• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Best all around binoculars

Mcarnell82

Private
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2010
Sikeston MO
Way too many to choose from so I'm having a hard time making a decision. Please make suggestions. I have about 500 set back for some good glass and I have a few options. Used Swarovski Habicht SL 10x50 green armor coating for $500, or I have several new models to choose from in that price range. Any suggestions?

Re: Best all around binoculars

I have some Steiners that I paid about that for, they are great glass but i do not like the focusing system. It is a seperate focus ring for each eye so that you never have to re-focus. I find it to be difficult to get them perfectly clear. my .02

Other then weight the 10x50 Swarovski are good and $500 is a good deal if the glass is not damaged. I would not sell any of my optics for $500.
I use
10x42 as the work horse.
8x32 as the second set of eyes when hunting in pairs
7x42 when things are close and prefer FOV
I like the 10x50 but cannot justify the weight.
I prefer Swarovski but own just as many Leica.

Thanks for the replies. Are the leupold mark 4's any good? Has anyone tried them out?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RJ Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Swarovski - are there any others? </div></div>

yes.

Link 1

Link 2

would strongly recomend you look through these.

I recently purchased, and would highly recommend that you check out Vortex Viper 10x42. Couldn't find anything I did not like about them, and found that I would have to spend a LOT more money to get marginally better optics.

My experience has been the same on all accounts, you get a ton for your dollar with the Vortex Viper's. I only wish they had the 10x50 mil reticle out when I purchased my 10x42's.

I like the swarovski EL 10x42, the nikon edg 10x42's, and i really like the Zeiss RF 10x45. any of the above mentioned work very well

I'm another one who believes the Vortex Vipers are a fantastic value. I have nothing bad to say about mine, and that's pretty unusual for me.

Vortex Viper, best bino for the money (and even more money) I've sold in my (admittedly short) optics career. 8x42s are my favorite, but the 10x42s sell a little more. We have the 10x50 R/T in stock also.

Scott

Swarovski or Kahles 10x40s are good for all around use. Your eyes will appreciate the difference.

$1500 for binos is ridiculous...Unless your a birdwatcher.........

I will say though...Vortex is the biggest bang for your buck with great quality glass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GunGuru727</div><div class="ubbcode-body">$1500 for binos is ridiculous...Unless your a birdwatcher.........</div></div>

I beg to differ about this statement my leica 10x32 ultravids are so clear I can usually spot for shooters even at a 1000yds because the clarity of high end binos is just ridiculously good. you can find them used for around $1000. i would recommend eithe leica or swaro's you won't regret it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pwerstroke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love my Zeiss 10X40's rubber clad. had them for years and could not be happier. </div></div>

I had these(stolen)and they are awesome! They work in the dark with less than 50% moon easy.

I think i will get the used swarovski's. I used them this weekend and they really are great bino's. I was just curious as to what others thought. The vipers look like a great pair also and before this thread i have never heard of them. The only thing i dislike about the 10x50 swarovski's is that they are kinda heavy but i am used to cheap pocket bushnells. Thanks for everyone's comments.

Sorry about coming in late but if you can find a used Leica Geovid 10x42, buy it. At 32 ounces it's only 5 ounces heavier than the Zeiss Victory 10x40 but it more than makes up for it with the built in range finder that works reliably out to 1300 yards. That bino is truly amazing. Either way, you're doing it smart buying a high-end unit used.

I got a set of zeiss 10x32's and couldn't be happier great binos for the money

I just got a pair of Zeiss 10X40 Classics and they are unreal! Very light, compact, and extremely clear.

My Leica 10x42 Trinovids are super! Can't ever go back to the mid range stuff...my eyes know the difference now!

Is this a cost is no object or weight is no object question?

I have Minox HG 8x33 BR ASPH binoculars that weigh 21 ounces.

Nikon 8x42 DCF HP are 26 ounces.

I have Nikon 12x56 Monarch that weigh over 64 ounces with the car window mount.

I have 9x25 Nikon Travelite that weigh 9 ounces.

I am already carrying:
cell phone
GPS
digital camera
wind meter
range finder
water
rifle with scope, bi pod, and sling
ammo
knife
wallet
car keys
binocular chest mount

How many ounces in YOUR binocular budget?

Check out Kahles at cdnninvestments.com. They have them for sale for 1/2 price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheodoreKaragias</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry about coming in late but if you can find a used Leica Geovid 10x42, buy it. At 32 ounces it's only 5 ounces heavier than the Zeiss Victory 10x40 but it more than makes up for it with the built in range finder that works reliably out to 1300 yards. That bino is truly amazing. Either way, you're doing it smart buying a high-end unit used. </div></div>

Couldn't agree more, I've been very happy with my set, and having the rangefinder incorporated is one less thing to carry.
If I was to get another set, it would probably be the 8X42, 10X seems to need a lot more support compared to the 8X.

Leica.jpg

We use Swarovski, Vortex Razors, Minox. All are very good binoculars. My brother uses the razor 12x50. They are very nice, but I have not looked through the viper series. I would get the best pair that you can. You will not regret it later.

Once you try Swaro you won't want anything else. $500.00 for the Habicht SL 10x50 is a steal seeing as you could turn around and sell them all day long for $700.00+ if the glass is clean anyway.

Cheers!

Rooter

My wife bought them for our anniversary. I warned her that it would cost us a lot more than $500 in the long run, lol. Now that I have used them a few times I am certainly not going back to cheap optics.

Fujinon M22 or Mil-Spec 7x50mm are superb for value, quality, and ability to use them for hours at a time.

Have Zeiss 8x30BGTP and 10x42 Ziess armored as well. Zeiss have the better lens contrast, makes image look more "crisp"; but their lighter weight makes them not as stable when handheld.

If you will use the binocular continually and weight is not an issue look for a heavy duty binocular. I like the independent focus of each ocular feature for reliability and best performance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TexasAG2004</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have some Steiners that I paid about that for, they are great glass but i do not like the focusing system. It is a seperate focus ring for each eye so that you never have to re-focus. I find it to be difficult to get them perfectly clear. my .02 </div></div>

Got Steiner Tacticals, 10x40 and I havent got such problems?
After <span style="font-style: italic">diopter</span> setting for both eyes individually is done once, its always good from say 50yds to infinity.
All left to do after that is focusing with index finger. Fast and easy. Just love those binos, as well as SUMR reticle. Did some comparsion, coudnt see any image quality difference to Leica ultravids.

Got also small Vortex (8x30?), and im happy with those too. Very compact and light pagkage. They are in different price range tho, and it must show somewhere. In a bright day, with tgt with lots of contrast (B/W), I guess coatings run out of steam and image goes blurry. Steiners dont lose image sharpness in same situation.

Has anyone tried Vortex Razor or Zen-Ray ED2? I heard good things about them from a few birders. They may fit the budget. Any input?

I hunt with Leica 10X42 Ultravids...as good as there is optically and tough as nails.

Last year I bought some Steiner Preditor 10x42's from Sierra Trading Post, they sell discontinued stuff. These were last years model, but still new in the box, got them for $580 from what I can remember. I realy like them a lot, thing about get some Steiner Peragins 8.5x50's, but waiting for a good price on those.

I have an opportunity to buy a pair of Swarovskys that are about six years old. don't know the model but guy says they are barely used. they are 10 x42 and he wants $700.00. Just wondering if this is a good buy? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Maybe it's just being a geezer, but I love my 12x Fujinon techno stabi binoculars. Stabilized is the way to go if you need to see detail, especially from a moving platform. The 14X40s are too heavy and expensive for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hunt with Leica 10X42 Ultravids...as good as there is optically and tough as nails. </div></div>

+1...As good as it gets for me.

A few weeks ago I just bought a pair of Kowa BD42 binos and I really like them! I just took them hog hunting last weekend and the low light ability was excellent. One of our guides had a pair of Swarovski's (not sure what model) but the Kowa's were just as good optically. Our guide was surprised as well.

Honestly minus adding a range finder I am not really sure what else you could want in a bino. I really like these Kowa BD42s.

I have a pair of Zeiss binos, imaging is clear, built durable, focus easily...overall great.

Very happy thus far with the Vortex Viper 8x42's from Liberty Optics. Wow, what a step up from Bushnell 10x25 H2O compacts!!!

I have 2 pair of Vortex binoculars. I have the 10x42 diamondback and the 12.5x42 Fury. If I had paid MSRP for each, I would be dissapointed in the Fury compared to the Diamondbacks. The dbacks are just as good and MSRP $150 cheaper. (got the fury's for $200 @ cameraland so I can't really complaid). My buddy has the bushnell trophy ($120 on sale) and I really can't tell much of a differnce but the Vortex warranty is bulletproof (supposedly)

The 10x50's seem heavy at first but you will get used to the weight. I hunted with SLC 10x42's and when I got my 15x56's I thought I would still use my 10x42's most of the time around my neck but I carry the 15's all the time now. We usually are glassing long distances and it is just better for me to have the 15's and carry the extra weight.

I have used binoculars at sea for over 150,000 sea miles on small boats. This is the most hostile environment you can think of for binoculars: corrosion, mechanical damage, constant mistreatment. In addition, the demands on optical quality are extraordinarily high, as you need to be able to see small objects (small buoys, underwater rocks, sea color) at dawn and dusk. You look for the best light gathering optics, along with the best possible contrast. It's sometimes an issue of life and death - much higher stakes than the average hunt. So small boat optics face tremendous scrutiny from long distance sailors.

The brand reputation in the offshore sailing community is, in general, as follows. Bushnell and Swaroski cannot deal with the constant abuse on small boats. Steiners take the abuse best, with great compactness and low weight, and have excellent optical properties. Fujinons have best dawn and dusk properties, but they are much heavier/ less handy.

After trying many brands and models, I have settled on Steiners for general carry, and I take out the Fujinons at dawn and dusk. The Fujinons are so heavy and unhandy that I could not carry them for a long period of time, and I think they could get damaged in the process because they are too bulky. If I have to take only a pair, I will take the Steiners. At sea I use 7x50 Commanders with compass. I need the 50mms for light gathering, but they weigh 2 lbs, still heavy.

On land, I am ready to sacrifice a bit of light for handiness, and I use Steiner Navigator 8x30, at about 18 oz. Good DOF, excellent FOV (390 ft @ 1000 yards), good eye relief. You can adjust each lense individually, once, for your eyesight, and they are set. They fit in a large pocket, they will take any abuse you will dish out. They will deal with the rain all day. Their optical properties are still excellent - although, of course, not as good as the 7x50s. I find them the best compromise I can find between robustness, compactness and optical quality.

Why I don't go for other Steiner models: Merlins are too fragile and don't bring improvement on the Navigators; Peregrines are too heavy; 10x42 police not quite as handy or robust, 30% less FOV, not as fast to use because of magnification, 40% heavier; 8x22 Predators - feasible is weight is critical (10 oz) but really lacking in light gathering, a bit fragile, and narrow FOV; 8x22 Safari Pros - feasible if weight is critical (9oz), lacking in light gathering, more fragile (but equal FOV), short eye relief.

Btw, imho, for magnification - at sea anything above 7x is unusable in any significant weather. On land, I can comfortably use up to 8x or 9x, but I don't find 10x handy enough: you have to be too careful to use them quickly, where an 8x pair of binoculars will give you a very quick look-through without any trouble when speed is of the essence. I think that 10x and above is for somebody who is not moving, and is able to set up his binoculars for a semi-permanent observation post only - I don't think they do well on the move.

A wise man once said, "Steiner is German for Tasco", and I'd agree 100%.

The "wise man" must have been a birdwatcher then. If he had ever taken his pretty glass Swarovski, or, for that matter, Nikon, Leica or Bushnell into a bit of a tougher environment, he would have found out very quickly that pretty glass does not help much when the frame falls apart:)

I don't have anything against these brands - some of then have great glass - but every equipment choice is a compromise between multiple criteria. You have to look at glass, weight, handiness, robustness, compactness, resistance to corrosion etc. I have seen many of these brands in really heavy weather at sea, while I don't think the "wise man" has ever put his gear to the test. My first pair of Steiner 7x50s has been with me since 1990, and they have gone to places where pretty Swarovski glass would have lasted about a day.

Let me suggest a test to the "wise man": put a pair of binoculars in a moving cockpit full of seawater for 3 days, swing them into a piece of metal every 12 seconds, throw 3 tons of salt water at them every 15 minutes, use them every hour, and let me know which one can be used to actually identify an 8 ft corroded green buoy at 3,500 yards in the middle of an 18 ft dark gray sea - or, in fact, which one survives more than a day:)

My original armored 7x50 Steiners have seen that and more many times over the last 20 years, and they are still able to reliably give me excellent IDs, both in outline and color, in heavy seas and very poor lighting at 3,500 yards. Maybe that's why the Coasties, many world navies, and a good percentage of the armored forces in Europe and the Middle East use them when they need something with good optical qualities that will withstand really tough conditions...

Edit: OK - I looked at the cheaper Steiners - my high evaluation of Steiner does not apply to them. I am talking abt the Marine versions, not the low end models.