• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best barrel for first build?

Matt_3479

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2009
I am starting my first build hopefully shortly. I have got pretty much all the information i need. Only 2 things left to decide on is the barrel and weather or not to get a brake and which one.

I will be building a 300. win mag which is built off a blue printed 700 action in a McMillan A3. I want to keep this build relatively light. I was told to stay with a #4, #5 contour and if the weight isn't too much look into a Sendaro Contour as well. My other debate was the length. A lot of people said the 28" will get more velocity but i want it light and the 26" in other peoples eyes was perfect. Last question is, what barrel company? I spoke to Kevin a MCR and he suggest Brux barrels. I have heard some really good things about Brux barrels but there are a few others people suggested. 1 was kreiger barrels, Broughton barrels and hart barrels.

Which contour, #4, #5 or Sendaro?
What length 26" or 28"?
which company to go with? stick with Brux or maybe ask about Broughton or another company?

remember weight needs to stay pretty low as it will be a light weight tactical rifle hopefully around 11lbs maybe even 11.5 lbs

Re: Best barrel for first build?

I have a rifle nearly identical to the specs you listed above. I went with sendero contour krieger 10 twist cut at 25". It isn't an overly heavy rifle, especially compared to some of the more tactical geared rifles.

Barrel makers are more personal preference than anything among the top makers. I wouldn't hesitate to use any of the following: krieger, bartlein, rock, obermeyer, brux or broughton. As mentioned above check and see if bugholes has what you want, they carry a great stock of barrels.

If I were to choose between a 26" and 28" length I would go 26, especially if you're wanting to save some weight.

Krieger, Rock, Brux, Bartlein, Lilja, Broughton.....and the list goes on. As long as you get a top name then you will be fine.

Some prefer button rifled, some prefer single point cut. I like single cut so I chose Brux.

A +1 for bugholes. I have purchased two barrels from him and received them within the same week. He sales single point cut barrels from Obermeyer, Rock Creek, and Brux.

So far I've had good luck with Rock Creek and Shilen SS match select barrels.

kreiger mtu , if surgeon uses it, its gotta be a winner

Barrel contour? Can't add a thing to all above ^ ^ ^ ^ ^.

Barrel Manufacturers:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pusher591</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Krieger, Rock, Brux, Bartlein, Lilja, Broughton.....and the list goes on. As long as you get a top name then you will be fine.</div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: attherange</div><div class="ubbcode-body">benchmark or kreiger. </div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JFComfort</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So far I've had good luck with Rock Creek and Shilen SS match select barrels. </div></div>
As you can see, go with a reputable manufacturer and you can't go wrong. I have Rock and Bartlein - can't complain about either manufacturer. Go with one on your timetable for availability.

Brakes:
Try a search. I recall several threads about "best brake". They are like barrels - go with a reputable manufacturer. Who's building your rifle? Might ask him. I have a Vais - very effective, but "a bit dusty" shooting prone in the dirt. A good friend of mine here on the 'Hide swears by his APA. My only suggestion is do it with the build, not later as they need to be indexed. Get a thread protector while your at it.

Kevin

#5 or Sendero, 1:10 twist, any of the top manufacturers.

24-26"

Check out Third Generation Shooting Supply for components. They should have a few barrels, A3 Stocks in Stock!, etc.

If they don't have the right contour barrel check Bugholes on SH or Brunos...

My Kreiger MTU is a true 1/4 MOA barrel. 2000 rounds and still holds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: loper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Big fan of Lilja barrels, myself. You might consider the Palma contours, perticularly if you're interested in position shooting. Just my.02. </div></div>

Why would you suggest the Palma Contours? i dont know anything about this? Whats the difference between palma Contours vs what im looking at

Matt,

The Palma contours tend to step down pretty quickly, and the principle length of the barrel is thinner than most MTU or varmint profiles. Lighter, balanced a little farther back, and they don't give up a thing when it comes to accuracy.

Check out Lilja and Krieger's websites, they have drawings of the differant profiles, and a picture is worth a thousand words.

A couple of things to keep in mind: Palma barrels are available in "tight" 30 caliber bores. Skip that, that's for matches where you have to shoot issue ammo, which is sometimes a little sloppy.
Also, Palma barrels come in 30" length, and you probably don't want that much pipe. Cut it off, and crown it whatever length you want.

Just another option for you to consider.

All of the info above is good. All I can throw in is that if you go with a Krieger, I'd suggest the Heavy Varmint, rather than the MTU profile barrel (if you go for a heavy profile). The Heavy Varmint profile maintains the 1.25" diameter for 5" as opposed to the 2.5" for the MTU at the breach end. May not mean much now, but might make a difference when it's time to set the barrel back and have the chamber recut.

I have been very happy with my #5 brux 7mmRM. It's 28" including brake and I personally like the length but some may say it's a little long as a carry gun. If I plan on hiking a bunch I take my 270win, #4, fluted, 24.5" brux.

there all right. as long as you stay with the top brands youll be fine.my buddy just got the remage kit from mcree and did it all himself and his shoots great.

As said, as long as you stick with a quality barrel, you should be OK. What's more important is the guy that's going to cut the chamber and mount and headspace the barrel. Choose wisely.

24" 10 twist Medium Palma Bartlein would be a good choice to have a quality barrel and not be overly heavy.

As for stocks, you might look at the Manners 90% carbon fiber for a lighter stock.

As said there are many good choices, Bartlein,Kreiger, and Hart are ones I have owned and they all deliver excellent results. My local smith was exclusively using Broughton barrels and has recently switched to Brux. The other day we looked through a Brux with a borescope and the lapping was super smooth, almost zero tooling marks. When we looked through another "top shelf brand" it was definetly not as smooth as the Brux, which left me pretty impressed.

On my first bolt gun build I went with a Lilja. Mostly because the builder endorsed them and from the research I did they seemed to be great. I'm very happy with this barrel.

"Krieger, Rock, Brux, Bartlein, Lilja, Broughton.....and the list goes on. As long as you get a top name then you will be fine."
Pusher591

I agree with the above statement 100%. I've had a Krieger on an AR platform and have some friends that shoot Bartlein and Broughton. Can't go wrong with any of the above.

I would check with your builder to some are pretty particular about the brand they use. When I had mine built I was gonna go Shilen since I'm from Texas but the gunsmith refused to install one, so make sure before buying.

I like the Palma tapers myself, but sendero is also fine. I would stay away from MTU since weight is an issue, they are truck axles! Typically I am a cut rifle guy but my lilja's have been outstanding as well as my broughton. I have also used kreiger, brux, and bartlein. It really doesn't matter. You can get creative with twists, as well as land/groove profiles, but they have all shot fine for me. I am a fan of any brake that is side venting. Ground blast pisses me off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Special Delivery</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As said there are many good choices, Bartlein,Kreiger, and Hart are ones I have owned and they all deliver excellent results. My local smith was exclusively using Broughton barrels and has recently switched to Brux. The other day we looked through a Brux with a borescope and the lapping was super smooth, almost zero tooling marks. When we looked through another "top shelf brand" it was definetly not as smooth as the Brux, which left me pretty impressed. </div></div>

I experienced the same thing, that's why I also purchased a Brux
smile.gif

my first choice would be Broughton in a 5C rifling or Krieger.

good luck

Barrels: Krieger, Obermyer, Rock, Bartien, Chanlynn, Lilja

Contour: #6 fluted finish at 25-26" some go 1:10" twist some go 1:12" I have found that 1:11" twist is a good for bullets 180 - 210 gr in 300WM.

Good shooting ...