• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Ballistic software?

Re: Best Ballistic software?

You may want to check the operating system of your Palm unit. Most software will require some form of window mobile 5 or 6, or of the equivalence.

I have the Exabal. It serves me quite well. Thinking of getting FFS Delta IV.

Do you have exabal on a palm or on something else? How close does it get you to being on target?
First shot hit or just close?
My cell phone has windows mobile 6 on it.

Ill check out FFS delta IV. I want to get the best now so i dont have to buy another program later.

I've vetted FFS solutions out to 2000m to +/- .1 mil, which is about as close as one can hold. That said, other software will produce equally good solutions, it just seems to require more effort to get them calibrated properly.

FFS lets you compensate for scope error directly, plus it will compute a new DK (deceleration constant) from actual drop data to custom tailor your curve to your ammo/gun combo. No other package does this. With other software, you tweak the BC and or velocity until the results match what you dialed, which is suspect in any event unless you've calibrated your scope and know exactly what you really dialed on. Then you are still left with adjusting the results to deal with any scope error.

Exbal runs fine on a Palm Pilot.

http://www.perry-systems.com

Field Firing Solutions will not run on a Palm Pilot - it requires a Windows Mobile OS.

Exbal works very well, especially if you use a corrected G1 BC from Bryan Litz's book.

http://www.appliedballisticsllc.com/index_files/Book.htm

If you have a good muzzle velocity, and correct the BC to get the Exbal solution to match your long-distance dope, Exbal works very well.

A useful reference is Sources of Ballistic Program Inaccuracies.

I don't know what FFS is going to do, But Micrsoft has announced a total new OS for mobile devices and it is not backward compatable with any of the old applications. In otherwords they have said that any windows app that now works on a windows mobile devise will not work on the new deviceses with the new OS.

Scott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shadowlid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you have exabal on a palm or on something else? How close does it get you to being on target?
<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">First shot hit or just close?</span></span>My cell phone has windows mobile 6 on it.

Ill check out FFS delta IV. I want to get the best now so i dont have to buy another program later. </div></div>

Since I started using it which was recently, my first shot hit is almost 100%. This is at distance 900, 1000, 1200. My target size, BTW is about 1.5 MOA. Like I said, I am very happy with it. Now, the max distance is 2K only on Exbal. If you want to run the Chey Tac system, be it 375, or 408 then you are going to need something else.

remember also that Exbal (Handheld version ony) is about $70, whereas the FFS Delta IV is $300+. That's the only reason why I am holding back right now.

With reference to LoadBase 3.0, (LB3.0)

LoadBase 3.0 @ Patagonia Ballistics Website

It runs on Windows Mobile (WM)
WM 2003 SE <span style="font-weight: bold">to</span> WM 6.X

1) You get both, PC and PDA and PHONES.
2) Price for the suite is $ 148.50
3) Syncs data between PC and Mobile device (PDA or PHONE)

The new OS from Microsoft for Mobile devices is called “Windows Phone 7 Series” and was just announced 2 weeks ago.

Details on development will be unveiled next week.

LB3M will be ported to that platform, when tools are available.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eaglet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With reference to LoadBase 3.0, (LB3.0)

</div></div>

Cool, If it will be rewritten for Windows mobile 7 then I will keep it in mind for my next phone.

Scott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shadowlid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cool i think exbal will work just fine. And ill try the freeware version til i get exbal.

Thanks all for the information. </div></div>

Just be aware that Exbal will not allow you to use the more accurate G7 drag based ballistic coefficient which much better predicts accurate velocities down range. This is important because it'll give you more precisely info for you to know at what distance your bullet is going subsonic, and not to mention your drop tables will make life easier for you.

The "Applied Ballistics For Long Range Shooting" book from Bryan Litz gives you a load of measured BC's including the BC7 for many different bullets. This is a very good Thing!

Search about LoadBase 3.0, you'll be surprised what it does for the long range shooter.

LB3 ballistic Program @ Patagonia Ballistics

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3gunF1guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eaglet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With reference to LoadBase 3.0, (LB3.0)

</div></div>

Cool, If it will be rewritten for Windows mobile 7 then I will keep it in mind for my next phone.

Scott </div></div>I will as well!

Berger ballistics works good and works in G7 and G1 and I belive it will work on most phones too.

A little off topic, but how does the free JBM program on the internet compare to the dedicated software mentioned above?

If good enough, I suppose you could use it via a smartphone, although of course that is limited to areas with a decent signal.

If you can get to JBM, use it. It's the gold standard for ballistics programs. I don't bother to run a program on a P.C. any more, because I can almost always use JBM.

When I can't, I use the Berger program linked above, with Bryan Litz's G7 BCs. See:

Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting

However, the PDA program I use in the field has some capabilities that no P.C. based program has:

http://www.precisionworkbench.com/field.html

I have heard alot about "Applied Ballistics" book. I belive I will order myself a copy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sierra Infinity is a good program.

It runs only on a P.C. Some like to have a program running in the field.

For example, consider the capabilities of Field Firing Solutions:

http://www.precisionworkbench.com/field.html
</div></div>
I bought FFS IV two weeks ago

I think it is one of the best ballistic programs on the market.
You can ceck if the Chrono gives you a proper speed,you can compute a new DK...and many other tricks.
How many others can do?
cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SAS_Sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sierra Infinity v6 is not good? </div></div>

Ehi J.P.

Sierra V 6 is a good ballistic program but FFS is better and you can use it on the fields with a good pda.

P.s Come back soon, so we make a day on long distances
smile.gif