• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Best Bang for My Buck?

Rhyno37

Private
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2012
In the near future, I will be purchasing some type of .223 rifle (Most Likely a Savage 10/Stevens 200) and need some glass to put on top of it. I will be target shooting for the most part, on a very rare occasion maybe a yote or two. shooting anywhere from 50-300 yards (longest range around is 300 yds, there are some nearby fields I could shoot up to 500).

I would like to spend around $300. Reason being, I'll just take this scope and move it to my 10/22 when I can buy some high end glass like a NF or USO. The one scope I've looked at the most is the Bushnell Elite 3200 10x40. I've read high praises for just $225. My question is, would this scope be good for my range? 70% of my shots will be 200yds or less. Would 10x be too much? Would a variable power be better? I am open to all suggestions.

I thought about getting a SWFA 3-9x42, but it's $600 and if I did that it would stay as my primary optic for quite some time.

Re: Best Bang for My Buck?

I think 10x would be fine for 200, when you get inside 100 that when it becomes more of an issue! Certainly do able but not the best! If your wanting a fixed 10x Super Sniper makes a great one for $300.

It's not necessarily that I wanted a fixed 10x, its just I liked the price and reviews of the Bushnell which happened to be a 10x. Im open to anything.

I would go with something that is adjustable. If you are shooting a yote. Do not want too much power if it is close to you.

I have a 3200 10x40 mil/mil on a very similar rig and it has served me extremely well. I have drug it through pretty rough stuff and it has always stayed clear and tracked perfectly.

The matching adjustments and reticule are huge, and I haven't seen anything that compares in that price range. I would go for it and then you can use and find out exactly what you want in a high end scope.

Vortex Viper 6.5x20 for $279 from camerlandny. IMO, there is no better bang for the buck if it fits your requirement.

I have the Bushnell 3200 elite 10x mil/mil. If I knew what I know now I would have started with something with paralax adjustment. Espeially for a 22. I like fixed 10x scopes and will be switching to the new SWFA 10x mil/mil when it comes out or their 10x HD model. Haven't made up my mind yet.

The bushnell is a good scope, but I like the SS 10x a little better. But the bushy has never let us down. If you shoot the 10x enough you will get use to it fo rhunting

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Utah Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would go with something that is adjustable. If you are shooting a yote. Do not want too much power if it is close to you. </div></div>the same as me .
g.gif

I bought a Bushnell 10x to get my rifle up and running and have shot out to 600 yards with it. It is on sale at Midway USA for $200.00 usually. I have looked through the SS 10x and the glass is very nice. I do not feel that my money was wasted on the Bushnell.

You might also take a look at the Millett TRS-1. I have been happy with min and it is in your price range. There has been a recent review by a plice marksman that is pretty detailed. Not knocking the bushell though.
JH

Oh wow that weaver is very tempting. Does anyone have experience with it?

If you are thinking that you will put this on a 10\22 down the road, the 10X is not a good option. A rimfire scope with an AO focusing down to 10 yards is great but 50 yards is the minimum I would consider in a rimfire scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rhyno37</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh wow that weaver is very tempting. Does anyone have experience with it? </div></div>

Yup...have one on a Savage FV-SR and it is a very good optic.

Downside is that it doesn't have parallax adjustment...upside is its variable, so all you have to do is dial the magnification down a bit and the image focuses right up.

At 10x, the closest I really like to shoot mine is 25yd due to focus issues.

There is a 4-14x44 side focus BSA on Midway that is first focal and MIL mil and people say good things (customer reviews) so for $249 that might be a steal.

I've never been impressed by BSA, but then I've never seen a BSA with those features either.