• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Best Broad head

branct06

KOPFJAGER
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2010
High Point N.C.
Ok I am looking at trying a new broad head this year for deer season, what have other members found to work best for them??

Re: Best Broad head

I have tried a lot of different broadheads, fixed blades and mechnicals. There are 2 that I use now and they are "the schwacker" and "the atom". Both of these broadheads are excellent. Both of these have there pros and cons. IMO, there is no better solution then knowing your setup down to the broadhead before you go into the field and not taking a shot that you are unsure of. Shot placement is the key with any broadhead.

Schwacker Pros:
Impacts close to where my field points do
Large cutting diameter
Excellent for hard quartering shots

Atom Pros:
Impacts exactly where my field points do
Unbelievable penetration

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steven Lunsford</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have tried a lot of different broadheads, fixed blades and mechnicals. There are 2 that I use now and they are "the schwacker" and "the atom". Both of these broadheads are excellent. Both of these have there pros and cons. IMO, there is no better solution then knowing your setup down to the broadhead before you go into the field and not taking a shot that you are unsure of. Shot placement is the key with any broadhead.

Schwacker Pros:
Large cutting diameter

Atom Pros:
Unbelievable penetration
Excellent for hard quartering shots </div></div>

What would you say the cons are to these two? Have been eyeballing the Schwackers. Guessing that the Schwacker having rubber bands is a con, anything else?

I like fixed blades and have had really good luck with G5 Strikers and recently VPA's three bladed heads

For mechanicals. Grim Reapers
For fixed. Muzzys

Been bowhunting for over 30 years and if these were the only two broadheads in existence today I wouldn't feel slighted in the least.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redirt78</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steven Lunsford</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have tried a lot of different broadheads, fixed blades and mechnicals. There are 2 that I use now and they are "the schwacker" and "the atom". Both of these broadheads are excellent. Both of these have there pros and cons. IMO, there is no better solution then knowing your setup down to the broadhead before you go into the field and not taking a shot that you are unsure of. Shot placement is the key with any broadhead.

Schwacker Pros:
Large cutting diameter

Atom Pros:
Unbelievable penetration
Excellent for hard quartering shots </div></div>

What would you say the cons are to these two? Have been eyeballing the Schwackers. Guessing that the Schwacker having rubber bands is a con, anything else?</div></div>

Schwacker con to me is that because of the way the blades deploy and the large cutting diameter there is a lot of momentum taking out of the arrow quickly therefore sometimes I don't get the penetration that I want. That being said I have had great blood trails with them so far.

Atom con is probably that it has a relatively small cutting diameter, but I think that it is worth the trade in cutting diameter for the penetration that I get with them.

Both are great broadheads and I would recommend trying both if you can.

It will depend on your bow. If you are shooting a modern, fast compound and a reasonably heavy arrow, shoot the swackers. If your equipment is older or you are shooting a recurve or long bow, shoot a fixed two blade.

I shot a fixed two blade that weighed 190 grains up until two years ago. It went through everything.... I was only pushing it about 230fps but it had a huge amount of kinetic energy. The longest I had a deer run was about 70 yds.

Bought a new bow two years ago and switched to the 125gr swacker. Have taken several deer with it and have been very impressed. Nice to not have to resharpen blades, they fly great and are very accurate.

Rage (2blade) and Muzzy (Mx3), both with good results.

Several others I like, just have stuck with these.

For fixed blade heads I've shot the G5 Montecs, NAP thunderheads and the muzzy mx4's. I've used mechanicals in the NAP spitfire, Grim Reaper razortips and a few other junk heads I can't even remember the names of. I liked both the thunderheads and muzzy fixed heads, both were tough, accurate and quiet in flight, used them for several years til I ran into the Rage 2-blades. If you want a broadhead that opens big holes and leaves alot of blood these are the golden ticket. Some people say they're overpriced or the blades open too easy, I've never had a problem so I can't complain. If I had ANY issue I guess the blades could be a little tougher, but if you put the arrow where it needs to be these things will eat em up. Haven't looked back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pr0VideR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">G5 T3's are great I have been very happy with them. </div></div>

+1
good results for me on several animals, great accuracy too.

Slick Tricks are the only fixed blade broadheads that I've shot that truly flew just like my field points. They are freaking deadly...

G5 T3's. I hit last year’s buck in the liver and he died in less than 30 seconds, and they shoot like field points for me. Also they are easy to take apart and refurbish, the body is one piece unlike rage which I have used and broken if you miss or have a pass through and hit the ground.

My latest heads are the g3 carbon I believe, those on helicle fletched pile drivers have got me 2 bull moose and a black bear so far.

I too have been trying different broadheads. I used 3 blade muzzys for a while and man they tear shit up. I switched to the G5 montecs mainly due to their practice heads, you can buy a pack of them. I killed a few deer with them but wasnt impressed with the damage compared to the muzzys. Last year I tried 3 blade Rage mechanicals. These things are junk in my opinion. By the time I hiked in, got in stand, I would say atleast 1blade on all heads had opened up. This year I went back to the Muzzy heads. Next year I may try the mechanicals from G5.

I have been shooting Grim Reaper RazorTips for a few years now and have never failed me to leave great holes, excellent blood trails and are mechanically sound. I will also have a couple of SlickTrick Viper Tricks in my Cat quiver this season. I have never used these yet on deer because they are new this season but I have no doubt with Slick Tricks reputation that they will perform when I need them to. In the past I have used Stinger Buzzcuts with great results also.

Was a big fixed blade guy for awhile. Tried the "rage" didnt like the loose blades.
Switched up the the reapers an like'm. Their blades lock up and out when needed. They don't bang around in the quiver an open solid. Worked great on turkey in the spring anxious for deer now. Had friends that use'm as well an pleased with results.
Heard about a new one called kill zone or something like that which are supposed to be good to include angled shots. But dont feel like buyin more heads yet.
Fixed I shot the muzzy 3 100gr

I haven't seen it mention so I will throw in what I personally like, magnus stingers. They are a cut to point broadhead, made in american with a bulletproof warranty, are reasonably priced, and they flat out penetrate. With a heavy arrow and a heavy pull you can punch through whitetail shoulders with them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ddossett1976</div><div class="ubbcode-body">German Kintics-Awesome Broadheads </div></div>

German kenetics are awesome I personally have never been able to justify the cost however. Very well made heads forsure though.

I've been using NAP Thunderheads since the late 80's. Over the years I've tried other heads but always come back to the Thunderhead. They fly better than anything else for me and do a good job when they hit the deer.

Rob Opp

For the cost, effectiveness, and flight same as field points. You will not beat the Muzzys (MX-3 100grain)

Killed deer and lion with the muzzy mx3 and have had great results. Watched a buddy kill a 300 lb black bear with the mx4 with equally awesome results. I've shot a ton of mechanicals and have had an issue with all of them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pr0VideR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ddossett1976</div><div class="ubbcode-body">German Kintics-Awesome Broadheads </div></div>

German kenetics are awesome I personally have never been able to justify the cost however. Very well made heads forsure though. </div></div>

All I've used for the last 6 or 7 years. Either 125 or 185 grain depending...
If you hit what you shoot, they aren't that expensive. And, they easily resharpen or hone. They even fly true to an equal weight FP.