• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

best bolt action, lowest price?

mistaduck89

Private
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2009
i'm in the market for a bolt action rifle, but i don't wanna spend a lot of money. what would you rifle aficionados suggest i look at?

Re: best bolt action, lowest price?

Howa 1500, Weatherby Vanguard (Howa 1500), Tikka T3.

savage is the big winner.go to 6mmbr.com to see who is winning the big shoots.you are not seeing many of these rifles built on this site competing at this level/price there.fact.

Even cheaper is the Stevens 200, which is essentially a Savage action, no accutrigger, real solid rifles. Someone here has one that seems like a real shooter.

What is alot of money to you? That phrase has different meaning to everyone so until we know the price range it's tough to give specific recommendations but the heavy barreled versions of Rem 700/Savage are the default.

FN PBR sold mine a few weeks ago, but for what it cost and how well it shot, its hard to beat

I'd get the Stevens. It's a Savage (mostly, without the latest upgrades, which are worth paying the tarriff for if you've got the bucks), the Stevens is an economical, good, and servicable bare-bones-basic rifle, that can be upgraded in affordable stages.

Remington 700. You can have it upgraded later if desired. Everybody knows how to work on one. More aftermarket add-ons are available for the R700 that any other bolt-action. Next question.

Rem 700 sps $439 and good selection of calibers.

i'll say rem 700, lots of aftermarket parts and if you ever want to upgrade later you are set already.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Belisarius</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rem 700 sps $439 and good selection of calibers. </div></div>

where for $439? cheapest I've found anywhere is $503+shipping

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OlsenG_360</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Belisarius</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rem 700 sps $439 and good selection of calibers. </div></div>

cheapest I've found anywhere is $503+shipping </div></div>

Link please?

Thanks in advance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mistaduck89</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i'm in the market for a bolt action rifle, but i don't wanna spend a lot of money. what would you rifle aficionados suggest i look at? </div></div>

Hmmmmm......don't want to spend a lot of money on a bolt action rifle huh? How about a.................Mosin Nagant 91/30 for less than $100US.
laugh.gif

+1 on the 700. I picked up a 700 LTR .308 a few months ago. After a hundred rounds or so, it is now shooting well under an inch with 175 SMKs. I am sure I will start adding stuff later, but for less than $1,000, you start out with a pretty good gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MarioM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OlsenG_360</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Belisarius</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rem 700 sps $439 and good selection of calibers. </div></div>

cheapest I've found anywhere is $503+shipping </div></div>

Link please?

Thanks in advance.</div></div>

Dont need a link, got my remington 06 at walmart for under 400. I have since then put another 400 into it.