• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Best Bipod For Precision Repeatable Rifles??

Flyboyzack

Private
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2013
Texas
Hi guys,

I just wanted to get some insight on bipods. I know it may not be sexy, but it's important to shooting. I have a Harris non-adjustable bipod on one rifle, and it's okay although my shots aren't very repeatable. I know bipods are not quite as accurate as regular bench/bag shooting, but I would like a bipod that makes it close in terms of repeatability.

I heard the Atlas bipods are pretty good, but I'm not sure if I want to drop 250 dollars on a bipod. Do you know of a bipod that you can recommend for a reasonable price (around 100 dollars) that will allow one to put a forward "preload" on the rifle for precision shooting.

I use the Harris Bipod with notches and it works great for me.

I've run a class with it with no issues. If I don't shoot as well as I want, it's not the bipods fault.

Bipods can be every bit as accurate as shooting off of bags or rucks, especially with the proper use of a rear bag. Also, no offense intended, but a lack of accuracy or "repeatability" with a Harris bipod is due to shooter error, not equipment. If you're sliding the Harris when preloading, it means you have too much preload. Load it to the point just before is starts to slide, and that's how much (or how little) load you need on the bipod.

I bought a GG&G heavy duty bipod after consulting Lisa at JAE. Seems to be well made and I'm very happy with it.

Agreed with the Harris bipod, very good bipod for the cost, if your not getting repeatable shots with a bipod it could mean you have a flimsy stock that's not sturdy enough and is making contact with the barrel when loaded, check the stock with load on the bipod and make sure you still have clearance between the stock and the barrel, if there's contact the best bipod in the world isn't gona help!

Hi guys,

I just wanted to get some insight on bipods. I know it may not be sexy, but it's important to shooting. I have a Harris non-adjustable bipod on one rifle, and it's okay although my shots aren't very repeatable. I know bipods are not quite as accurate as regular bench/bag shooting, but I would like a bipod that makes it close in terms of repeatability.

I heard the Atlas bipods are pretty good, but I'm not sure if I want to drop 250 dollars on a bipod. Do you know of a bipod that you can recommend for a reasonable price (around 100 dollars) that will allow one to put a forward "preload" on the rifle for precision shooting.

If you need a good bipod for a hundred bucks get the Harris. If you can spend twice that twice that you can look at a Atlas. If you can double it again look at a LRA (Long Range Accuracy.)

I will go against the grain on this, Atlas all the way. Sold my Harris and went Atlas on all my rifles. You can get an Atlas for 220

"Precision Repeatable Rifles".....If you are looking to do prone shooting off a bi-pod I think you should as they say " Buy Once Cry Once" and start looking into what the F-Classers that are at the top of the game are using. They are a very LONG shot from the $100 Harris. I personally am waiting for the Seb Joy Pod to make it's way to the states to sit under the 243AI sitting here. I also have the GG&G Extra Heavy Duty under a 300RUM that seems to do the job for me. Best of luck....Have Fun.

I guess my Harris is not the notched one. The one I have is NOT the adjustable hinged version. It's very rigid. I'm not sure if this makes a big difference.

I do know that I accidentally ordered the Harris hinged 9-13 version (I wanted the 6-9 version) and I was shooting around .5 MOA with it before I sent it back. When I put on my old rigid bipod, I was lucky if I could shoot 1 MOA. NOTHING ELSE HAS CHANGED!! I do understand the logic in assuming it's the shooter as that's 75% of the game.

I don't remember but does the hinged bipod allow you to put a forward "preload"? I'm pretty sure the Atlas allows that but not sure about the G&G.

I just load my bipod before I shoot as part of my preshot routine.

No problem with the Harris. Mine is the swivel as we'll, and I just lock it down once I level the reticule.

If your shooting .5 moa, that's just awesome. I strive for 1 moa with my Remington 700 5r and factory federal smk.

I guess I just stink. If I shot .5. I wouldn't change anything.

I have both the Harris and the Atlas. I shoot mostly with Atlas attached...

I will go against the grain on this, Atlas all the way. Sold my Harris and went Atlas on all my rifles. You can get an Atlas for 220

Where might that be? Last time I checked I think they were going for around 250.

The rail mount with two bolts runs 220 wherever I've looked, you don't need a fancy QD mount

I say harris man. And even more since that's what your already using. I have an atlas and I've had a GG&G. They are both great bipods but there is nothing wrong with a harris and I actually like it the most. Don't let it get too complicated. The harris is light and solid. That's what you want. I shot a match this last weekend with the atlas and the whole time I wish I had my harris.

I have Atlas. Exceptional all around but I'd agree on LRA if you have the money.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

So is this Harris bipod the notched or unnotched version? It's the first rifle in the picture.

If you can't repeat shots with that, your problem is not your bi-pod...Leave the legs in and try it. That is too tall for me, personally.

I started with the harris on the sling mount, went to the versa pod with a spigot mount, adapted the harris to the spigot mount, went to the atlas on a rail mount. Now I've settled on the Larue quick release rail mount with the harris. Kinda went full circle. The Harris is easy to deploy, is solid once it locks down, the notched legs make it easy to keep the legs even if you have to extend and the rail mount that larue makes it very solid but easy to remove if needed. Want to buy some used bipods!!