• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Best ar 10 rifle

jamesmspencerjr

Private
Minuteman
Jun 25, 2014
Hello what is the best AR 10 rifle LMT LM8, LA Rue OBR, SR 25 Knights EC?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

+1 for JP enterprises.....
And I just happen to be selling a certificate for 40% off a JP (shameless plug)

APA built me a sweet one. I sent in a POF upper and lower and some small parts.

Armalite, as it's the only AR-10.

0.jpg

Mega Arms is hard to beat. Really enjoyed building mine! Cant go wrong with any top manufactures really. Buy once!

I own the LMT MWS, POF P-308. and an OBR. In order of accuracy: OBR followed very closely by the POF P-308 and last the LMT MWS.

Kind of depends on what you are going to do with it....

Partial to KAC ECR or ECC. Don't own one yet but have shot my friends on several occasions. I also like the MR762 by H&K but some don't consider that a true AR-10.

BR,

Any of those rifles are great shooters if you do your part and use some match ammo like FGMM. Once you reload and find your pet load any of the above can be an sub moa shooter.

To do... fucking... what with it...

Seriously, does anyone here have a clue what the OP really NEEDS? Budget? Weight and size requirements? Accuracy versus reliability? Or is this another poll to see who has the most fans on the Hide?

To do... fucking... what with it...

Seriously, does anyone here have a clue what the OP really NEEDS? Budget? Weight and size requirements? Accuracy versus reliability? Or is this another poll to see who has the most fans on the Hide?

Holy Shit, it took until post #19 for someone with some sense to ask the OP what he's looking to do? The fact that this is his first post ever on the Hide and it's in the wrong section should've been a pretty big clue that some more information may be helpful.
[MENTION=105576]jamesmspencerjr[/MENTION], first off, welcome to the Hide. Everyone has been giving you the hit list of top makers, but no one knows what you're looking to do with it yet.

Are you wanting a precision AR or more of a patrol rifle/carbine? What's your intended use for it? What's your budget? With budget keep in mind that even on the most affordable side of quality optics you're still looking at about $1k with a mount/rings and you can go up astronomically from there.

I'd recommend that you do some searches as this has been beaten to death in the Semi-Auto Rifles forum. If you don't find your answer (unlikely) then post it up there with your requirements and budget. You'll get a lot of the same answers there, but people will at least be responding to a more specific set of criteria and there are some bright guys like Elfster who have done mind-numbing amounts of research and testing on AR platforms.

Again, welcome to the Hide.

This is the best for me. A 308 WIN that weighs less than a 16" 5.56, adjustable gas, can shoot subs or supers, and ultra reliable. In the works... Maybe a week or two unti I'm completely done....

I just need to mill out the handguard, smooth edges, "accurize" upper receiver, do a quick trigger job and she'll be good to go!

Lmt308

I have the LMT308WMS with the 16in barrel. Shot it yesterday. It really likes 168gr Match ammo. Groups shot were .28, .32, .30 in that order. Shot it off of a concrete bench but with the tripod. It has a Specwar 762 suppressor on it. I just mounted the Vortex Razor genii 1x6 on it. The picture has it with the Vortex Viper PST 6-24 that came on it when I bought it. The pic of the group was the only one that my buddy sent me from his phone. I'm really happy. I would love the OBR but I can't see buying one since this one has found its sweet spot. I will say nothing about the POF.

Attachments

• 20140626_192245[1].jpg
    20140626_192245[1].jpg
    594.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 20140408_165712[1].jpg
    20140408_165712[1].jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
Bogeybrown thank you so very much for your input. I have an obr and a SR 25 EC. I just wanted to know what ar weapon system were good. I purchased them because I talked to different shooters.

Holy Shit, it took until post #19 for someone with some sense to ask the OP what he's looking to do? The fact that this is his first post ever on the Hide and it's in the wrong section should've been a pretty big clue that some more information may be helpful.
[MENTION=105576]jamesmspencerjr[/MENTION], first off, welcome to the Hide. Everyone has been giving you the hit list of top makers, but no one knows what you're looking to do with it yet.

Are you wanting a precision AR or more of a patrol rifle/carbine? What's your intended use for it? What's your budget? With budget keep in mind that even on the most affordable side of quality optics you're still looking at about $1k with a mount/rings and you can go up astronomically from there.

I'd recommend that you do some searches as this has been beaten to death in the Semi-Auto Rifles forum. If you don't find your answer (unlikely) then post it up there with your requirements and budget. You'll get a lot of the same answers there, but people will at least be responding to a more specific set of criteria and there are some bright guys like Elfster who have done mind-numbing amounts of research and testing on AR platforms.

Again, welcome to the Hide.

Welcome to the hide. You will need to know that when you ask the "what is the best _____" of anything, without giving detailed wants and or needs of said item, you are leaving the door wide open to a variety of responses. Each user is different, so the needs/wants of the item will differ as much. Please take the time and think about what is it that you want. Hell, make a list and answer the questions as best as you can, then say, "This is what I want and expect of of it" then, you will get better detailed information. This does not only apply here, but anywhere you may have a question about a topic. To get ideas of questions you should be asking, do some research, you may find ideas for questions that you may not have thought of. I know it's easier to just ask a open question, but you will get the equivalent answers in return. I am not bashing you, just trying to help you help yourself and others to get you the right answer the (hopefully) first time. It will take some time, but in the end you will thank yourself for doing so, plus not aggravate yourself and others. I did the same thing when I switched from bolt to gasser, two completely different animals to learn how to shoot proficiently, the bolt is simple for me compared to the gasser platform, especially in the higher calibers. The HIDE is a great place to get and give information, just be patient, do your part and others will do theirs. Good luck in the future, if you need help, contact me, I'll do my best to help out.

Here is an example, my LR 308 parts build:
MEGA Matched upper and lower
MEGA and RAINIER ARMS ULTRA MATCH (both 16" 1-10 twist SS)
Troy ALPHA Battle Rail (Troy Alpha Rail STRX-AL1-13BT-01)
Geissele SD-3G trigger
Troy HK Battle sights (F&R)
JP LMOS BCG
JP Silent Captured Spirng
Phantom II FS
Hogue grip
and so on....

I have found that no one makes "The ultimate AR" or you would get that answer every time. It's shooters choice.

Last edited:
Bogeybrown thank you so very much for your input. I have an obr and a SR 25 EC. I just wanted to know what ar weapon system were good. I purchased them because I talked to different shooters.

Both of your rifles are top of the line. Lots of people would consider either of them to be "the best". The question you asked in your first post is right up there with asking everyone what their favorite color is.

Suggestion: why don't you go to the range and run several hundred rounds through both of them, then post a range report as to how they do and which one is best based on your first hand experience.

Last edited:
Without knowing anything about either rifle I went out and purchase them. The knights SR 25 EC was said to be a combat rifle it has a 16 inch barrel. My OBR has an 18 inch barrel for more legs. Can you please tell me what scope you would put on either?

Without knowing anything about either rifle I went out and purchase them. The knights SR 25 EC was said to be a combat rifle it has a 16 inch barrel. My OBR has an 18 inch barrel for more legs. Can you please tell me what scope you would put on either?

Hey, you're welcome brother. If you didn't know anything about either of them and went out and spent the money on two top of the line highly expensive rifles, then you're going to fit in very well here.

As for the scope, you stepped in the same hole again buddy. You could be looking at anything from a $7k piece of German glass to a $100 red dot depending on what you want to do with those rifles. There's a few threads going at the moment in the optics section that are covering this exact topic, there's also a sticky at the top over there that has a great write-up on choosing optics.

As with the rifles, decide:

Budget
Intended use
Must-have features
Nice to have features

You can buy one scope and swap it, but I don't think the EC has a built-in cant to the top rail the way the OBR does (correct me if I'm wrong) so swapping a scope between the 2 is going to involve a 20moa adjustment from one to the other. For that reason I went ahead and bought a separate scope just for my GAP10 because it wasn't going to play nice with my OBR.

As I said buddy, figure out what's important to you and what you want to spend then peruse some of the active threads in the "Rifle Scopes" forum. I'm confident that you'll find your answer there.

As a matter of last resort, there's some Hide vendors you can call who'll be more than happy to talk to you for as long as you'd like and get you set up with a good optic at Hide-pricing, but don't waste their time. If you call and make use of their knowledge, then be prepared to fork up the money at the end of the conversation.

Hey, you're welcome brother. If you didn't know anything about either of them and went out and spent the money on two top of the line highly expensive rifles, then you're going to fit in very well here.

Too funny! Sadly, it's done more often than one may think....

Lots of great choices depending on your budget and the type shooting you're going to do (distances etc):) If you'll provide a little more info and you'll get lots of great suggestions that will help you out for your specific needs!

I wouldn't worry too much about the SR25 being called a "combat rifle". Both of your sticks are fantastic and deserve good glass. Just let us know what you're planning to do with them and how much you want to spend.

Out of the rifles listed: flip a coin. As others have said, better throw a GAP-10 and a JP in the ring for "best AR-10."

+1 for the POF P308. Mine has been 100% reliable, 11.6lbs with UBR stock and 3.5-10x40 mounted. Shoots submoa all day long with best group .33 yesterday with Hornady 168gr AMAX match ammo. I've added an SSA-E since the below picture and that really tightened up my groups.

I think that all the rifles we talk about in this forum are awesome and it just comes down to personal preference and how much money you have to spend. Good luck but Alibi is correct the only true AR-10 is made by Armalite the rest are AR-10 type rifles.

Last edited:
I think that all the rifles we talk about in this forum are awesome and it just comes down to personal preference and how much money you have to spend. Good luck but Alibi is correct the only true AR-10 is made by Armalite the rest are AR-10 type rifles.

You mean were made by armalite. The Armalite of today is not the same armalite that Eugene Stoner developed the ar10 for back in the 50s.

Knights armament is the nearest thing to the ar10 legacy