• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

"Best" Bolt Action .308

payj

Private
Minuteman
May 18, 2010
Looking to spend no more then $2500-$3500 for the rifle itself. I want it to be extremely accurate and reliable. Will be matching it with either a S&B scope or US optics so I want to put the optics to "work" if you will.

Thanks

Re: "Best" Bolt Action .308

For that money of no more than $3500 I'd give William Roscoe of Louisiana Precision Rifles a call. He does stunning work and guarantees .25MOA with handloads on his rifles.

There's also Mike Lau of Texas Brigade Armory. Very high spec, accurate builds with .25MOA guarantee with handload ammo.

For a $1k more I'd give Mike Rescigno at Tactical Operations a call. <span style="font-weight: bold">Flawless</span> rifles with .25MOA guarantee with <span style="font-weight: bold">factory</span> FGMM ammo.

Depends if you want custom or shelf. You can snag either one in that range.
If you don't want to go custom route, then I vote the sako too.

+1 on watching the classifieds... that is how I pick up most of my toys lol.

TRG22 as everyone above has said!

Whats the intended purpose? Pure bench gun, tactical rig, hunting gun?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Saber Cat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">TRG-22 in that price range. </div></div>
You will not go wrong with the TRG 22. I love mine.

Howa 1500, leaves money for manners stock, and some left over for titty bar money....or ammo

for that money you can get a very sweet custom rig. talk to a few smiths and find out who you are the most comfrotable with.

Skunkworks, GAP, wnroscoe, Chad Dixon, Gre-Tan rifles to name a few!

If you can save a little more then Tac Ops is the way to go. If you don't want to wait then id say go with an AIAE.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you can save a little more then Tac Ops is the way to go</div></div>

+1 That's what I chose and no regrets.

What caliber do you want? ... if u want shoot out 1K, 308w should not be your choise

I'd look in the for sale section. You can find some nice rifles in that price range and have them in a couple of weeks. Order an S&B at the same time and you will be ready to go shooting when the rifle arrives.

Some things to look at
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1958608&gonew=1#top

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1945227#Post1945227

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1987858#Post1987858

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1990779&gonew=1#UNREAD

Everyone needs a good .308. Nothing wrong with that caliber.

Or if you wanted to place an order
http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-precision-2010-custom-rifles.html

308 is a GREAT caliber, but i think that out 1k, other caliber are better:)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mkv_89</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you can save a little more then Tac Ops is the way to go</div></div>

+1 That's what I chose and no regrets. </div></div>
Amen, I love my lima 63

Looks like the Sako TRG series takes the cake for the most part. I'm a total newb to this. Basically want something great out of the box. With a tactical look. This has it. Looking to get out to 800-1K yards. would the 300win mag be better? What is the Max range of the .308? Also what makes these rifles so good? Where is a good place to buy these?

THX

GAP or Tactical Operations all the way

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: payj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like the Sako TRG series takes the cake for the most part. I'm a total newb to this. Basically want something great out of the box. With a tactical look. This has it. Looking to get out to 800-1K yards. would the 300win mag be better? What is the Max range of the .308? Also what makes these rifles so good? Where is a good place to buy these?

THX </div></div>

The 308 will get you out to 1000 with 175 SMKs or a variety of offerings if you reload. The 300 win mag will get it out there further, but factory match ammo favors the 308 if you don't reload.

Josh

Don't forget about Robert Gradous, Gradousrifles.com. Hes a bit more expensive but he uses the best parts that one can use. My second choice will be William Roscoe. He will be doing my next custom/rebarrel on my 5r when the time comes.

What Tactical Operations should I look at in .308? There seems to be a handful.

Thx

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: payj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What Tactical Operations should I look at in .308? There seems to be a handful.

Thx </div></div>

The main difference is the stock. The action and so forth is set in. The driver here should be your use. Make sure when you call (DONT email, CALL them, they dont answer email) you specify whether this should be a tactical rifle or a match rifle based on your use.

Also make sure your option choices are consistent with that election.

If it helps any, in my first convo with Mike I explained what I wanted to do with the rifle and let him make the recommendation as to the stock, caliber etc. Mike is very easy to talk to (as long as you call after 5pm PST), if you're new he's patient and will steer you straight.

I wanted something I could enter competitions with - F/TR and practical, hunt with and just have fun with on the range when there was nothing else to do. He recommended the Tango-51. The only deviance on my rifle from the norm is that I've asked for a DBM to be placed on mine. When I get the DBM from Seekins I'll send it to Mike to get his opinion.

The Tango is probably the most versatile platform because the stock - McMillan Sako Varminter - is so ergonomic and lighter compared to the other 'paddle' stocks - I've fired both a Tango and an X-Ray to confirm this.

If you're a noob (like me), then the .308 is a great caliber to start with. It's more challenging to get out to 800+yds but that just means you learn more about wind, ballistics, dope and all round technique. Make it a challenge and it'll be more fun and satisfying as you progress - IMHO. If you do go with a custom then I highly recommend you get a good .22LR rifle and practice, practice practice while your rifle's being built - I went with a CZ452 Ultra Lux, very accurate rifle right out of the box.

Call him and see how it goes. If nothing else, you'll end that call with a lot more knowledge than before.

Best of luck and welcome to the most expensive but fun hobby in the world (besides, golf is for pussies).

something cheap, then practice practice practice.

I've already made the choice to go with a inexpensive rig, and shoot until I feel qualified, re barrel, then shoot some more...

With a TRG-22, I dont feel its a weapon i can shoot bulk surplus through and feel good about.

If I was going to buy a custom gun, I would go with Precision Shooting Sports. PSS is doing the 2009 Hide build, which should be a very good endorsement. Also I REALLY like his thinking on the design of the action.

Both of his actions include a integral recoil lug, which I think is very important. Also the bolt has two lugs up front, plus one in the rear. I believe that is the best design, as the rear lug should greatly reduce harmonics, etc. I think you get a lot for the money with PSS. GAP would be excellent, but PSS might be even better.

-Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Howa 1500, leaves money for manners stock, and some left over for titty bar money....or ammo </div></div>

Agreed, always gotta have money for the titty bar.

Scott