• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

best brass...

LA_Lawman

Private
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2009
So. Cal.
I use winchester brass because it is locally available and doesnt kill my pcket book.

but i know there are others that are good if not better.

can i get someone to list the brass in order of their quality....

I think lapua and norma are probably at the top.

Re: best brass...

i have noticed over the years that some cases require more prep then others, but i still go through the expensive brass like i do the "bargain" brass as some would say,

size them all, uniform primer pockets, bedurr flash holes, chamfer/deburr the necks,

My small experience with Winchester as I get into precision reloading is that it is very consistent in weight as well. However, I will still get some Lupua to compare with. But, if all things being equal the Winchester performs as well with the only downfall being that it requires a little more prep than it is worth the savings to me.

No Matter the brand they all vary to some degree granted the Norma and Lapua do have less variance, But finding the brass that shoots well and then culling either end of the weight spectrum works best for me. I have found that the Remington match brass is very consistent and shoots well out of one 308 and Lapua shoots very well out of my other? Go figure.

Will they be used in a bolt gun or a semi-auto? Semi's tend to chew up the brass quicker than bolt guns, and you won't get as many reloads using one. I've always used Winchester commercial in my semi-autos, and Lapua in my accurate bolt guns. They seem to have the right balance of hardness and consistency within the lot. Others are good as well. It just matters how critical you are about accuracy, prep needed, neck run-out, etc. Norma is VERY pricey, and no better than Lapua in my experience.

I prefer Lapua brass, when possible and also when the wallet permits. Winchester brass is very decent actually. I use that for my 300 win mag. and 243 cal. I haven't use Norma. Price is in the range of Lapua,but not as durable.

I think many of us get overly critical of brass.

It really needs to be pretty crude stuff before it negates the handloaders capacity to craft accurate ammo. The key issues are primer pocket tightness, flash hole uniformity, and neck tension. As long as these factors can be maintained with reasonable conformity, not a lot else is all that critical.

The major brass makers produce a reasonably servicable product.

Some also make brass prep either simpler or superfluous, but it remains to the user to decide whether the premium they charge is worth more than the effort involved in the prep work. For me, it isn't.

Greg