• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Brass Cleaning medium?

Loaded247

Private
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2012
Hey guys,
Only been reloading for a couple years now, Been using corn cob media to polish my brass, I know other people use walnuts. What works the best?

Thanks

Re: Best Brass Cleaning medium?

Aside from the stainless, I use a mix of corn cob and walnut hull with a shot of NuFinish car polish in it.

I'm a newbie to reloading my self but also use corn cob and walnut as well with frankford brass polish. and it dose a decent job. but unfortunately tumbler just took a crap so no clean brass for now.

I used to do corncob before resizing then walnut after, but the walnut does much better for me so I just threw the corncob out and use walnut all the time now.

The walnut leaves a lol bit of powder type residue but I just wipe the brass off with a rag before resizing to get it off.

I still prefer corncob. I've tried a few media reactivators, and metal polished that work well. I've tried walnut, but it is too dusty for my likes. I have not yet tried any wet media. I do have an ultrasonic cleaner, but I have never done a "batch" of brass in it.

+1 for Stainless Steel. While the actual cleaning is quicker, it actually takes slightly longer when you factor in the drying. But the results are incredible. A while ago I posted a comparison that I made of new brass vs. walnut vs. stainless --- here's a picture below.

url]

Trust me, SS media is THE way to go.
Expensive yes, but what's all the hype I hear from some guy's about buying once and crying once?

Which kit did you stainless users buy to get started?

Fine cob from The Drill Spot. For polish I use Dillon or Barry's (different color but work the same). If I'm putting ammo up for long term storage, I'll run it in some clean cob w/ Nufinish; that keeps the brass looking good for years.

Put some pieces of dryer sheet in there and it will grab the dust.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: woodland-ghost</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used to do corncob before resizing then walnut after, but the walnut does much better for me so I just threw the corncob out and use walnut all the time now.

The walnut leaves a lol bit of powder type residue but I just wipe the brass off with a rag before resizing to get it off. </div></div>

Question: what is the best form of brass cartridge cleaning?

Answer: stainless steel media tumbling, bar none....

"Question: what is the best form of brass cartridge cleaning?"

If there was a straight answer it would have put all others off the market. They all work fine, the whole process gets far more agonizing than it merits. What's "best" for you depends on what method and media YOU like best, not what I like best. (I think any wet tumble method sucks but it does make purty brass inside and out, for what ever that's worth.)

Givent he choice of Corncob vs. Walnut...I prefer walnut
Given the choice of SS media vs. U Sonic cleaning. I prefer the latter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jakelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which kit did you stainless users buy to get started? </div></div>

I got a hold of a fellow Hide member,suasponte
He set me up with Mark,the guy that first started the whole SS media craze.He's a wealth of information to talk to.
For the tumbler I found a guy here in Ontario that had them at a good price that included shipping.

Try some plain white rice. Cheap, cleans better than walnut and much less dust. Cleans the primer pockets too, which is something that walnut or corncob has never done for me.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jakelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which kit did you stainless users buy to get started? </div></div>

+1 on the stainless. Outstanding results even though it is a bit more time consuming having to rinse the brass and media, then drying the brass. Primer pockets look like new.

Here's a kit I got from Brownells.
http://www.brownells.com/reloading/case-...-prod42993.aspx

Interesting thing to me about a surgecially clean case is that it's instantly converted back to inner black at the moment of ignition of the next charge. ??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Interesting thing to me about a surgecially clean case is that it's instantly converted back to inner black at the moment of ignition of the next charge. ??</div></div>

Yes... Isn't that amazing?!

lizard litter and alittle nu finish car polish. put it on when i go to work spotless when i get home

how many minute of angle group size reduction do you see with mirror polished brass

Well Fuzzy and I agree on a few things and this is one of them.

I have heard other guys mention the fact that a little carbon in the neck possibly gives a more consistent bullet pull at firing. I agree with that, though not sure it can be proven, beyond the fact that some of my reloads with new brass, that had to be pulled years later, seemed to be almost welded to the bullet.

To each his own. I will have to try the rice trick. I use Walnut with a final corn cob dust eliminator....walnut is a bit dusty sometimes but cleans very well.

<span style="font-style: italic">"I have heard other guys mention the fact that a little carbon in the neck possibly gives a more consistent bullet pull at firing. I agree with that, though not sure it can be proven, beyond the fact that some of my reloads with new brass, that had to be pulled years later, seemed to be almost welded to the bullet."</span>

It can't be proven but a lot of real 'experts' believe the case is slammed against the chamber wall before a bullet can exit the case. If so, the neck's <span style="text-decoration: underline">normal</span> grip on bullets wouldn't matter a whole lot.

But, it's a fact that galvanic action between some dissimilar metals can, over time, sorta weld them together. The alloy of bullet jackets and cases are quite similular but not the same; a tight fit of bare metal and normal atmospheric humidity may explain how clean bullets cold weld to clean necks. If so, the interior traces of carbon from previous firing may reduce the welding and could actually be an advantage for hunting ammo loaded with costly bullets that may sit for years before being fired.

It's also possible that a light coat of case lube can provide a better shielding effect than power carbon. I use a thin wipe of Imperial on my hunting bullets BUT I've never done a test to see if it helps or hurts!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armorpl8chikn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I use Walnut with a final corn cob dust eliminator....walnut is a bit dusty sometimes but cleans very well. </div></div>

I've found that just adding more polish to walnut gets rid of the dust. A fresh load of walnut gets a capful or so of nu-finish when I run it, and I don't have a dust issue.

Before I tried that trick, I had a huge problem with dust. With enough polish added early on the cases come out great.

Rice! I'm having a "why didn't I think of that" moment. I like the idea of clean primer pockets and cheap media.

I use corn cob but stainless is best. Walnut beaks down faster then corn cob and needs replaced more often. I use to add polishing stones Jewlers use in their media but it doesn't help.

I must say using rice is a heckuvan idea; I have some sitting in my kitchen anyway, so I'll have to try that next time. Thanks much, Hondo64d.

Yours,

David

More than one way to skin a cat, but I prefer SS media.

Do it right the first time; buy the thumler kit and be done with it.