• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best AR Platform for the $

hotsunTX

Private
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2011
North Texas
I am looking to buy my first AR setup:

What is the best route to go?

My priority list looks like this...

Reliability
Functionality
Easy to find parts and they don't eat your wallet

I am looking to spend in the neighborhood of $1100

Optics would be great in that budget, but I don't really have a good feel for what things go for in the AR space.

All help will be appreciated.

HotsunTX

Re: Best AR Platform for the $

Get a used colt 6920 somewhere

/thread

If you want optics in that price I would recommend getting a used rifle. A decent quality new AR is going to run you around $1000-$1200.

Fair enough. Where does decent quality begin and who should be avoided?

Are there any hidden gems out there?

Or - If looking at the used route, what would I want?

HotsunTX

RRA is a fairly good for a first AR, good quality, good prices. The biggest problem is that right now a lot of the budget price product is on a long back order due to our nations best gun salesman, Mr Obama.

I'm seeing a couple of armalites out there in the 900-950 range. Also got some hits on the RRA LAR15's in that range, too.

+1 on the 'situation' in D.C.

HotsunTX

Colt 6920 or a build a BCM upper on a Palmetto State Armory lower.

$950-1000 will buy you a brand new Colt 6920, assuming you can find one in stock. I don't see the point of going PSA, Armalite, or RRA if you can find the 6920 at that around the $1000 mark. You're not going to be able to get a great AR and great optics for $1100. You'll simply have to save a little longer to put some glass on the gun.

If you're looking for similarly-rugged rifles which are considered top tier by the hard-use AR guys, look into Daniel Defense, Lewis Machine & Tool, and Bravo Company. The basic models comparable to the 6920 are closer to $1000 but the fancier ones start at $1500 and go up from there. If you're already familiar with the AR platform and know you want to add/change stuff to the basic AR, then it will be cheaper to save a while longer and buy a factory AR in a configuration you want.

Here you go, $995
http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/CO6920.aspx

Or give Grant a call at G&R. $965 listed out of stock, but he might have one floating around
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=6920

This sounds like a solid foundation to narrow the search. Many thanks.

HotsunTX

Look for a Spikes Tactical LE for under $800. With the Aimpoint Patrol palmetto state places on their rifle it will be the same ballpark. Palmetto is using hammerforged FN barrels on many of their builds and kits. Great value. Get a good platform now...shoot the irons (you said first AR...this is a must)...and get the optic you want at a later time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WILongRange</div><div class="ubbcode-body">RRA is a fairly good for a first AR, good quality, good prices. The biggest problem is that right now a lot of the budget price product is on a long back order due to our nations best gun salesman, Mr Obama. </div></div>

+1 for RRA
only negative...long lead time

Stag arms and windham armory should be looked at also. Windham is owned by the former owner of bushmaster

For that price BCM or maybe even the new colt m4 6920 although I hate their nanny lowers.

Go with the Colt, save for an Aimpoint M4s.

If you decide to sell in the future, Colt/Aimpoint are well recognized names.

Good luck.

One's first AR should be a S&W .22 Long Rifle. Evolve from there but keep it for training fundamentals using less expensive ammunition.

Colt, BCM, LMT, Daniel Defense would be the ones that I recommend.
I would not recommend RRA as they are known for loose gas keys, lock titing the receiver extensions, and not having true 5.56 chambers.

I'd check out YHM as well. Not many fanboy's on the forums but they build a nice rifle.

Not trying to hijack, but what is in a Colt that is not in other quality brands or a home built rifle? I've shot an A4 style Colt but that's it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete Sake</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not trying to hijack, but what is in a Colt that is not in other quality brands or a home built rifle? I've shot an A4 style Colt but that's it.

</div></div>

The Colt 6920 is basically the military M4 without the happy switch. They can take thousands and thousands of rounds most of the time before any parts faliure. This is because of the type of metals they use and the testing with proof rounds prior to leaving the factory and the QC to meet government specs. The government buys them because they work reasonably well. The army has tested many alternatives to the M4 and so far its still the overall best option for them.

LMT is in the same boat with their standard model. Those would be my two picks for a first AR.

I agree with all of the names thrown out so far. Bushmaster and dpms are also good.

The two-stage match triggers on some rock river arms and bushmaster models are the best stock option triggers out there in your price range.

Stock colt triggers are garbage! My bushmaster varminter ss special is still shooting consistently around .75 moa with over 4000 rounds down the tube! My only complaint is this rifle does not use a standard upper receiver - the bolt locking lugs and feed ramps are built into the receiver rather than the barrel. I will probably build an entirely new upper once the barrel is shot out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Re25</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete Sake</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not trying to hijack, but what is in a Colt that is not in other quality brands or a home built rifle? I've shot an A4 style Colt but that's it.

</div></div>

This is because of the type of metals they use </div></div>

Can you expand on this. I haven't really heard about any company that is plagued with parts failures. I realize there are companies with looser quality standards but their guns still run.

I am also looking into my first AR 15. I am looking at the Colt LE6920 for anout 1k and the Smith & Wesson M&P 15T which seems to have much more than the colt for the same price. It also just looks bad as_

29100.jpg

Mossberg MMR is less than $700, or 50% less than a Colt.

Take a look at the MMR, and ask yourself if the Colt is REALLY worth the premium.

Another vote for the PSA Patrol kit. For your price you get a complete rifle and an Aimpoint optic. Hard to beat staing in budget and getting a complete rifle and quality optic.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BCM upper and build a lower.. </div></div>

^^^THIS! Do yourself a favor and get started on the right foot: BCM = Mil-Spec quality or better for a price equal to or just slightly more than much lesser manufacturers: Properly staked full-auto BCG, HPT/MPI individually tested barrels (not batch testing ala' the tier 3 manufacturers)...etc. etc. Check them out for yourself: BCM - Upper Receiver Groups

Strongly recommend you avoid tier 3 (RRA, Bushmaster, DPMS...) Some here will swear they're just fine but there's just no reason to settle for their hit-or-miss QC when you can buy BCM at or <span style="font-style: italic">very</span> near the same price. (just my .02, of course
wink.gif
)

EDIT: If you are serious about buying I'd act quickly if I were you. It looks to me like we are entering another election year price run-up. BCM Uppers have gone up $20.00 from last week and my usual source for stripped uppers and lowers (Aero Precision) has also raised prices by about $20.00 since my last order a few months back. <span style="font-style: italic">DAMMIT!</span> I knew I should've purchased that M4 upper I had my eye on last week...
frown.gif

Buy a quality gun the first time around its money we'll spent. Knights colt lmt Daniel defense noveske lwrc Something along those lines the little mom and pop shop lowers maybe cheap but I have a pile of them at the shop that are absolutely useless because tolerances werent correct when they were machined

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Guy Montag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Take a look at the MMR, and ask yourself if the Colt is REALLY worth the premium.
</div></div>
Are you effing serious? Colt 6920 can be had for about 1000. Less if you shop around. While you are in an AWB state, and this is more appealing to you, there is no way I would pick it over Colt.
I would strongly recommend reading all of the threads from M4Carbine.net - KB to get educated.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: plong</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BCM upper and build a lower.. </div></div>

^^^THIS! Do yourself a favor and get started on the right foot: BCM = Mil-Spec quality or better for a price equal to or just slightly more than much lesser manufacturers: Properly staked full-auto BCG, HPT/MPI individually tested barrels (not batch testing ala' the tier 3 manufacturers)...etc. etc. Check them out for yourself: BCM - Upper Receiver Groups

Strongly recommend you avoid tier 3 (RRA, Bushmaster, DPMS...) Some here will swear they're just fine but there's just no reason to settle for their hit-or-miss QC when you can buy BCM at or <span style="font-style: italic">very</span> near the same price. (just my .02, of course
wink.gif
)

EDIT: If you are serious about buying I'd act quickly if I were you. It looks to me like we are entering another election year price run-up. BCM Uppers have gone up $20.00 from last week and my usual source for stripped uppers and lowers (Aero Precision) has also raised prices by about $20.00 since my last order a few months back. <span style="font-style: italic">DAMMIT!</span> I knew I should've purchased that M4 upper I had my eye on last week...
frown.gif
</div></div>

Best advice yet. That Mossberg may be the ugliest AR Ive ever seen. I wouldn't take one if was free and came with a BJ.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Andy T</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Guy Montag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>
Are you effing serious? Colt 6920 can be had for about 1000. Less if you shop around. While you are in an AWB state, and this is more appealing to you, there is no way I would pick it over Colt.
I would strongly recommend reading all of the threads from M4Carbine.net - KB to get educated. </div></div>

I am serious, you're paying a $400 PREMIUM for the Colt.

There's a helluva lot better ways to drop a grand on an AR than a Colt IMO.

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but you seem to think the Mossberg is junk, it's NOT.

Is it a GAP, Noveske or POF, obviously not.

The question asked was "Best AR Platform for the $"

Given the budget, with the MMR the OP can buy an optic, ammo, etc...

Your route leaves him with a lot of other needs for his rig.

Are you a Savage hater as well?
wink.gif

I have yet to see anyone mention Del Ton Inc. aka DTI. I have an entirely stock DTI upper and the lower is a bushmaster, and it is flawless. It will take any ammo, its .5 MOA accurate, and is consistent out to 600m (haven't shot it farther). Highly impressed, especially since i got it for $630. DTI is a must look.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Guy Montag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
There's a helluva lot better ways to drop a grand on an AR than a Colt IMO.

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but you seem to think the Mossberg is junk, it's NOT.

</div></div>

Im not much for signatures, but if I was this would be in it.

Mossberg is junk compared to milspec rifles.

Colt,DD, BCM.

Its a much better idea to buy a quality rifle and get optics later than to get an iffy rifle and good optics now.

Have you seen an MMR yourself, honest answer?

It's not junk, nor is it mil spec, but it's WELL worth the asking price.

The $400+ premium for a Colt is hardly well spent money IMO.

Am I replacing my Noveske with a Mossberg? No.

If I were on a budget, I would look at the MMR, regardless of the Haters.
wink.gif

I use both colt and stag (and other) names

I must say colt does nothing in my view different than any other manufactuter.

I have a stag and it works just as good as any other AR. including my M4 that has seen it's share of abuse from me and it's previous owners.

Pete Sake, there is a lot of information on the Colt and the differance in metals and procedures at www.M4carbine.net. but to sum it up here are some of the differences. The type and quality of the barrel steel being ORD4150-Resulferized,Chrome-Moly-Vanadium (CMV)and such as the quality of bolt steel being Carpenter 158 ordanance steel.

Now all you have to ask yourself is the rifle milspec or does it have a mil-spec coating, is the bolt carrier group mil-spec or does it have mil-spec dimensions only. This question has to be raised through out the build. Now <span style="text-decoration: underline">BCM and many top companies have closed the gap</span> But they are the ones that have all based their products off of true or better than Mil-Spec.

Colt in my opinion holds AR value better I just sold one that I had for 12 years and got the same out of it as I paid for it. The new Colts Come with M4 markings for the cool factor win.

You will find many guns work fine if you casually shoot them or even run them hard for a few mags, but when you run 1000 rounds through them in single training sessions youll see what I mean.

You can save some money by buying a LMT, BCM or other Lower and Upper seperatly and do a run around on the exise tax.

check out CORE 15. it's a newer company, It comes with a lot of Magpul accessories an is a nice gun. shot one this weekend and is was just as good as my RRA. I'm thinkng of getting one now. Prices are low now but are expected to rise.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EagleSout</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=358
http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=124

you can build an LMT from rainier arms for less than 900 and still have plenty $ left to buy a Eotech or Aimpoint.</div></div>

you would still need a BCG and rear sight in this scenerio, but I agree. I like LMT or BCM. Either can be had within your budget.

I used to suggest building and by that I mean pinning an upper and lower together, lowers can be had fairly cheap and the components in them rarely fail, spend your money on the upper, the barrel and everything touching it is what matters to accuracy. My M4gery consists of a RRA lower and a Model1 upper, shoots some loads sub MOA, most are milspec groupings, which is lousy, it was affordable and got me an AR, at about the 4500 round mark the bolt failed, that's been the only failure, so I would suggest getting an MP inspected bolt dropping it in, inspecting it often, and carrying a spare.
However as so many manufacturers are putting out ARs for less than 1k I believe I'd buy one.
Things my first taught me: 1-9 twists are worthless, get a 1-8/1-7 so you can shoot practically any weight with reasonable hope of accuracy. Get a 5.56 or Wylde chamber. If you get a 16" barrel get a midlength or piston gas system.

Colt 6920 is the best starting point.

A Daniel Defense is also quality.

If you think $900 is way too much for a complete in-spec carbine, I'd advise you to build a lower from CMT, no matter which stamp is on it, and buy a complete upper receiver group from BCM.

I use colt 6920 for work and have recently purchased a Spikes ST15 midlength (aimsuplus.com $770 shipped). The fit and finish on the Spikes is superior to the Colt imho but all of the important things are manufactured to the same mil-specs as the Colt. I don't think you can find a superior product for less than the Spikes, they seem to be the lowest priced tier 1 (mil-spec) guns going.

For a little more you can move up to the Ruger 556.You don't have to do anything to them out of the box.

Do your homework and you can buy a Colt for under your budget. You know exactly what you have, will see it on the backside if you sell it.

DD, Noveske, LMT, S&W all gtg.

Don't buy someone else's Franken AR.

Good luck.

What does a Ruger have that Colt 6920 or other DI AR lacks?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: leprechaun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For a little more you can move up to the Ruger 556.You don't have to do anything to them out of the box. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MM1776</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EagleSout</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=358
http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=124

you can build an LMT from rainier arms for less than 900 and still have plenty $ left to buy a Eotech or Aimpoint.</div></div>

you would still need a BCG and rear sight in this scenerio, but I agree. I like LMT or BCM. Either can be had within your budget. </div></div>

haha, i was thinking about this post I made all day and all that kept going through my mind was "yeah but he wont have a BCG!"

hehe, thanks for covering me
wink.gif