• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best ar-10 under 1700 ish

There is no Mil-Spec or industry standard for AR10s/AR308s, like there is for AR15s/M4s- parts incompatibility is an issue.

On average, self built Ar10s/Ar308s have more reliability issues than factory versions.

Just buy the Stag or Sig 716i and have fun shooting it. :)

Reactions: Tikkaguy
The Armalite company of today isn't the original company- the name Armalite has been bought and sold at least a few times to various owners.

There is no Mil-Spec or industry standard for AR10s/AR308s, like there is for AR15s/M4s- parts incompatibility is an issue.

On average, self built Ar10s/Ar308s have more reliability issues than factory versions.

Just buy the Stag or Sig 716i and have fun shooting it. :)
that's why when I do build, I stick to one make for the most part. I've been pretty lucky with aero parts.

The Armalite company of today isn't the original company- the name Armalite has been bought and sold at least a few times to various owners.
No doubt, 1954 was the original they then went under as many people know(M14/M16). HK, Colt, Armalite, Browning, Winchester, S&W, Remington ad nauseum. Not sure what that has to do with AR10's as zero mid 1950's companies make large gassers. Name any company that hasn't changed hands since inception!! Beretta and FN would be my guess.
Armalite was the original, Stoner worked for Armalite, then Knights. Knights perhaps is the modern version of the epitomy of the large frame .308 but history does tell the story that started with Armalite and Stoners designs. And here people constantly say there is not "mil spec" AR10 but there is, Armalite. Everything else is based on that concept, Knights included which perfected the platform IMO.

Neither is Colt, Springfield, Smith and Wesson, Coca-Cola etc...

What's your point beyond tge obvious?

They’re still solid rifles. Probably the best BCG’s other than LMT and KAC. The designs are similar

Reactions: GhostFace
The only issue I have had with building a LR was the old original Elf trigger wouldn't ignite milspec rounds reliably.
Told Elf about it, sent it back, about a week later had a new trigger and zero more issues....
And I've built quite a few AR308s.

If you can't build a reliable and accurate AR308.....you probably can't build a lego AR15 either.
BTW, I've built them from high dollar Mega billet receivers, and from low dollar Aero receivers.....the only difference is bragging rights.

They’re still solid rifles. Probably the best BCG’s other than LMT and KAC. The designs are similar
What a lot of people don't know is the SR-25 was used as the base rifle for the current AR-10. KAC's goal at the time was to try to use as many parts from the AR-15 in the SR-25 as possible. Westrom decided to beef up some areas, mainly the bolt catch. Also people at LMT worked on the AR-10 project too, remember they were right down the road from each other. I spoke to Gene from LMT on the phone about it many,many moons ago.

Yeah, they share alot of the same DNA. It cracks me up when some people shit on them....

KAC and LMT as basically kissing cousins to a large degree. LMT is slipping and tripping over their dCK at the moment though, absolute horrid quality control and customer service since their move.

I'm three large frames deep and if I had it to do over again I'd have just pulled the trigger on the gap10 that I spec'd out. $3,500 seemed like a lot at the time, but here I am, probably 7k and three rifles later and I'm still wanting a better ar10 pattern gun.

I started with a new at the time, sig716, then I had a 14.5" POS, I mean, POF, now I'm shooting a PWSMK216 and it's been the best so far. I like the gun, but it doesn't play well with my can so I'm exploring options. Currently looking at the dd5v4 at my local gs.

But, after reading some of the co.ments here, I'm rethinking things. Do I absolutely need a large frame ? For what ? Maybe I'll ditch it and get a PRI mk12 upper. Been wanting one anyway. What are some other recommendations for a complete mk12 upper ?

Reactions: tex68w
I'm three large frames deep and if I had it to do over again I'd have just pulled the trigger on the gap10 that I spec'd out. $3,500 seemed like a lot at the time, but here I am, probably 7k and three rifles later and I'm still wanting a better ar10 pattern gun.

I started with a new at the time, sig716, then I had a 14.5" POS, I mean, POF, now I'm shooting a PWSMK216 and it's been the best so far. I like the gun, but it doesn't play well with my can so I'm exploring options. Currently looking at the dd5v4 at my local gs.

But, after reading some of the co.ments here, I'm rethinking things. Do I absolutely need a large frame ? For what ? Maybe I'll ditch it and get a PRI mk12 upper. Been wanting one anyway. What are some other recommendations for a complete mk12 upper ?
There is a like new police trade in GAP10 on the shelf at Clyde Armory for $2399 if that’s what you’re wanting.

There is a like new police trade in GAP10 on the shelf at Clyde Armory for $2399 if that’s what you’re wanting.
It's what I wanted. At one time. I'm on to an spr build now lol. Criterion barrels any good ? Haven't had a lot of time to research them yet. I'll do a search here when I get time.

Building an AR10 isn't nearly as hard as some people in this thread would have you believe. Putting one together isn't cheaper than factory low cost rifles if you actually want it to run well. Most factory low end AR10s have long term durability issues, fortunately most users don't shoot them enough for it to matter.
Exactly what he said. Ive built two now and they run flawlessly. I use an aero upper and lower, Vltor a5 buffer ext, carbine heavy buffer I think 6.4 or so, sprinco red or orange spring, gesielle trigger and that’s about it. My 6.5cm I haven’t tested much it’s brand new but my 308 16” is absolutely flawless and has never failed to fire. Round count is approx 700 currently.

Last edited:
To the O.P. You have mentioned M1A a few times . I have owned a springfield armory loaded model for about 10 years . They come with their own issue's . first off they are not a precision rifle , they are a battle rifle so don't be expecting sub-mod groups . Shooting federal 150 grain ball ammo about the best I can do is 2 moa , If I hunker down over the reloading bench I can get 1 moa at best with 168 grain amax but more than likely I am running 1.5 moa . The next thing is it's a pig and 22 inches long . plus the cost of a loaded model is pushing 1,900.00 and they quit making the national match so you're going to be way over your budget by the time you get any where close having an accurate rifle . I will never sell mine as it kill's what I shoot at and so far has been reliable as long as I do basic maintenance . You can get a very nice ar 10 for what you're going to have invested in an M1A .

To the O.P. You have mentioned M1A a few times . I have owned a springfield armory loaded model for about 10 years . They come with their own issue's . first off they are not a precision rifle , they are a battle rifle so don't be expecting sub-mod groups . Shooting federal 150 grain ball ammo about the best I can do is 2 moa , If I hunker down over the reloading bench I can get 1 moa at best with 168 grain amax but more than likely I am running 1.5 moa . The next thing is it's a pig and 22 inches long . plus the cost of a loaded model is pushing 1,900.00 and they quit making the national match so you're going to be way over your budget by the time you get any where close having an accurate rifle . I will never sell mine as it kill's what I shoot at and so far has been reliable as long as I do basic maintenance . You can get a very nice ar 10 for what you're going to have invested in an M1A .
Good advice. Springfield isn't the same company now. I've had several M1As over the years and sold them for different reasons. I purchased the 16" SOCOM a few years ago without handling one first. The forward rail clamps around the barrel and there goes the accuracy. I sold it within 6 months.

I think I have elected to try to the stag out. Guys can say what they want. Many have had good luck with aero stuff. So. Price is right. If I have to tune the gas System so be it.

Reactions: sparky702
Building a reliable & durable AR10 or AR308 is not nearly as easy as building a reliable AR15 because there's no AR10 or AR308 "Mil-Spec" standard like with AR15/m4 clones. Take a look at some of the parts compatibility issues in this thread:

That is the truth, the 308 I built took more than a few parts to be swapped out before I found a combination that worked. Most of the parts will technically fit into the weapon but I unfortunately found it doesn’t mean it will run well, 308’s are finicky bitches when it comes to everything working in harmony, allot like my ex wife. The M&P10 I bought has been 100% reliable and very accurate since I opened up the gas port a hair.

I went down the m1a rabbit hole for years, eventually mine was all done up in a mcmillan stock etc and shot very well but they’re big heavy funky rifles. Mine was about 15lbs 🤪

Building isn't that hard. Get a chamber and bolt that match, either both armalite or both dpms. Upper to lower compatibility needs to be considered but that's easy. Build on matched set and it's gtg.

I'm selling mine here on the hide and taking a big loss on it, probably because of threads like these they say only buy kac lmt or Seekins or don't bother.

Well I would take a loss if it would sell ....

I would take a chance on the ruger SFAR for a hobby/hunting rifle. Looked at one in a gun store it's really neat for 1000 bucks.
Yeah I looked hard at that the Stag and the sig 716. In the end I wanted a 18” barrel

I went down the m1a rabbit hole for years, eventually mine was all done up in a mcmillan stock etc and shot very well but they’re big heavy funky rifles. Mine was about 15lbs 🤪
Yep that they are . I enjoy Mine but I live in the ozarks so it's up the hill and down the hill and in spring and summer seeing any farther 50-75 yds is about it . feral hog's can be an issue so my M1A wears a 4 moa red dot for close encounters of the swine variety .

I'm in the minority, but after waiting 18 months for my SP10 to come in, dealing with the shipping guy at Seekins who threatened to give my rifle to the next person in line because my FFL apparently didn't get in touch with him in a timely manner, (I want to say it was less than 48 hours after trying to contact my FFL that i was told i had 24 hours to fix it or my rifle was hoping to the next person, never mind that I had to wait 18 fucking months), learning that what Seekins calls an "Arca" rail isn't anywhere close to being 1.5", and finally, having the Timney trigger fail less than 300 rounds in, I can't recommend Seekins or the SP10 to anyone.

Last edited:
I'm in the minority, but after waiting 18 months for my SP10 to come in, dealing with the shipping guy at Seekins who threatened to give my rifle to the next person in line because my FFL apparently didn't get in touch with him in a timely manner, (I want to say it was less than 48 hours after trying to contact my FFL that i was told i had 24 hours to fix it or my rifle was hoping to the next person, never mind that I had to wait 18 fucking months), learning that what Seekins calls an "Arca" rail isn't anywhere close to being 1.5", and finally, having the Timney trigger fail less than 300 rounds in, I can't recommend Seekins or the SP10 to anyone.

I bought a GAP-10 in 260. Spendy, but reliable and high quality. Great customer service too

Yep that they are . I enjoy Mine but I live in the ozarks so it's up the hill and down the hill and in spring and summer seeing any farther 50-75 yds is about it . feral hog's can be an issue so my M1A wears a 4 moa red dot for close encounters of the swine variety .

That's what I want to use my 716i for, shoot the ugly ass javelina ratpig things we have out here in Arizona.

I bought a GAP-10 in 260. Spendy, but reliable and high quality. Great customer service too
What irked me about my whole experience with Seekins, aside from the total lack of communication and everything else i experienced, is that I frequently saw great deals pop up on here for GAP10s or even SP10s. Yes, it was my fault for not canceling my order after 12 months, which was already 4 months longer than their reported lead times, but I passed on somewhere around 20 smoking deals in the PX. I remember one guy selling an SP10 in 6.5 for under $2k or a guy who sold a GAP10 for $2300

What irked me about my whole experience with Seekins, aside from the total lack of communication and everything else i experienced, is that I frequently saw great deals pop up on here for GAP10s or even SP10s. Yes, it was my fault for not canceling my order after 12 months, which was already 4 months longer than their reported lead times, but I passed on somewhere around 20 smoking deals in the PX. I remember one guy selling an SP10 in 6.5 for under $2k or a guy who sold a GAP10 for $2300
Yeah I think if I have to pay that much for a rifle, deal with shitty costumer service and wait thay long. It’s a deal breaker. Don’t care how good the rifle is.

you guys who order with no real end date are truly suckers. You've no one to blame but yourself, just like the v1 fiasco with LMT. dopes

oh and seekins suck,

I used an Aero upper and lower with a Wilson Combat barrel and it seems to shoot just fine. @$1600 for the whole thing.

Had a few trips to the range to test out the stag. The gun is actually beautifully gassed with and without a suppressor. Throws all the brass in a nice pile at about 3 o clock. Trigger is pretty decent, a reasonably predictable 2 stage. Shoots about 2” groups with m80 ball. Norma match maybe 1.5”, hornaday 168s under 41.5 gr of imr4895 shot about .8 of a inch give or take. Perfectly accurate enough for what I will do with the rifle . For the price I think it’s pretty much a steel. My only complaint is that maybe the barrel profile is a little much haha. Makes the rig a little
On the overly heavy side. Defiantly not a backpack rig even with a 18” barrel. Still a lot of fun and seems to be perfectly dependable. Time will tell I suppose. But I don’t regret it.
IMG_0124.jpeg