• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Bipod for heavy ELR guns

Jimmy D in AK

Myrmidon
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2010
Alaska (AK)
Can I get some recommendations on a bipod for my ELR rig? Can not do an Elite Iron due to size of barrel/cant of bipod rail.
Would prefer an option to use an Arca rail
C838F0A4-D2B6-439A-A089-EED77D103258.jpeg

Reactions: Jefe~
You can order these with Arca. I use one on my 375. It’s solid.

Who sells that Arca rail you installed?

I 2nd the HD-50. Just started using one a few weeks ago and like it over my Atlas 5H.

If topmount was ever an option, Fortmeier makes a pretty good one. I personally love the pendulum Effect.

You can order these with Arca. I use one on my 375. It’s solid.

Who sells that Arca rail you installed?

My gun builder fabricated it.

Reactions: Yerman
Can I get some recommendations on a bipod for my ELR rig? Can not do an Elite Iron due to size of barrel/cant of bipod rail.
Would prefer an option to use an Arca rail View attachment 7606301
What is the diameter of your barrel? One of my ELR rifles has a 1.45 barrel and 40 MOA rail and no issues with Elite Iron.

375 SnipeTAC.jpg
375 SnipeTAC.jpg

Did you contact Elite Iron and were told they cannot help?

One thing to consider is the amount of torque generated when firing large calibers with heavy bullets. I prefer having the apex of the bi-pod above the barrel since it eliminates a hinge point.

I've never shot anything ELR, nor do I own any ELR type rifles, but I did own an Atlas 5H that was a beast and I think it would work.

I may be wrong, too.

A Phoenix if you’re on slabs or prepared ground
A elite iron if you’re in rougher conditions.
Atlas SCAL is another good option.

Those are DOA Shooting Bench. The are made in St George UT. We use them for matches and just fun shooting.
The bench in the picture are special order as the are much larger then the stock tops they sell.

Reactions: dttheliman
Those are DOA Shooting Bench. The are made in St George UT. We use them for matches and just fun shooting.
The bench in the picture are special order as the are much larger then the stock tops they sell.
I'm in Utah and I need one of those. There's not a single photo like yours on their website or IG account. I emailed them. The 375s and 50s need some extra room for sure. Thanks for the pic --> idea!

I really want to try one of the tier one evolutions but I’ll probably get the chonk version of the elite iron for my next bipod

Last edited:
Ko2m supposedly has these rules. Be nice if someone could build something similar to a Pheonix that could meet these rues. I've got some ideas but I don't have the necessary equipment to build it.

• Bipod: The bipod can only be attached to the rifle at a single point, however, having it attached to a RRS/ARCA rail, or a BipodExT system (in each case that is mounted parallel to the bore) is allowed and can be moved during the course of fire. Bipod legs must be capable of folding or otherwise collapsing along the length of the gun. In the collapsed position, the bipod, and everything else on the rifle cannot exceed a width of 8 inches. The only mechanical elevation adjustment in the front portion of the rifle and bipod system must come from the independent movement of each of the bipod legs. (Note: This does not limit the use of a mono-pod located near the rear of the rifle). The leg can only be attached to the rest of the bipod (with the exception of springs designed for rapid deployment like on the Harris) at a single point. The folding or extending portions of the legs do not require tools to deploy/operate and if asked to demonstrate, the shooter must be able to deploy the bipod from the fully folded and collapsed position into the firing position in under 10 seconds.
The bipod may only have two points of contact with the ground. The foot of the leg that comes in contact with the ground may not exceed 4 inches in width or length. The rifle and bipod must remain rigid when firing, there can be no recoil dampening or movement of the rifle in relation to the bipod in any way for the purpose of damping/reducing recoil. Nothing can be placed on top of the bipod/rifle to add additional weight/support. Common examples of these are sandbags and stakes. No sharp pointed bipods which will damage the blast sheet are permitted. Unconventional designs must be sent in for approval ahead of time. As with all the rules, any team seen to be attempting to bend the bipod rule will be disqualified.

On that same point I don't know why they hate on bipod advancement so hard. It also looks like Mitch Fitzpatrick was allowed to use a Pheonix so.... WTF?

KO2M is ONE competition that happens annually here in the states. I see zero point to build a rifle around one competition unless you’re sponsored enough to cover it.

Besides, KO2M is trying to pretend it’s some realistic team sniper ELR challenge. They’re getting stupid with their rules.

KO2M is ONE competition that happens annually here in the states. I see zero point to build a rifle around one competition unless you’re sponsored enough to cover it.

Besides, KO2M is trying to pretend it’s some realistic team sniper ELR challenge. They’re getting stupid with their rules.
I understand your point but it makes sense to shoot the same rifle you are going to compete with. Ko2M is the only ELR competition up here in Canada, that I can find anyways. Hoping to attend this year and they mimic USA rules and add a cartridge restriction.:rolleyes:

For a bipod that can be used for other things too, but is still super strong and rigid, it's hard to see how the accutac can be beat. They are really stout. I can measure my accutac with the wide footprint if you'd like to see if it exceeds 8" wide. It's absolutely great and ideal for heavy rifles and even bench shooting,it also does 45 pretty easily so I like it a lot. For prs I think mdt is king but the tbac is the best all around bipod imo.

Reactions: John Glidewell
For a bipod that can be used for other things too, but is still super strong and rigid, it's hard to see how the accutac can be beat. They are really stout. I can measure my accutac with the wide footprint if you'd like to see if it exceeds 8" wide. It's absolutely great and ideal for heavy rifles and even bench shooting,it also does 45 pretty easily so I like it a lot. For prs I think mdt is king but the tbac is the best all around bipod imo.
I’m sure it meets the width restriction. I’ve got an atlas now and don’t mind it, just feel like there’s gotta be something better. The accu tac looks nice for sure. I was thinking of try a cadex. Maybe I’ll get to drawing and see what I can come up with.

I’m sure it meets the width restriction. I’ve got an atlas now and don’t mind it, just feel like there’s gotta be something better. The accu tac looks nice for sure. I was thinking of try a cadex. Maybe I’ll get to drawing and see what I can come up with.
I have a cadex falcon gen 2, atlas 5h, phoenix precision, and an accutac fc4g2. I love them all for different reasons, but if I had only one choice I would go with the accutac. I believe the hd50 meets current k02m constraints and they just released ski feet (p-ski).

Reactions: Taylorbok
I love my LRAs (I have two). One is the F-Class and its a bit more low slung; the other is the tactical. They are both super solid, can handle a huge rifle (I'm using one on my 30-325 lb 2 mile rig). they mount to a rail, not a post. They are spendy, but you get what you pay for in my opinion.

I bought an Accu-Tac HD-50 based on the recommendations from this thread, it's bulky but holy man is it solid. I can't say I have ever felt a bipod this solid. I had to rig up an Arca rail while I wait for my heavy version, but man I just can't get over how stable it is. I was starting to consider a ckye pod for my hunting rifle but after using this I don't think it can be beat, I think I'll just go for one of their lighter versions.
Also their site says 3-4 months for out of stock, mine was exactly 1 month. I got the sled feet also but haven't tested them yet.
IMG_5208.jpg

Well, it happens once a year but in 6 countries. Maybe 8 next year so there is that. If you add the Ko1M matches then just about half the matches in the world use our rules and format.

The other thing I'd point out is that most shooters improved when we they got off their Phoenix crutches. Hard to nail down if it is because the phoenix is too flimsy for bigger guns or because people were forced to pay more attention to their position but the improvement was not trivial. A number of people that complained about the rule change later thanked us for what it did for their shooting. If you are still on crutches, you might want to try something better.

-Alex

Well, it happens once a year but in 6 countries. Maybe 8 next year so there is that. If you add the Ko1M matches then just about half the matches in the world use our rules and format.

The other thing I'd point out is that most shooters improved when we they got off their Phoenix crutches. Hard to nail down if it is because the phoenix is too flimsy for bigger guns or because people were forced to pay more attention to their position but the improvement was not trivial. A number of people that complained about the rule change later thanked us for what it did for their shooting. If you are still on crutches, you might want to try something better.

-Alex
I’ll agree that the Phoenix is flimsy. It’s flex is noticeable whereas say an ACCU-TAC HD50 is virtually nonexistent. My opinions on things have been changing. I’d actually like to see KO1M grow.

@Sandow the Heretic I think part of the issue is there is very little other rules but when you get to Bipods there is such a long list of restrictions, honestly most of it I can understand or has almost no bearing on what bipod you can use, the one part I disagree with is that vertical movement has to be independent movement of each leg, IMO if you can meet all of the other requirements you should be able to adjust with one motion.

I'm hoping to shoot Ko2M Canada this fall. If someone hosted a Ko1M up here I would do my best to attend.

Last edited:
I really like my Atlas 5H. The only thing that sucks is the mounting lever. I made some different length legs with adjustable feet to get the rifle perfectly level.

@Sandow the Heretic I think part of the issue is there is very little other rules but when you get to Bipods there is such a long list of restrictions, honestly most of it I can understand or has almost no bearing on what bipod you can use, the one part I disagree with is that vertical movement has to be independent movement of each leg, IMO if you can meet all of the other requirements you should be able to adjust with one motion.

I'm hoping to shoot Ko2M Canada this fall. If someone hosted a Ko1M up here I would do my best to attend.
Yeah, the bipod rules are extensive but they don't really restrict many folding bipods. The reality is that we were forced into extensive rules by the number of people that instantly wanted to build ridiculous contraptions that skirted the rules as best as possible. For better or worse, we want to encourage the development of things that are usable in the field. If there is something you feel is unnecessarily effected, by all means submit it for review.

I think Ko1M would be a better fit up there. The limits on the guns are pretty much the limits on what you can own there right? FWIW, as long as the weight is reported out, I include 338s shot in heavy gun matches in the Ko1M ranking. Registration for Ko1M is still open if you want to make the trek. I have a letter of invitation for international shooters that often eases entry with a gun.

-Alex

@Sandow the Heretic Ya the rules pretty much allow any folding bipod currently on the market, I do believe there is a place for something that folds but adjusts via one central wheel. I haven't quite figured out the design so currently have no invested interest in bringing anything to review...Yet ;)

Ya the limits are on what we can legally own, I wasn't rolling my eyes at you, that was directed towards our ridiculous laws and the people that make them.

I'd love to make it down for Ko1M but I'm just to busy this summer. Maybe next year. I thought there was a ranking that a person had to have to "qualify" how would a person from a different country go about attaining this qualification?

@Sandow the Heretic Ya the rules pretty much allow any folding bipod currently on the market, I do believe there is a place for something that folds but adjusts via one central wheel. I haven't quite figured out the design so currently have no invested interest in bringing anything to review...Yet ;)

Ya the limits are on what we can legally own, I wasn't rolling my eyes at you, that was directed towards our ridiculous laws and the people that make them.

I'd love to make it down for Ko1M but I'm just to busy this summer. Maybe next year. I thought there was a ranking that a person had to have to "qualify" how would a person from a different country go about attaining this qualification?
There is a ranking but we also cut slack to international shooters because they have so few opportunities so if people give us the impression that they have a clue and are willing to cross the boarder to shoot, we will let them in.

So, if I was going to make a bipod that was adjustable via some mechanical, hydraulic or electric means; I would have each leg adjust independently so you could level the gun as well as raise or lower it. That would let you dump the tilt adjustment at the mount to lower weigh and complexity.

-Alex

@Jimmy D in AK - as mentioned, Elite Iron will make you a custom mount and it doesn't cost mo' money.

Though not shown on their website, they will make an ARCA rail compatible mount and in my case with a JAE chassis and an MTU barrel they did have to make the riser part of the mount "custom" and it was dead easy and has worked great.

If you give them a call, I feel confident they can supply you something that will work on your gun.

Have you called them, by any chance?

I would think this one with proper mount would suit your pupose

@Jimmy D in AK - as mentioned, Elite Iron will make you a custom mount and it doesn't cost mo' money.

Though not shown on their website, they will make an ARCA rail compatible mount and in my case with a JAE chassis and an MTU barrel they did have to make the riser part of the mount "custom" and it was dead easy and has worked great.

If you give them a call, I feel confident they can supply you something that will work on your gun.

Have you called them, by any chance?

I would think this one with proper mount would suit your pupose

Those feet would be a no go for me. Interesting design otherwise though.

-Alex

I’m a believer of the Elite Iron, once you figure out the preload, it’s game time. Just shot my 2 best groups on steel at 1774 w the EL. I’m starting to prefer it over my HD-50 w ski feet.