• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best base rifle for 7mm-08

Rediculous

Private
Minuteman
Jul 26, 2011
South Carolina
I will be building a 7mm-08 bolt rifle in the very near future. I am looking for suggestions on the best platform to start my build with. I've looked at the Remington 700 model, Kimber 84, and the Marlin x. I'm assuming I will be buying new barrel and stock so the Kimber is kinda pricey. Any lessons I can learn from you guys will be highly appreciated.

Re: Best base rifle for 7mm-08

I don't know if it's the "best"...but it works for me.

7mm-08 - Just a hair under 13 lbs.

DSCF0706-2.jpg

Specs:
Rem 700 SA Varmint w/26" Barrel Cal. 7mm-08
McMillan HTG stock - Sniper Fill
Badger 20 MOA Alloy Base & Badger Low 0.823" Alloy Rings
US Optics SN-3 3.2-17x44mm T-Pal
Seekins Original DBM
Seekins SRS Rail
Atlas V-8 Bipod
KRG Bolt Lift

My girlfriends savage predator 7mm-08 shoots .7moa at 300yds with factory ammo, 22" barrel, and it cost me $300 from the classifieds here. It may do better but i only sighted it in and took it straight to 300, with a cheap scope and off a cheap bipod. It will be easy to upgrade later if i want since its a savage. Overall very happy with it.

I'm going to buy the base rifle for my build soon and deer hunt with it this season with a cheapo set-up since I won't be worried about more than 300 yard shots on a deer. After that ill start the build and the price range on the build will be around $2000 but id like to get the best basic rifle to build off of for the money so low cost on my initial buy and the stock new barrel and scope will get as much $ as I can pour in.

Just watch your twist rates. Your going to want a 1-9.5 or faster twist so you can shoot the 162s. If you get the 1-11.5 like my brother did you will only be able to run the 120 noslers which are awesome for dear but you won't reach the full potential of the rifle with that bullet. However if you plan to upgrade soon a Stevens with a slow twist and a good trigger will make an awesome deer rifle.

Good luck,
Merritt

Believe it or not, the new FN Winchesters are pretty nice.

Have a good one,
Gary

In addition to 19 ready-to-go models chambered in 7mm-08, any of Savage's rifles chambered in .308 (at least) could serve fairly effectively as a donor action.

Click this to go to their site, then click 'Firearms' and 'Gun Finder', and navigate to your heart's content from there.

Greg