• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best all around rear bag

I’ve been using the 3D ELR bag for a few months now and although I like it a lot more than the tab gear bag I was using previously, I still feel like it’s too low lol.

I’m a pretty big guy, and simply can’t get consistent support from the 3D ELR at the range. When I do, it’s fantastic and the best bag I’ve used. I only use a rear bag at the range (bench or prone) and don’t take it in the field. I just shoot from a tripod there to practice for hunting shots.

any advice on a slightly larger rear bag than the 3D ELR for bench and prone? I’d like to keep it with PU if possible.

Reactions: Average guy
I’ve been using the 3D ELR bag for a few months now and although I like it a lot more than the tab gear bag I was using previously, I still feel like it’s too low lol.

I’m a pretty big guy, and simply can’t get consistent support from the 3D ELR at the range. When I do, it’s fantastic and the best bag I’ve used. I only use a rear bag at the range (bench or prone) and don’t take it in the field. I just shoot from a tripod there to practice for hunting shots.

any advice on a slightly larger rear bag than the 3D ELR for bench and prone? I’d like to keep it with PU if possible.
You should have reached out months ago! Don’t fight your bag, let us know and we’ll get you fixed up. Sending you a PM.

ETA- The verdict is Yota is shooting downhill which makes a standard bag a stretch to fit well. Your shooting angle will have a huge impact on where your stock needs to be. Take that into account when you order and don’t hesitate to reach out if you aren’t sure what you need. And if you get your bag and realize it’s too big or too small go ahead let us know ASAP. Don’t fight with it. It’s a lot easier to swap out when it’s still brand new!

Last edited:
Let us know when the XXL shirts come back in stock. One of the best shirt materials I have come across yet. Similar to UA Charged Cotton (50Poly/50Cot) but way softer.

Ordered an PU ELR bag Friday night, ive been using a Triad tactical wedge for my rear bag and want something more stable, hopefully this is the ticket

To be honest I didn't read all the comments so im not sure if its in here but is there anyone how uses this bag that shoots alot of prs. Im hunting the perfect rear bag for prs if it exists. I use armageddon gear pint and pint sticky for one now just because it works but its not perfect. Just wondering

Bro- send it back and tell us what you need! It’s rare that one comes back but we do not want our bags sitting around or on the used market so we tweak a few per year.

And that sound like the opposite of what our bags do. Send me a PM and I’ll send you a shipping label. I can’t imagine our bag “just collapsing”.

We just sent some to Frank and he requested a few tweaks. A rear bag is like a shoe. It’s hard to fit everyone perfectly. As far as I know we are the only company that has a standing offer to adjust your bag as much as you need for the life of the bag. That’s the only way to make everyone happy because it’s impossible to make a bag that fits everyone perfectly.
Stuff like this may turn me into a customer, I need a can cover soonish.

Ordered an PU ELR bag Friday night, ive been using a Triad tactical wedge for my rear bag and want something more stable, hopefully this is the ticket
It’s damn stable. Great company with awesome customer service

Reactions: MK3XXX
Ive been using the small and large Tab Bags for the Rear Bag. This thread has my interest peaked on these. Thanks, I think.

You should have reached out months ago! Don’t fight your bag, let us know and we’ll get you fixed up. Sending you a PM.

ETA- The verdict is Yota is shooting downhill which makes a standard bag a stretch to fit well. Your shooting angle will have a huge impact on where your stock needs to be. Take that into account when you order and don’t hesitate to reach out if you aren’t sure what you need. And if you get your bag and realize it’s too big or too small go ahead let us know ASAP. Don’t fight with it. It’s a lot easier to swap out when it’s still brand new!
This is awesome to hear. I am a "big boned" fella myself. 6', 285 lbs. I have your larger bag on order. I shoot flat prone with my atlas on the tallest setting. Good to know if I require a taller bag, that we can work something out. Good to see vendors noticing and responding to the needs of their shooters.

I flip back and forth between the Armageddon Gear OG game changer and the schmedium, depends on the amount of rear elevation that is needed. Both bags work great!

A Game Changer is not a REAR BAG and actually get in the way of proper control,

We have different kinds of bags,

Rear Bags,

Rifle Rests

Puff Pillow

The Air filled bags bounce, the big bags block the shooter, this is Day One stuff...

Sure we can compromise, everyone knows that, if you are shooting a match and you want to limit what you carry, you compromise. You pop the rest on the barricade and drop it on the ground, shoot off it, works fine.

But aside from that situation, if you are just prone doping etc, and want to use a Rifle Rest as a rear bag, silly.

This is so important I have worked on and tested about 8 different version of a proper rear bag with Precision Underground. Size, fill, hand straps, all have a bearing. Supporting the rear of the rifle matters, how you support it matters.

We see all sorts of stuff and understand to varying degrees you can get away with a lot. But still, we see students after students show up with pillows and rest as rear bags and it doesn't work. They all struggle, hence we have bags to loan and it's night day.

remember you don't just sit the rifle on the top, you have to support the rifle too, hands should be on the stock, not just the bag.

If there is a prone stage with time to lay behind the rifle and adjust the bipod height and rear bag prior to the clock starting, a dedicated rear bag like a TAB or PU works very well. Unfortunately many PRS-style stages do not allow that option, and you must start your time with gear in hand, take your 3 steps (ha!), and lay down or place the rifle on the modified prone position. If the angle of fire is different than what you expect, you either have to adjust your bipod legs on the clock (which can be difficult with an Atlas and a 20+ pound rifle), or compromise with the TAB bag. That is why you see a lot of heavy fill Gamechanger type bags used in the rear, because they give the flexibility to accommodate a wide variety of shooting positions with a given bipod height.

I also think a lot of it has to do with buttstock and bag rider design. On the AX buttstock it has the hook, and in front of the hook a large step-up in height for a TAB bag to fit perfectly (see Frank's picture above). However, on rifles like the ACC and MPA the bag rider is very low, long, and flat. Unless your bipod is jacked all the way up to its max height, you'd be hard pressed to even fit your hand underneath it let alone a TAB bag. Combine that with people wanting to slam their bipod as low as it will go, that's why you see a lot of guys using the "V" crotch of a gamechanger bag as a rear support because the bag rider is only 1" from the ground.

Personally I shoot best with a TAB rear bag, then a full size GC with the heavy bead fill (which is what I mostly use at matches). I cannot shoot for crap with the sand-filled GC bags in rear, I find the sand makes it nearly impossible to precisely squeeze and just feels like holding a brick.

If there is a prone stage with time to lay behind the rifle and adjust the bipod height and rear bag prior to the clock starting, a dedicated rear bag like a TAB or PU works very well. Unfortunately many PRS-style stages do not allow that option, and you must start your time with gear in hand, take your 3 steps (ha!), and lay down or place the rifle on the modified prone position. If the angle of fire is different than what you expect, you either have to adjust your bipod legs on the clock (which can be difficult with an Atlas and a 20+ pound rifle), or compromise with the TAB bag. That is why you see a lot of heavy fill Gamechanger type bags used in the rear, because they give the flexibility to accommodate a wide variety of shooting positions with a given bipod height.

I also think a lot of it has to do with buttstock and bag rider design. On the AX buttstock it has the hook, and in front of the hook a large step-up in height for a TAB bag to fit perfectly (see Frank's picture above). However, on rifles like the ACC and MPA the bag rider is very low, long, and flat. Unless your bipod is jacked all the way up to its max height, you'd be hard pressed to even fit your hand underneath it let alone a TAB bag. Combine that with people wanting to slam their bipod as low as it will go, that's why you see a lot of guys using the "V" crotch of a gamechanger bag as a rear support because the bag rider is only 1" from the ground.

Personally I shoot best with a TAB rear bag, then a full size GC with the heavy bead fill (which is what I mostly use at matches). I cannot shoot for crap with the sand-filled GC bags in rear, I find the sand makes it nearly impossible to precisely squeeze and just feels like holding a brick.
The Ultra Bag Rider from MPA has two heights and is more adaptable IMHO than the one height rider they make.

As I noted compromise I get...

PRS is honestly ruining this sport, it's tactical benchrest more suited alongside belly benchrest,

it's turning off a lot of people and just as many older school competitors, nobody wants to continue in this direction, but they will

As I noted compromise I get...

PRS is honestly ruining this sport, it's tactical benchrest more suited alongside belly benchrest,

it's turning off a lot of people and just as many older school competitors, nobody wants to continue in this direction, but they will
Is it PRS, or is it the competitors that are ruining it?

Both since the PRS allowed it to happen and the head is also a competitor
Do you think a limitation on bags would be a good way to right the ship? Or do we need to get away from all the prone/modified prone stages?

I like bag limits, but there is no reason to tell someone how they can shoot a stage,

I get why they are doing it, Anyway, you slice it, you need three bags, but really this is about the overall rules and not any single rule on it's own.

Rest, Rear bag, with Pillow is always gonna be there.

Do you think a limitation on bags would be a good way to right the ship? Or do we need to get away from all the prone/modified prone stages?
Bag limitations would definitely put more difficulty back into some of the matches. Probably a lot of backlash though..

Have you guys been seeing aides such as tripods, etc. being disallowed at certain matches?
The matches I shot in the past at Frontline never allowed tripods. Not sure if that's still a thing or not.

I'd like to see more truly positional stages, shooting off of pipes, scaffolding, barracaides, out of vehicles, etc. Bags only get you so far on stuff like that, the rest is on you to build a position.

Tripods should be used, period, they are the best universal tool we have. That said they should require a mix of deployment. Having to start a stage with the tripod closed is one, that in itself is an art and promoted the creation of a new tripod for shooting with one leg, so it checks both boxes,

Limiting bags to 3 is fine and does not really limit the bags, but it limits the gamesmanship

Really the rules should be wide enough to open a certain amount of doors, and narrow enough not to be taken advantage of which is the balance. I have an answer but they would never do it as it would require effort.

Reactions: C.R. Adams
Tripods should be used, period, they are the best universal tool we have. That said they should require a mix of deployment. Having to start a stage with the tripod closed is one, that in itself is an art and promoted the creation of a new tripod for shooting with one leg, so it checks both boxes,

Limiting bags to 3 is fine and does not really limit the bags, but it limits the gamesmanship

Really the rules should be wide enough to open a certain amount of doors, and narrow enough not to be taken advantage of which is the balance. I have an answer but they would never do it as it would require effort.
Fair point about tripods.

Out of curiosity, what's your answer?

My answer is actually spelling it out and creating real rules for competitors that are universal and then allow the individual match directors the ability to build stages where the rules are known upfront.

The PRS does not enforce any rules on competitors, they like to claim they are like NASCAR but NASCAR sanctions and enforces rules on the drivers and teams. They have guidelines for things like safety for the tracks, and rules for the competitors. PRS is backward, they give MD hard times over stuff but turn their heads when a competitor causes an issue. rulebooks in NASCAR change every year

example: If you ND in a Match, you should be taxed PRS Points, not just in the match you ND'd but overall to set you back.

It's a governing body that does not govern

The matches I shot in the past at Frontline never allowed tripods. Not sure if that's still a thing or not.

I'd like to see more truly positional stages, shooting off of pipes, scaffolding, barricades, out of vehicles, etc. Bags only get you so far on stuff like that, the rest is on you to build a position.
Agreed! I've been seeing more and ore cattle gate-type props that definitely turn the heat up! Seeing some chains slung b/w posts too!

Agreed! I've been seeing more and ore cattle gate-type props that definitely turn the heat up! Seeing some chains slung b/w posts too!

we had to shoot off a fucking cargo net! I hated it and enjoyed it all at the same time.

ETA: as far as bags go Ive been trying to limit myself in how much I carry for the sake of carrying shit, but additionally, I really hate the indecisiveness I experience trying to figure out which of my rest bags to use on a certain stage, rather keeping 1, maybe 2 on hand and just learn to use them as they are.

My answer is actually spelling it out and creating real rules for competitors that are universal and then allow the individual match directors the ability to build stages where the rules are known upfront.

The PRS does not enforce any rules on competitors, they like to claim they are like NASCAR but NASCAR sanctions and enforces rules on the drivers and teams. They have guidelines for things like safety for the tracks, and rules for the competitors. PRS is backward, they give MD hard times over stuff but turn their heads when a competitor causes an issue. rulebooks in NASCAR change every year

example: If you ND in a Match, you should be taxed PRS Points, not just in the match you ND'd but overall to set you back.

It's a governing body that does not govern

You mean like every other sanctioned sport on earth?! Yeah, I agree. I think if shooters were held to actual rules and standards it would cut back on the guys who decide to be jackasses (not that it's a huge issue).

Just throwing ideas out there, but what about a "Practical Tactical" division? Weight limits on guns, military cartridges, one bag, etc.

Reactions: Newbie2020
They won't listen or change, plus rightfully so I have burned that bridge pretty well to the water,

The answer is a new series and honestly, I could do it, especially with the new changes to the site, when this moves over to the new servers and system, I can really incorporate a "series' using the gamification stuff already built into it. Unfortunately it;s a time thing, the better answer would be for me to host it here for the site, and have someone else run it for the series

The answer is simple, two divisions,

Open with limited rules
Limited with a greater degree of rules

Well I just learned a metric button in this thead. Guess I'll be giving PU some business

As a sticky Game Changer person (recommended by a PRS guy--ironically) I'd never had proper bag usage explained. Hell unless my bipod (harris--forgive me Father Frank for I have sinned--Atlas is on order) is on it lowest setting I can barely shoot due to the barricades at my ranges.

Anywho with regards to PRS (going with the threadjack) competition is always a double edged sword. It brings in people but it also pushes things in the "gamer" direction.

Putting aside PRS, look at USPSA: we got huge heavy handguns in production (CZs) and we all carry glock 19s. Race holsters, etc... And don't get me started on carry optics where the weight limit is something like 50 lbs. Or limited: The last stand of the .40. Or open: 9mm Major.
And then: IDPA--where fishing vests go to die.

Gamers gonna game.

I do appreciate the fundamentals being taught though--now where is that damn online training I keep ignoring,.