• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best AR-10 for $2k budget

nuclear_shooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2013
I'm saving up to buy an AR-10 style in early 2014. I posted here early about the DPMS LR-308, and a lot of people recommended I look at the DPMS SASS, and that is currently my first choice. I got to lay hands on one in Sportsman's Warehouse, and really liked the way it felt. The gun can be had for about 1700-1800 or less depending on what you can find online, so it falls perfectly into my budget. I just want to see what other guns I should look at in the same (or similar) price range. My only requirements are 18-20" barrel (I might consider longer), and the ability to use SR-25 magazines (sorry, no Armalites). Just want to make sure I don't overlook any other options! Thanks.

Edit: I know 'best' is relative, I'm looking for the best bang for the buck...

Edit 2: I would like to use this as a precision rifle, not really a battle rifle (so I don't care if its 12 lbs).

Last edited:
The DPMS SASS is a great bang for the buck that really doesn't require much, if any, "upgrading" out of the box aside from addt'l mags and a quality optic/rings/mount. Feeding it good fodder and with a competent shooter driving it, they are very capable rifles. I'm not a huge fan of the "upgraded" single-stage JP triggers found on the SASS rifles, so I'd snag the rifle for a good price and then drop the coin you save from your ~$2k budget on a Geissele trigger of your choosing (should be able to offset the cost somewhat by selling the JP as many people like/prefer them over a two-stage...totally personal preference).

If you really want to stretch your money, then building is another option as you can truly build the exact rifle you want with all the features you want (and none you don't) from the get-go.

PWS mk218 and 220 but are at the $3k range
Unfortunately, my budget is fixed. I'd actually like to come in under $2k and have a bit more for magazines and sling. The budget doesn't even include the scope/rings (probably another 500 if I got SWFA SS, more if I go Viper).

The DPMS SASS is a great bang for the buck that really doesn't require much, if any, "upgrading" out of the box aside from addt'l mags and a quality optic/rings/mount. Feeding it good fodder and with a competent shooter driving it, they are very capable rifles. I'm not a huge fan of the "upgraded" single-stage JP triggers found on the SASS rifles, so I'd snag the rifle for a good price and then drop the coin you save from your ~$2k budget on a Geissele trigger of your choosing (should be able to offset the cost somewhat by selling the JP as many people like/prefer them over a two-stage...totally personal preference).

If you really want to stretch your money, then building is another option as you can truly build the exact rifle you want with all the features you want (and none you don't) from the get-go.

Great advice! Unfortunately building is out for now. Once I graduate, I will consider building my own 6.5 CM/260 rem upper though. I do, however, like that the SASS has many of the features I want (stock, barrel, rail).

You are already looking at probly the best shooting 308 AR under 2k. The DPMS SASS is exactly what you describe, the best "bang" for the buck. I have shot a couple that were EZ moa rifles with factory ammo. If you can afford to squeeze a bit more $$ out, the DPMS REPR will shoot as good and be a bit lighter, but will run $2200-2300 most places. I like (and own) other more expensive 308s, but DPMS is reasonably priced, has availability of spare parts, and are dependable. I can't even order spare screws for my LMT, nevermind a fugging BCG.

You are already looking at probly the best shooting 308 AR under 2k. The DPMS SASS is exactly what you describe, the best "bang" for the buck. I have shot a couple that were EZ moa rifles with factory ammo. If you can afford to squeeze a bit more $$ out, the DPMS REPR will shoot as good and be a bit lighter, but will run $2200-2300 most places. I like (and own) other more expensive 308s, but DPMS is reasonably priced, has availability of spare parts, and are dependable. I can't even order spare screws for my LMT, nevermind a fugging BCG.

Excellent. I've already handled the trigger and didn't love it, but it should get me though the first few months. It looks like its pretty easy to get blank uppers for these guns as well.

I agree with almost everything ORD said. I have a DPMS SASS and with FGMM ammo or my 168 grain SMK hand loads in Lapua brass usually shoots 0.6-0.7 moa 5 shoot 100 yard groups. My only disagreement is on the the JP trigger I like it. But as he said it's a personal preference and not worth it to me to spend the extra $$$ to replace the trigger.
I have a number of 308's that cost more 1 a lot more and do not shoot much better. To date have never had a single problem with the SASS. The only down side it's a beast to lug around.

....If you really want to stretch your money, then building is another option as you can truly build the exact rifle you want with all the features you want (and none you don't) from the get-go.
The problem is finding all the parts. Some parts are ridiculous!

The MWS has 16,18,20 inch options in chrome line or SS and in at least 4 different calibers. That said you will be hard pressed to find one under $2700 lately.

You can get both 18" and 20" barrels for them. Even the 16" CL barrel shoots extremely well, both of mine were 1/2MOA with FGMM and 178amax loads.

Parts are getting easier and easier to find, Rainier Arms always has a lot of 308 ar parts in stock. You dont get the instant satisfaction of purchasing a rifle when you build but the taste is that much sweeter when youre shooting tiny groups on a rifle you put together yourself. I built a ma-ten for just under 1800 at the height of the gun scare this past winter. If youre dead set on buying, my vote goes to M&P or CMMG.

The S&W mp10 is real shooter, also the cmmg mk3 is in that price range.

I picked up the mp10 for around 1350 out the door. Needed some mods to make it how i wanted but overall very hard to beat in the price range and able to make it into your own for a few more hundred.

+1 on components for builds becoming more available (and for very reasonable, non-gouging prices to boot)! Some major mfgs are only running 2-3mos on big components like matched upper/lower receiver sets if you can't find what you want in stock immediately. The other great thing about building is that you can decide on what you want in terms of your ideal build components and space the cost out over several months as you are able to buy (instead of having to "buy all at once" like with a complete rifle...$1800 up front can be daunting for a lot of folks).

But...if buying a complete, ready to roll out of the box, accurate and reliable semi-auto...I still say that the DPMS SASS is THE best bang for the buck going with a DPMS/KAC pattern rifle, followed by the Armalite AR-10T series rifles (but I know you said you didn't want Armalite).

What's your budget for optics, mount, bipod, etc.?

Also, the Armalite AR10A uses SR25 mags. Since your stated primary use is a precision rifle, I would build, starting with a Lilja drop-in barrel in .260 Remington if you hand-load. If you will primarily use factory ammo, consider .308 Winchester, with the limited reach that cartridge has, especially in the wind.

If going .308, I would start with a Lilja, Fulton Criterion, or Ranier Select Match barrel, and build outward from there. Get a BCG, nice billet set or blem set from 7.62sass.com, LPK, and furniture of your choice. Geissele SSA-E trigger. Some PMAGs, good US-made mount, Vortex Optics Viper PST.

Add lube, feed, blast.

Last edited:
Excellent. I've already handled the trigger and didn't love it, but it should get me though the first few months. It looks like its pretty easy to get blank uppers for these guns as well.

A monkey could do some work on that trigger and make it nice enough though, with no money and 30 minutes.

SIG 716 is nice in that price range

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk now Free

I second the Sig 716. I would not rule out a 16" barrel. I had a buddy with a DPMS SASS and it was a great gun but it just wasn't super reliable. It constantly had feeding issues with Federal 168 SMKs. I would put my 716 is the ring with a SASS all day and shoot just as good. I get sub MOA out of mine out to 600 yards. The truth is with modern barrel production, length does not make a "huge" difference anymore.

Several people mentioned the CMMG and S&W M10. How does the value and accuracy compare to the DMPS SASS considering I will have to upgrade at least the stock and probably the trigger?

What's your budget for optics, mount, bipod, etc.?

Also, the Armalite AR10A uses SR25 mags. Since your stated primary use is a precision rifle, I would build, starting with a Lilja drop-in barrel in .260 Remington if you hand-load. If you will primarily use factory ammo, consider .308 Winchester, with the limited reach that cartridge has, especially in the wind.

If going .308, I would start with a Lilja, Fulton Criterion, or Ranier Select Match barrel, and build outward from there. Get a BCG, nice billet set or blem set from 7.62sass.com, LPK, and furniture of your choice. Geissele SSA-E trigger. Some PMAGs, good US-made mount, Vortex Optics Viper PST.

Add lube, feed, blast.

My stated budget is *just* for the rifle. I'm thinking about getting the Vortex Viper PST 2-10x and maybe Seekins high rights. I'll probably cross that bridge when I come to it. I also have 2 308 pmags I grabbed a few months back.

I really don't have the time or setup to build a rifle (I live in an apt and am a graduate student) so for now I think I'm gonna go with a factor rifle. In the future, I plan on build a 260 rem upper for the gun. I will want to drop a bit more coin on it than I'm willing to spend on a grad student budget (you might ask how I can buy any rifle on such a budget but I get some help from my dad and don't need/own a car :D).

Beyond building your own, IMO, the Rainier Arms RUC gives you the most for your money in both quality and features. I have to roll my own since I built the best AR's on the planet!:D

Beyond building your own, IMO, the Rainier Arms RUC gives you the most for your money in both quality and features. I have to roll my own since I built the best AR's on the planet!:D

Maybe I'm wrong but that looks like an AR-15. In fact I can't find anything on their site in 308...

Edit: I did find their 308 barrels, but not their rifles. I don't like their site :D

Last edited:
Several people mentioned the CMMG and S&W M10. How does the value and accuracy compare to the DMPS SASS considering I will have to upgrade at least the stock and probably the trigger?

The stock really doesnt have a great deal to do with accuracy other that maintaining a good cheek weld. Geissle triggers are they only way to go as far as AR triggers go.

I really don't have the time or setup to build a rifle (I live in an apt and am a graduate student)

For what it's worth, I built mine in the living room of my apartment on my coffee table. Just needed an AR armorers wrench and a set of allen keys. They really are like leggos for grown ups.

Maybe I'm wrong but that looks like an AR-15. In fact I can't find anything on their site in 308...

Edit: I did find their 308 barrels, but not their rifles. I don't like their site :D

Sorry my bad, had AR15 in my head. Build your own. Start with a Mega Maten upper/lower combo. The Rainier Arms barrels are excellent. I would never pay $1700 for a DPMS regardless of caliber.

Sorry my bad, had AR15 in my head. Build your own. Start with a Mega Maten upper/lower combo. The Rainier Arms barrels are excellent. I would never pay $1700 for a DPMS regardless of caliber.

Here is some quick and dirty figures for building your own:

$654 for the Maten upper and lower http://megaarms.com/maten/receiver-sets/billet-upper-lower-sets/standard-billet-upper-lower-set/
$255 for the PRS adjustable stock (I could also probably grab the standard AR-10 style stock for about $80, but I really want adjustable)
$395 for the Rainer UltraMatch barrel (18" and 20" are the same price)
$230 for SSA-E
Not sure about BCG but I expect to pay about $200 ±50
Handguards/rails also look to be $200 ± 30
The lower kit, buffer tube, upper kit (not sure if Maten needs one or not), muzzle device will probably be about $200
Plus I'd need a torque wrench and upper vice block...

If I did my math right, that comes to $2104 (plus or minus depending on handguard and other stuff). I could also save a little if I got the Rainier Select barrel (I think). That's definitely in the realm of the possible... especially since I could spread out the pain over several months. Thoughts on this/recommendations for the BCG/handguards/parts kit/initial build?

I would source the BCG first; they can sometimes be tricky to find. The PRS stock is definitely a user preference. I like the adjustable length and the flat bottom so it rides a rear bag. The slope on an A2 style stock I find it faster for changing elevation adjustment using a squeeze sock on the rear. I never use the height adjustment as I still prefer a cheek weld on an AR like I'm shooting open sights. I use rings or rails to get the scope to the right level. I would add an adjustable gas block as well. Looks like it should be a good build.

I built a DPMS SASS starting last November by picking up a DPMS lower. Then in Dec everything went to shit and parts vanished. I found the stock and trigger kit in Jan.

Then around march I grabbed a stripped upper off of gunbroker and about a month later nabbed a nickel boron bolt group from there. Then this summer i finished it out with a new 18 flutted SASS barrel from a pvt sale and from a Crossroads guns show DPMS SASS hand guard, gas tube and break.

I have about $1700 into it and a year of shopping. Works like a champ but its a heavy beast, I think its a keeper :cool:

Took is to Wyoming this last week and put the hurt on a few P-Dogs.

Now to sight in this week, the REM 700 SPS Varmint with the Vortex Viper 6-24x50 ffp and that bang stick i just finished.

Last edited:
Well, if I'm building it from scratch I might as well go for 260 rem off the bat *wallet braces for impact*.

One of the main reasons I built two 308 platforms, is the cost and availability of ammo.

I have plenty of AR 556/223 platforms including a bolt gun, but did not have a "battle rifle" (not that it will ever see battle) but wanting something with more KE than a 22 cal bullet but still have ammo available and cost effective, i went with the 308.

Plenty of surplus or white box "burner" ammo available a less than ¢80/rnd and getting a little cheaper as time goes on.

One of the main reasons I built two 308 platforms, is the cost and availability of ammo.

I have plenty of AR 556/223 platforms including a bolt gun, but did not have a "battle rifle" (not that it will ever see battle) but wanting something with more KE than a 22 cal bullet but still have ammo available and cost effective, i went with the 308.

Plenty of surplus or white box "burner" ammo available a less than ¢80/rnd and getting a little cheaper as time goes on.

I reload, so cost of ammo is not a deciding factor. Its also not really a battle rifle, and I won't be shooting white box ammo though it. Plus I could always build another upper...

I purchased the LRT-SASS 1-1/2 or 2 years ago & was very pleased. I don't think you'd be disappointed mine came w/Harris bipod & Troy sights which it looks like they are using Magpul now.
After reading this thread makes me want to shoot her, it's been a long while since she's been out of the safe.

Good luck w/whatever way you decice to go.