• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Best AR .308 trigger

Snakedriver

Private
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2013
Hello,
I need some help figuring out what the best trigger would be to buy. Bought a DPMS .308 Recon last year with the 16 inch stainless barrel. Wanted a long range nail-driver so I decided to buy a completely separate upper/ 24 inch barrel, etc to make a long range sniper. Since then I've decided to get a whole 'nother lower receiver so I can have two separate rifles all-together. I'm going to just buy a stripped lower since I have the left-over parts from the Recon for a mid-range 16 inch rifle but I want to put a quality two stage trigger in the long-range platform as well but I don't know what to go with.

Geiselle is probably the most popular that I've heard of and I was going to go with that but I wanted to get some input from those of you who are well versed in long-range accuracy. Plus, Geiselle is a bit on the expensive side, and b4 you say it...yes, I know you get what you pay for but can you guys give me your recommendations and maybe a few pros and cons of the ones you recommend that might not be quite as expensive...maybe more in the 125-200 price-range. I'm ultimately looking for a trigger that will help me reach out to 1000+ meters. Yes, I know that is to be determined by myself as a shooter mostly but any and all recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Regards.

If you want to save a few bucks and have a very reliable darned good trigger, contact Bill Springfield at Bill Springfield - www.TriggerWork.net. Bill does very good work on your trigger or you can buy triggers he worked. If you already have old triggers to send, for less than the cost of the cheapest aftermarket, you can have the triggers in BOTH your rifles done.

Geissele Hi-Speed Match, incredibly fast lock time (4ms), adjustable, and reliable. For long range accuracy you definitely should look at two stage triggers. If you are patient, you can find a good sale on these for around $250.

Bo

Very pleased with the ar gold but I have not put many rounds through it. Really like the mechanics.

I tried Bill's triggers. Not too bad. But ultimately, you are better off savings just a little bit longer and buying the Giessele. Iwish I would have done this.

I have tried them all...Timney, AR Gold, Jard, Jewell, Wilson Combat and Geissele. If you want a single stage trigger then Timney is my pick. If you want the best two stage with consistent pull, reset and overall quality then Geissele all the way. I'm a 2 stage guy and my AR's now only sport SSA-E's. Trigger pull heaven and worth every penny. Sure the DMR, 3-Gun and other models are great and offer different weights and lock times but for a long range precision AR the SSA-E is the one you want. FWIW

There is one nice thing about the Jewell - the first stage weight is easily adjustable without removing the trigger. I've heard reports of problems due to the Jewell's light hammer spring, but haven't had any trouble with mine. I've also heard they've corrected that problem, but since Jewell doesn't have a website, getting info is a little more challenging (Come on Jewell! It's 2013!). In any case the Jewell feels 99% as good as the Geissele, but the Geissele is put together a little better in my view and very well supported, which is why I switched to them.

geiselle ,Wilson combat 3Gin high end but ALG ACT (made by geiselle) with JP yellow spring damn nice and you save over $200

For those on a budget I've got the rock river national match two stage and like it very much. It's no SSA-E but then again its substantially cheaper. I'd bet you could shoot to 1k with it easily.

Geissele SSA trigger

I have tried them all...Timney, AR Gold, Jard, Jewell, Wilson Combat and Geissele. If you want a single stage trigger then Timney is my pick. If you want the best two stage with consistent pull, reset and overall quality then Geissele all the way. I'm a 2 stage guy and my AR's now only sport SSA-E's. Trigger pull heaven and worth every penny. Sure the DMR, 3-Gun and other models are great and offer different weights and lock times but for a long range precision AR the SSA-E is the one you want. FWIW

I have the Geissele SSA trigger in my new AR15/ 6.5 Grendel, and it seems fine for rapid fire use. However, I would prefer a trigger with a shorter/very little travel on the second stage and quick reset . Also, would like for the trigger to be fully adjustable in first and second stages. As I am not using the rifle for combat type action, but rather coyote/deer hunting, which of the Geissele/other triggers would you recommend?

I have the Geissele SSA trigger in my new AR15/ 6.5 Grendel, and it seems fine for rapid fire use. However, I would prefer a trigger with a shorter/very little travel on the second stage and quick reset . Also, would like for the trigger to be fully adjustable in first and second stages. As I am not using the rifle for combat type action, but rather coyote/deer hunting, which of the Geissele/other triggers would you recommend?

I maybe out of date on this, but I believe the only trigger on the market that lets you adjust the first stage without removing it from the rifle and bending a spring is the Jewell.

Ive got a ssa-e and a hogan gold.

Both are incredible crisp and very enjoyable to shoot. I cant comment much on other triggers but these 2 I know you couldnt go wrong with either.

Geissele is the way to go. I've installed and used most of the popular triggers. The DMR, SSA-E ... all of them...are worth the money and the wait if they don't have them. Nobody can hand tune a trigger better than these.

I'm partial to the Wilson Combat I installed in my .308 AR. Short first stage, light, crisp release second stage, short reset. Don't know if it's the best, but certainly pleased with my decision.

I hope I'm not too late on this, but a tremendous deal is getting the Geissele DMR/ Match/ CMP trigger through Rainer Arms, for the price of one trigger, you get the trigger and all three springs so you can basically have all three triggers for the price of one trigger. I picked one up through them recently, still waiting on my receivers to try out the trigger, but I have a SSA that I absolutely love as well.

If you want to save a few bucks and have a very reliable darned good trigger, contact Bill Springfield at Bill Springfield - www.TriggerWork.net. Bill does very good work on your trigger or you can buy triggers he worked. If you already have old triggers to send, for less than the cost of the cheapest aftermarket, you can have the triggers in BOTH your rifles done.

I have had a few rifles with Bills work brought to me for trigger repairs. 3 rifles would double and two of them just had mush for a pull. I don't fault Bills work and on FAL's and HK Style triggers he does a nice job.
I think the issue is the factory components he started with or he just stoned them too much and got through the case hardening.
Either way the triggers did not last.

Spend the money and do it right for a quality, dedicated aftermarket trigger.

I have had a few rifles with Bills work brought to me for trigger repairs. 3 rifles would double and two of them just had mush for a pull. I don't fault Bills work and on FAL's and HK Style triggers he does a nice job.
I think the issue is the factory components he started with or he just stoned them too much and got through the case hardening.

You don't even have to spend the money. If you're cheap or on a budget, Geissele has these factory-like triggers, but sold through a different company for some reason (I suspect it has to do with government contracting): ALG Defense - where triggers with tradition, value and regulatory concerns are of primary importance

I have a Timney drop in 4 lb. I haven't put any rounds through it yet, but I don't like it. I think I'd go with a Wilson Combat next time.

Same here. He can make a trigger feel great, but it will soon have functioning issues or go mushy.

geiselle ,Wilson combat 3Gin high end but ALG ACT (made by geiselle) with JP yellow spring damn nice and you save over $200

Get the ALG until you're ready to spend the money, and then get a Geissele SSA-E or SD-E. I like the JP trigger for a single stage, but it has to be set up by someone who knows what they're doing. I've owned the Geissele 3 gun trigger, don't mess with that on a precision rifle. I thought I'd love it on a 3 gun rifle, I hated it, particularly on precision shots.

I have each Geiseslle model (hi power, SSA, SG3, SDC), as well as a Wilson Combat TTU-Mil. I like them all for their specific applications. I find the Wilson TTU-Mil to be an excellent longer range postion shooting trigger- ie, I'm in a kneeling position. I like the Geisselle SDC (its an SSA with a flat trigger bow) for general purpose use.

If I am not shooting a match or some sort of qual, I typically shoot CSAT standards to train. The kneeling stages are where the TTU earns its keep.