• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK BEYOND 6 x 24 x 50 scope

lrgrendel

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 6, 2012
Sanford. FL
I have old eyes and shoot to a 1000 on occasions!!
Using a 6 x 24 x 50 but would like something more powerful.

Any suggestions.
Thanks

There are lots of good options,but I don't think for the money you can do much better than a Nightforce benchrest in 8x32 or 12x42. If you are patient ,you can find them used for $1100 and at that price you can always get your money back if you decide to sell it.

I have old eyes and shoot to a 1000 on occasions!!
Using a 6 x 24 x 50 but would like something more powerful.

Any suggestions.
Thanks

Any scope question like this is only answerable with a price budget in mind.

Generally, a 6-24x50 is a great form factor for long and ultra-long range shooting. I would venture a guess that you may not need more than 24x, but higher resolution...That is where Premier, S&B, Hensoldt, Kahles, etc shine. Resolution is king in long range and harsh mirage shooting conditions.

And, usually stepping up in magnification beyond these into bench rest scopes (which can be very very good) you will loose a lot of elevation adjustment on a lot of models. There are several ultra long range guys running 5-20x50 Razors out past a mile without issue. You will run out of elevation adjustment before lack of magnification is the issue, granted with very high resolution glass.

Whick 6-24x are you using now?

Any scope question like this is only answerable with a price budget in mind.

Generally, a 6-24x50 is a great form factor for long and ultra-long range shooting. I would venture a guess that you may not need more than 24x, but higher resolution...That is where Premier, S&B, Hensoldt, Kahles, etc shine. Resolution is king in long range and harsh mirage shooting condition.

And, usually stepping up in magnification beyond these into bench rest scopes (which can be very very good) you will loose a lot of elevation adjustment on a lot of models. There are several ultra long range guys running 5-20x50 Razors out past a mile without issue. You will run out of elevation adjustment before lack of magnification is the issue, granted with very high resolution glass.

Whick 6-24x are you using now?

Vortex PST.
THANKS.

You can get an SWFA 5-20x50mm used for a bit more than the Vortex PST FFP.

If you can find one, go with the SWFA, the glass is phenomenal.

It isn't about magnification, it's about resolving power. The SWFA will be worlds ahead of most anything in it's price range.

Vortex PST.
THANKS.

Cool, the PST is a great scope for its price. But as HK Dave said, the SS 5-20x50 would be a solid improvement in resolution, and is considered an awesome bang-for-the-buck for about $400 more than the new cost of the PST. The SS competes well with the Razor and Nightforce NXS. An IOR would be another to look at for a huge step up in resolution from the PST, and is probably the best glass under $2k. IOR 6-24x56 Tactical 35mm Rifle Scope

The Sightron SIII's are all really amazing for around $900-$1000 and the SFP Sightron 8-32x56 SIII 30mm Riflescope would be an improvement in resolution and also give higher magnification ability, but you will always be mirage-limited above 24x. There are also the new SIII FFP 6-24x50s out now too.

Bottom line, if you can afford the 2k price point; Razor, IOR, Nightforce. If $1300-$1500, the SS can't be beat. There may be some great deals on Razor coming up, as the new ones were recently announced.

Cool, the PST is a great scope for its price. But as HK Dave said, the SS 5-20x50 would be a solid improvement in resolution, and is considered an awesome bang-for-the-buck for about $400 more than the new cost of the PST. The SS competes well with the Razor and Nightforce NXS. An IOR would be another to look at for a huge step up in resolution from the PST, and is probably the best glass under $2k. IOR 6-24x56 Tactical 35mm Rifle Scope

The Sightron SIII's are all really amazing for around $900-$1000 and the SFP Sightron 8-32x56 SIII 30mm Riflescope would be an improvement in resolution and also give higher magnification ability, but you will always be mirage-limited above 24x. There are also the new SIII FFP 6-24x50s out now too.

Bottom line, if you can afford the 2k price point; Razor, IOR, Nightforce. If $1300-$1500, the SS can't be beat. There may be some great deals on Razor coming up, as the new ones were recently announced.

I appreciate it!