• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Best base for Sako trg 42

KFinnell81

Private
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2010
Rome, GA.
I am trying to figure out the best base to put on my sako trg 42. I have looked at sako's own base, warne, u.s. optics. I was wondering if anyone that has owned or heard of what base is the best and most secure. I have heard that that is one of the weak points in the sako. I don't want to have to worry about my base coming loose while I am shooting. Thanks for any comments!

Re: Best base for Sako trg 42

Kfactor,

Any of the bases you mentioned will function. If you don't want to worry about any of them "coming loose", I suggest you learn the correct way to put one on a TRG 42.

No base design can overcome installation "incompetence", not saying your incompetent of course.

Most bases come with a pretty complete instructions for installing same. The gunsmithing section here has oodles of info on correctly bedding your base to your rifle if your concern is in that area. Blue Loktite usually takes care of most screw issues.

Perhaps do a search on TRG 42's here on the Hide, and PM those users and ask what base they use, and how they attached it?

Snipers Hide search engine

The truth is out there, now go find it.

Bob

KFactor I have a trg 22 same setup as a 42. I HIGHLY recomend Richard Near at Near manfacturing!!! His bases and rings are top quality you will not find better. I have a 25 moa base on mine and the fit is unbeleveable, the recoil lugs on the base fit so perfectly in to the action you could feel them pushing air out of the holes (just a example of how percise). The fit and finnish of Richards work is what sets his products apart from the rest. I have owned and used about all out there in the high end tactical optic mounting world. I also HIGHLY recomend Richards muzzle brake for your rifle I have one and it is very effictive and the quality is every bit as good as the rings and bases. By the way talk to richard about the trg's he seems to be a big fan from our conversations. You will find his prices higher than the competition but after you recive the products and deal with Richard you will see that they are worth every penny!

The factory Sako base indexes on the receiver - get it on correctly and it's not going anywhere. I have used the Near base (very nice) and have factory Sako setups on all of my TRG rifles because they are simply the best. I use their three ring scope mount

STRG_Ring_34_low.jpg

...and QD scope mount (two ring)

20f2goz.jpg

and their only "fault" is that they ain't cheap to buy.

+1 on Near Mfg bases for the TRG platform. I have a TRG22 and TRG42 and have Near bases on both with no problems. I also recommend Near muzzle brakes for the TRG.

Good Luck,
Jay

I have a Ken Farrel base. It steel 20 moa with a lugged rear. It has seen about 400 rounds with no problems on my 42.

I'm very happy with Near, although I have nothing to compare it to.

I went with the NEAR also. only took about a week to get. It has recoil lugs that interface with all the recesses in the receiver. its not going anywhere, his alphamount(3 ring unimount) is very nice too, the fit and finish looks to be better than the factory unit. The near setup is 500 bux to your door, thats within about 25 bux more than the factory unit. the near has 25 moa built into the rail too.

CJG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rotortuner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It has recoil lugs that interface with all the recesses in the receiver. its not going anywhere, his alphamount(3 ring unimount) is very nice too, the fit and finish looks to be better than the factory unit.</div></div>

I wasn't aware that the phosphate finish was available on a Near and the Pro Lug is just a Near version of what Sako already did with their mount. Not knocking Near - I've got a near on both of my 595 Master Sporters, I'm just saying

Lots of viable options!

I was using the Sako Quick release mount but sold it to a member here. It was quick and strong but...
It set higher than I liked, didn't space the rings as far apart as I wanted and I accidently disconnected it during a match when my shooting glove engaged it while getting into a tight sling position. They do however, hold their zero well after being removed!

I am now using the Warne 20moa base with Leupold QRW rings. I use this on 2 different TRGs with great success. I can use low rings with 50mm MK4s or NXS scopes. (with about 1mm to spare) I can also have multiple scopes zeroed and switch them between rifles based on the intended use.

The BEST BASE for the TRG 22/42 depends on your needs.

Do you shoot prone? Do you want to mount a scope with a long occular bell housing? Got one of those long turret housing scopes? If so, then the short-ass bases are not very flexible.

The BEST base is the factory Sako full-length Picatinny rail. Costs about $400. If your needs dictate, there is no other choice.

Have a Warne on my rifle. Probably the Best Buy for the money. Nice quality, but short. I did own a couple of long-ass design scopes. IOR 4-14 and 10x. Neither scope would mount well on the Warne base. I also owned a Sako QD/lever base setup and found it to be limiting also.

I like to position the occular lens to be almost over the bolt shroud. With a 10x mk4, the Warne has great positioning options. Scopes with a long turret housing and long occular plus variable magnification ring are a real challenge. Only that factory Sako base has the extra inch or two of that matters when using a long scope design. Have been very pleased with the Low 30mm TPS TSR rings am using as well.

I had an original NON Lugged NEAR 25MOA base for 8 years. Over 1000rds and rifle has been dropped more times than I can count while hunting the Rockies every fall. Never any issue of it comming loose even without the lugs

I upgraded the scope 2 years ago and went with a NEAR Tri Lug since I was pulling everything off anyways. As already mentioned fit was perfect into the mating recess of TRG receiver . These 3 lugs take all the lateral force. It doesn't move at all even without the screws. The screws only hold the base down

Went with a NEAR Alphamount as well for rings.

Richard is great to deal with

TRGScope.jpg

Just ordered the Near 25MOA Base, and 3 ring Alphamount. Can't wait to get it in, and fire my Sako TRG 42 .338 Lapua for the first time. Bonus!

I talked to Mr. Near today. You are 100% right. He is a great guy. I can't wait to get my parts in from him. Thanks for posting that pic of your Sako. It helped me decide to go with Near.