satern 1.

Of note: Some people chose more than one barrel maker.
Kenda is apparently speaking for her husband. Despite her clames of ignorance on this subject she not only knew his favorite, but the names of all the ones that were not his favorite.
Brux Barrels quite nobly just chose to say "All of them are great barrels".
The one vote that was counted for Brux rated Brux #1 and Krieger #2(which I also counted).
As unscientific as this is I am starting to see some patterns here. Not only is it interesting which makers are chosen, but which ones aren't even mentioned. Obviously it would be more reliable if more people gave their opinion on this, but I still feel like I've learned something from this thread. Thanks to everyone that's chimed in. Hopefully a few more people will add what they've learned about aftermarket barrels. </div></div>

If you're going to collect data you might as well look at what shops like GAP (Bartlein), LA Precision (Krieger/Bartlein), Long Rifles Inc (A couple brands but most recently has been using a lot of Brux), Tac-Ops (Krieger), and BlackOps (Bartlein) use. These are the guys that do this day in and day out and see more barrels in one month than a lot of us will in a lifetime. <span style="font-weight: bold">I believe I've got everyone's preferences right but I'd encourage you to do your own research as opinions change and I cannot speak for any of these gunsmiths.</span>

Out of a thousand barrels made there is a bad one,don't worry,that the one I will get!!
smile.gif

Too many good companies to decide from but alot rests in the gunsmiths hands. I've seen great barrels turn to crap in just a fraction of a second too long on a lathe. Get someone with ALOT of experience. Go to a long range match near you and find a recommendation from the shooters. Good luck though!

This thread is losing focus...

Sure, there are a nice handful of great barrel makers, and great smiths - both of which you need for a hammering rifle.

But...the OP is on a tight budget, and needs a Savage prefit. That means CBI, Shilen, PacNor and McGowan...have I left any out?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 71firebird400</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you're going to collect data you might as well look at what shops like GAP (Bartlein), LA Precision (Krieger/Bartlein), Long Rifles Inc (A couple brands but most recently has been using a lot of Brux), Tac-Ops (Krieger), and BlackOps (Bartlein) use. These are the guys that do this day in and day out and see more barrels in one month than a lot of us will in a lifetime. <span style="font-weight: bold">I believe I've got everyone's preferences right but I'd encourage you to do your own research as opinions change and I cannot speak for any of these gunsmiths.</span> </div></div>That's a good idea. Afterall, no shop or gunsmith on that level wants to attach their name and reputation to a barrel that doesn't allow their rifle to shoot like it should after that kind of an investment. I'm too lazy to research this though. Sounds like the makers you say they're using just reinforces what I'm already starting to believe anyway. Add Rock and Benchmark to that list and that's where I think I'm headed with the top 5 at least in terms of quality and customer satisfaction.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This thread is losing focus...

Sure, there are a nice handful of great barrel makers, and great smiths - both of which you need for a hammering rifle.

But...the OP is on a tight budget, and needs a Savage prefit. That means CBI, Shilen, PacNor and McGowan...have I left any out? </div></div>Thanks turbo54. I was considering this myself, and you're right. However, what's been great is to see what makers people prefer when not on my budget. Although I was asking what barrel people thought was the best deal, as long as people are telling me what barrel they are most happy with it helps answer my question.
Turbo54: I know that you have gotten two Criterion barrels and are quite satisfied with them. You must have liked the first one or you wouldn't have two. As a prefit barrel this might be the best plan, but now that I have a preferred list of top barrel makers I'm going to see if they make a prefit and what they cost. If their is a huge difference in price I will probably go with the Criterion as you and others I have read elsewhere really like them. But if their is not a huge difference in price I will consider getting one of the others. Nobody vouched for Shilen, PacNor or McGowen which makes me wonder. I can't rule any of them out completely because this is just a thread with a small group of people participating, but I feel alot more comfortable with Criterion at the moment.
The ones I will look into fist are Krieger, Rock, Benchmark, Brux, and Bartlien. I will post my findings with prices and such after I figure them all out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmchairElite</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nobody vouched for Shilen, PacNor or McGowen which makes me wonder.</div></div>

My last two Savage pre-fits have been from Shilen. They shoot great and I have done pretty well with them in F-Class. Out of the choices available for pre-fits, I doubt you will do better than a Select Match Shilen.

Just ordered my CBI barrel so I can't speak for their accuracy. What I can say, is that if you plan to order a CBI, McGowen or Shilen pre-fit, Jim at Northland Shooter's Supply is your guy. I had to have my wife order for me (mistake I know) as I don't have access to a phone over here while deployed. Jim was very patient with her and made the ordering process easy for her even though she has zero knowledge of anything related to shooting. Great guy to deal with who went above and beyond to help me out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CheechTheDon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just ordered my CBI barrel so I can't speak for their accuracy. What I can say, is that if you plan to order a CBI, McGowen or Shilen pre-fit, Jim at Northland Shooter's Supply is your guy. I had to have my wife order for me (mistake I know) as I don't have access to a phone over here while deployed. Jim was very patient with her and made the ordering process easy for her even though she has zero knowledge of anything related to shooting. Great guy to deal with who went above and beyond to help me out. </div></div>If I go with one those I will definitely contact Jim. I've never met Jim, but his reputation proceeds him. Let us know how it shoots when you get back.

ryanjay11: Finely somebody for Shilen, and you had two prefits even. I knew you guys were out there.

Had a McGowen on a Savage Stevens. Shot lights out. Not sure what the velocity was but my accuracy node was 41.9g varget with 168smk. Dime size at 100. I sold it before I took it out farther. Still, cleaned up fast, shot great and the wait time was maybe 5 weeks.

Flyingbullseye

My buddy and I both ordered 6.5 creedmoor Criterion pre-fits from Jim and we both love them.

They shot great out to 1200 yards and neither of ours fouled very much.

A prefit from Jim would be great if you want a good barrel fast. A barrel from any major company seems like it will have the potential to shoot so I don't think you can go wrong.

I think the smith and shooter will have a bigger effect on accuracy than the actual barrel.

I don't need this fast. My arm is hurt so I'm willing to wait extra time if it means getting a better barrel for my money.

It looks like a benchmark prefit would run around $400-$450. That's too much money for me as this is not going to be put on my rifle by a professional, but by me. I don't think investing that kind of money in a barrel is reasonable when it will then be installed on the rifle by some jackass that's figuring it out as he goes along. I have every reason to believe that Benchmark barrels are top notch in every way, but I'm crossing them off the list for my current rifle.

I lifted this post from a member of another site that wrote an email to Rock Creek. Doesn't look like they will have 7-08 to start with but that's a pretty common caliber so it might be offered soon after. Any opinions on Rock creek button rifled prefits?
It appears that the button rifled will not be made by Mike, but by Kim Theiler who is the other owner. I hope I'm getting this correct as I am just regurgitating what has been explained by others.

This was dated April 12, 2012

Here is the email that I got from rock creek barrels today.

Nathan,
Yes we are going to offer Savage prefits in both cut rifled and button
barrels. $450 for cut rifled and $325 for button barrels. Probably going
to just offer the two target contours to start with both the large and
small shank versions.
These are the calibers we are considering for now.
.223REM
.22-250
6mm BR
.243 Win
6X47 Lapua
6.5X47 Lapua
6.5Creedmoore
.260 REM
6.5X284
7WSM
7MM Rem mag
.308 Win
.300 Win
.300WSM
.300 blackout
.338 Norma
.338 Lapua

Paul Tolvstad
Rock Creek Barrels

And another one I got today

Question was about reamers not on the list and when they will be up for order.

Nathan,
It would depend if I have the reamer around the shop, otherwise we would
have to order one, the customer pays half the price of the reamer and we
keep the reamer.
We will be taking orders as soon as I get all the reamers in that we
ordered. Probably gonna be June sometime.