• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best brakes for combo recoil/ride reduction while directing blast away?

tsu45

Private
Minuteman
May 15, 2011
Took some time off of shooting and just now getting back into it. What are the current hot models that also direst blast away from the shooter? Bonus points if easily detachable for cleaning.

Hellfire Match. Switching from the Hellfire on one rifle and the Sidewinder on another I find it reduces recoil better than the Hellfire and muzzle rise better than both of them. Spotting impacts and follow up shots is better on both rifles.

Reactions: PabloPlutarco
The PVA Jet4 does an excellent job on recoil and with it's "Blast Shadow" it directs the blast away from the shooter. It's a self timing brake also so easily on and off.

A lot has happened since 8 years ago when that test was done.

Reactions: LR1845

I don't know shit about fuck on these, so anybody know if a viable option?

The ACE brake has been great for me, though I tend to care much more about it keeping the concussion/blast off of me than getting the utmost recoil reduction (and with a 20lb 6mm, keeping my hearing and/or not having to drive home with a headache is more important than making it any softer shooting).

I ran a 5-port Insite Heathen for a long time too and they are great as well.

Either is easy on/off, though I prefer the ACE in that regard as you can use a big 3/8" hex to torque it so it won't come loose on you (most other hand-tightened self-timing brakes tend to come loose at inopportune times IME).

I have a bunch, cheap, expensive, & home built
They all work, the ones that direct the blast back in your direction work to reduce the best, but are the most annoying to many, but it doesn't bother me so I use them...the others are compromise between not so loud and annoying but more recoil with less blast. Your choice.

I love my 4AW muzzle brake.

-Stan

The new Gen2 Heathen has been amazing for me I was looking for the exact same thing for my 22” Desert Tech 308 barrel because it’s so close to your face you get a lot blast with most breaks. This brake cuts the recoil just as good as the rest and the 90° ports means practically zero blast felt by the shooter.
IMG_4361.jpeg

The new Gen2 Heathen has been amazing for me I was looking for the exact same thing for my 22” Desert Tech 308 barrel because it’s so close to your face you get a lot blast with most breaks. This brake cuts the recoil just as good as the rest and the 90° ports means practically zero blast felt by the shooter.View attachment 8274976
This the one I'm leaning towards trying next

None really direct blast toward the shooter, unless you count the shooter next to you? I feel most ARE NOT universal per caliber, but finding 1 that works best per that gun with that load.

Dumb question but is anyone purposely buying brakes with overizede bores for any reason? I am between a .30 and a 6.5 for my 6.5, the idea being I would never have to worry about a bullet striking the oversized one but that's probably not much of an issue.

I mainly shoot 6mm, but I buy all my muzzle devices in 6.5 just in case because I might end up shooting one of those again at some point.

Dumb question but is anyone purposely buying brakes with overizede bores for any reason? I am between a .30 and a 6.5 for my 6.5, the idea being I would never have to worry about a bullet striking the oversized one but that's probably not much of an issue.

Not purposely but I have used oversized brakes on rifles and they work fine. The caliber specific brakes are made so there is plenty of clearance and if you do get a strike then there is a serious issue going on in the load or rifle. It very rarely happens so I wouldn't stress it.

Not purposely but I have used oversized brakes on rifles and they work fine. The caliber specific brakes are made so there is plenty of clearance and if you do get a strike then there is a serious issue going on in the load or rifle. It very rarely happens so I wouldn't stress it.
I have not cleaned brakes regularly that ended up getting ridiculous amounts of carbon in them is the only reason I thought it could happen.

Looking at an aluminum Ultralight Jetblast for an NRL Hunter rifle.

I have not cleaned brakes regularly that ended up getting ridiculous amounts of carbon in them is the only reason I thought it could happen.

Looking at an aluminum Ultralight Jetblast for an NRL Hunter rifle.

Well if you will let that much carbon build up you will be going through a lot of barrels or shooting the dirtiest powder in the world as I have never cleaned a brake personally. Lol If worried just go .30.

Well if you will let that much carbon build up you will be going through a lot of barrels or shooting the dirtiest powder in the world as I have never cleaned a brake personally. Lol If worried just go .30.
That was after two barrels so about 6000 rounds of 6.5cm almost all H4350 through an aluminum 6.5 Heathen. Maybe I am overstating it but by a lot of carbon I mean the ports looked noticeably smaller. They weren't plugged or anything like that.

I didn't think it made a difference that I could notice but I'm not an expert by any means. When I googled it some shooters online were stressing the importance of cleaning brakes so opinions seem to vary.