• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

best binos for $1200 or less

snipe10

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 10, 2010
Colorado
I would like to buy some of those $2200 Leica's but it's too much considering I've got an OBR on order. Will use primarily for elk hunting, what's the best deal out there. The Zeiss HD's look nice at about $1K, any opinions or recommendations?
Maybe I should just keep saving for the Ultravids or EL's.

Re: best binos for $1200 or less

The Zeiss have been getting good reviews but there are a BUNCH of bin's at that price point and lower that will be more than sufficient. You'll need to figure out how much weight you're willing to carry (packing in?) and some other minutiae like if you wear glasses (eye relief). Best bet is to go here http://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=112 and read some that's interesting to you, post a question or two. Insanely knowledgeable people there.
Again, you can get some mighty fine glass for that much. Consider used "alpha's" also. Best bang for the buck there.
Personally I'm looking at some Leica BN's for my next set.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Yippeekiay</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Consider used "alpha's" also. Best bang for the buck there. </div></div>

I agree with above. Be patient and look for a nice set of used Swaro, Leicas, or Zeiss binoculars. I found a like new pair of 7x42 SLCneu Swarovski's in the box for $750 at a pawn shop! They are stellar for the Eastern woods!

Look for a set of certified pre owned Leica Ultravid BR's or non HD Swarovski SLC Neu's. Kaufman Knife usually has good deals on both.

I know I'm gonna get "boooed and histed at" for this, but I'm gonna say it anyway.

I shot quite a bit for the guard, coached the AK NG rifle team, attending every WP Wilson Mactch (NG Championships) from 1978 to 1991, to which we shot the infantry trophy match.

We were limited to 10X50 Binos.

The best I found for spotting traces and reading mirage was the cheap Bushnell 10X50 glasses.

I just got another pair for spotting for the just recient SHC.

And, if I run over them like I did my spotting scope whileelk hunting in the Big Horns, I'm not out that much.

They worked just fine. Clear and best and for my purposes, good at reading mirage.

I stick to individual focus binoculars, as individual focused binoculars are focused ONCE and they stay there.
That means the use of them are very much easyer than with a center focus that have to be cranked at all time.

Depending on use I either use Zeiss 7x50BGA Marine, that is a great binocular and can be had at wonderfull prices second hand.
When using lighter I either have the Zeiss 6x30B or 8x30B Safari glasses.
Not often but at times I use Swarovski 7x42B or Zeiss 8x60.

All of the above glass (exept for Zeiss 8x60 that hardly can be found at all) can be had in great condition for less than 1000 dollars and they are all top notch!

Håkan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LibertyOptics</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The new answer is: The Vortex Razor HD 10x42 and 8x42 new models!! They have arrived!</div></div>

First impressioins?

For small ones I got the Fujicon M24 mil ones for 125.00 and they are great. For large pair I got the Fujicon M22 for 125.00 also and they are great. Just look around here and Ebay for a deal.

These also have mil scale in them

Very good binos for money

I purchased some Steiner Merlin 8x50's at Sportsman's Paradise on sale.
I just had these up in the Colorado Rockies yesterday watching Longhorn sheep at/beyond 1000 yds. Outstanding clarity.

I liked the Steiner C5 8x42s I had. Traded them off on a 260 barreled action after only using them on 1 elk hunt. They were light and had some great glass.

I got a chance to demo some Leica, Swaro, Vortex, and Leupold binoculars side bu side, and settled on the Vortex Viper HD. Granted the former two models were for comparison only, and not in contention for purchase that day, but Vortex fit the bill for less than $600, and performed well.

At the $1,200 price point the bar becomes much steeper, so they may not stack up as well, but I'll still plug them for beating out other binos with prices close to $1k.

Their warranty isn't bad either:
<span style="font-style: italic">We will repair or replace your Vortex product in the event it becomes damaged or defective—at no charge to you. It doesn't matter how it happened, whose fault it was, or where you purchased it.</span>