• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Best bang for my buck riflescope

Mcarnell82

Private
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2010
Sikeston MO
Up to $850. My thoughts are =nikon monarch x tactical 4-16x50; elite 4200 tactical; weaver Tactical 4-20x50;burris tac30. I want a really good scope but cant spend more than 850. I'm sure any of the mentioned scopes will fit my needs but i want to get the best for my budget. Good glass, tracks good and will hold up well. If you own one of these please give me your honest thoughts on these scopes. Will be mounted on a 308 rem700, shooting will be out to 600-800yrds.

Re: Best bang for my buck riflescope

I would sit tight for just a bit and see how the Vortex PSTs pan out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would sit tight for just a bit and see how the Vortex PSTs pan out. </div></div>

+1 Only scope I found with matching MOA reticle and turrets, 50mm Obj, FFP, Illum. at/under $900. I got the Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP, so if you can wait a couple months until the dust settles and they become avaiable, it could be an interesting choice for you.

I would not rule out a Super Sniper either. They have been the Go To Scope for those with a tite budget for several years.
I would go with either a 16 or 20 power. I have both. They retain their value pretty well also. New they are $300, and used they are normally $250. I would get the Sun Shade and Butler creek caps on the order with the scope. The Super Sniper is a Round Dot Mil Dot scope with rear paralex adjustment. They track well with big well marked knobs that have large allen screws for adjustment. They are 30mm, have lots of adjustment, and are very tough. While they are not as nice a scope as a Leupold MK IV M1 16X, they do not cost $1600 either.
If you would like to get behind one and look through it on a rifle, let me know and I will bring one with me to the range next time you come up.
We have 2 Multi Range F Class Matches coming up, 18 July and the 1 August Money Shoot.
We have some shooters from Sikeston coming to Big Piney to shoot with up, I figure you are one of them. I am Club President, so you probably know me already.

What mag do you want? I just picked up a Sightron SIII 6-24x50 and am hugely impressed with it. Glass beats Nikon in my opinion, I don't have any Bushnell to compare to...

IOR VALDADA 16x fixed scope. $810. Side focus, 30mm tube, STEEL TUBE, MP-8 Reticle, GREAT ALL ROUND. Wont be able to beat it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Viper225</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would not rule out a Super Sniper either. They have been the Go To Scope for those with a tite budget for several years.
I would go with either a 16 or 20 power. I have both. They retain their value pretty well also. New they are $300, and used they are normally $250. I would get the Sun Shade and Butler creek caps on the order with the scope. The Super Sniper is a Round Dot Mil Dot scope with rear paralex adjustment. They track well with big well marked knobs that have large allen screws for adjustment. They are 30mm, have lots of adjustment, and are very tough. While they are not as nice a scope as a Leupold MK IV M1 16X, they do not cost $1600 either.
If you would like to get behind one and look through it on a rifle, let me know and I will bring one with me to the range next time you come up.
We have 2 Multi Range F Class Matches coming up, 18 July and the 1 August Money Shoot.
We have some shooters from Sikeston coming to Big Piney to shoot with up, I figure you are one of them. I am Club President, so you probably know me already. </div></div>

I have given the swfa ss a thought but i was kinda wanting variable power. I have not yet been to Big Piney or really thought about shooting in a match....yet. I will try to make it to one soon, it seems like a lot of fun. If i can make it up there i'll send you a pm and see if you would bring one to look through. Thanks

I just bought one of these, SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope, should be here Tuesday. My highest end riflescope is a Mark 4 and I have another 2 Leos, I will let you know what I find. From what I have read, these scopes really are amazing for the dollars in cost.

Best bang for the buck has to be the Bushnell 4200 3-12 FFP.

Good glass and dependable.

Another vote for the 16X IOR. I've been looking around for a used one for a couple weeks.

Is anyone happy with the monarch x tactical, i almost talked myself into this one but i wanted to see what others thought first. I hate not being able to look through a scope before buying so thats why i am having such a hard time.

super sniper 3-9 i love mine i just wish they would make a 4-16 with that hd glass at around 1000 bucks....man that would be sweet

It seems everyone is a big fan of vortex and sightron, i had never considered these as top picks in my price range. I will look into them but to me its like picking a Hyundai over a Honda. The Hyundai may be a better car for the money but its not a brand name I am comfortable buying. Atleast i could test drive one before making my decision. Are there any dealers on here that would exchange one if i wasnt happy with it for a different scope?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jroberts</div><div class="ubbcode-body">super sniper 3-9 i love mine i just wish they would make a 4-16 with that hd glass at around 1000 bucks....man that would be sweet </div></div>
i wonder if that is something we will see in the future? I believe that would fit my needs/wants perfectly

Get a Sightron. I know a few people shooting them in long range comps that are getting very good results with them.

Had the Sightron and sold it. Zeiss conquest 4.5-14 or the 6.5x20 with mildots is an excellent scope to fit your budget.

I have used the 4.5-14 at 1k matches with excellent results.

Find a sale on the Zeiss conquest 6.5-20x50 with target turrets. I paid $800 for mine new. I think it would be tough to beat. Mine tracks excellent.

You should check the Sample List at SWFA, they have all these scopes that are being reccomended. A used Zeiss Conquest in this price range would be a good choice.

I too would vote for the Zeiss conquest. Though it doesn't have an abundance of elevation, and it's not FFP, it meets all your requirements and has excellent optics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pistolpete75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Best bang for the buck has to be the Bushnell 4200 3-12 FFP.

Good glass and dependable. </div></div>

The best scope I've ever used for the money!!!

Steve

To narrow down the reccomendations, what type of shooting are you doing, target, hunting, or sniper type competitions?

Bush 4200 3-12 tactical is a really great scope. I love mine, but depending on the size of your targets, you may want a little more magnification.

IOR 10 X 56, I'm on my 3rd one now.

Bought used they can be found for less than your price point.

I use one on my 50BMG with zero issues to date, 100MOA elevation, 4" eye relief, etc...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ando</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To narrow down the reccomendations, what type of shooting are you doing, target, hunting, or sniper type competitions?

Bush 4200 3-12 tactical is a really great scope. I love mine, but depending on the size of your targets, you may want a little more magnification. </div></div>

mostly target but i dont want a scope that would be tough to hunt with. I may also get into some matches but that wont be any time soon