• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Buddy K-9 Passed This Week

JSTARSZ

Lefty's Rule
Minuteman
  • Feb 6, 2008
    Wolftown
    A true friend and great dog passed this week. I had him from 8 weeks old until just shy of 12 years. He is a Shiloh Shepherd and I really loved that dog. He just lost the power in his legs in the end and his mind had gone south. I always will remember him as the larger than life personality that he had. He was the watch dog when I was away for my numerous Middle East Deployments. He was always there to welcome me upon my return and was always vigilant to stand watch.

Loving Eyes

Sad to watch the passing but sadder to see the suffering! I will miss you Dakota!

I'm very sorry for your loss. There is no greater friend than a dog, and it's like losing a member of your family when they pass.

I'm sorry to hear about your a tremendous loss, our Shepard is a loved family member too. He was a good looking GSD......Godspeed to your friend.

I'm so sorry to hear, he looked like he was an awesome dog. Your right, it is hard so watch him being put down but know he feels much better now. Prayers to you and your family to help cope with this loss.

I appreciate all the kind words...it is hard to lose this particular dog. He is/was my first Shepherd and I couldn't believe how smart and intuitive he was. He was always on top of his game up to about 10 years and then he started heading down hill for the last two years. It was sad to see such a fine animal pass from vibrant to quiet and sleepy. You could tell it bothered him that he wasn't on his game anymore like we all feel when you get older and start to lose a step in speed or loss of strength. He didn't feel like he could do his job anymore and it hurt his feelings. I have long stories about the great things he did for my family but to keep it short - he was the family protector and did his job.

My condolences. Been in your shoes too many times. Never gets any easier.

I appreciate all the kind words...it is hard to lose this particular dog. He is/was my first Shepherd and I couldn't believe how smart and intuitive he was. He was always on top of his game up to about 10 years and then he started heading down hill for the last two years. It was sad to see such a fine animal pass from vibrant to quiet and sleepy. You could tell it bothered him that he wasn't on his game anymore like we all feel when you get older and start to lose a step in speed or loss of strength. He didn't feel like he could do his job anymore and it hurt his feelings. I have long stories about the great things he did for my family but to keep it short - he was the family protector and did his job.

Why do stories like this make my allergies act up? Sorry for your loss.

One man's theory of getting to heaven, is that all the dogs you ever owned come out to lick your face. Takes the fear out of death for me....god bless.

Beautiful dog, sorry for your loss. I bet he's hanging with you in spirit though.
    everyday and every moment...still tears me up. As he was my first Shepherd, and not going to be my last, he will always have the special part of my heart; kind of like a first girl friend.

JSTARSJ

I'm sorry for your loss he was a good looking dog. I to am going thru the last years of my first GSD. He is getting down in his back legs and I don't think he can hear as good as he used to. He was a free running dog when we lived in the country i'd run free from the time I got home until bedtime. Then about 4 years ago we moved to town to help my mom and grand mother with bills and health stuff. Now he stays in a 30'X30' fenced in area most of the time. I can tell the enclosure and him not running about didn't help his legs none and old age is catching up with him. He loves to ride in the truck, he used to jump in the back even when I didn't want him to. Now he can't even do that, he just looks up at me like hell I can't do that anymore help me up DAD and I do. Not sure how much longer I have with him. It does not look as if he's hurting just slowing down some. I think or hope most of it just stiffness cause after he's been up and about far a little while his gate gets better. And if he see something he wants to run he can still cut out like always just not as often as before. MAybe him (Hyde) and Dakota will meet and play one day at the rainbow bridge until we show up for them.

Just like the Toby Keith song -"I ain't as good as I once was But I'm as good once as I ever was." Dakota always laid a lot of his daytime on my bed and waiting for me to get home to go outside and play. And, he then got to the point where he couldn't jump up there anymore and I would help him up and he could get down on his own. Then, the day came when he just looked at me and said, I can't do that anymore and I don't want help. I will just lay on the floor. As I look back it there was a distinct time when he was almost 10 that his face started to turn gray and he lost "it" - being the top dog. I also have two females at home and until his last days he was still hoping (still tasting pee) that one would go into heat so he could do his job...of course they were spayed so that was never going to happen but he was still hopeful.

JSTARSZ , did Dakota have degenerative myelopathy? My 10 year old GSD who I've had since she was a pup. She was such a close member of the family. I lost her this year as well. DM was what got her.

So sorry for your loss.

JSTARSZ , did Dakota have degenerative myelopathy? My 10 year old GSD who I've had since she was a pup. She was such a close member of the family. I lost her this year as well. DM was what got her.

So sorry for your loss.
    yes he did...he has had issues with his hind legs for about 4-6 months and we were able to help him along but in the end he had "doggie dementia" or whatever they call it that got him. He would just walk in circles and get confused easily and walk into walls, furniture, me..etc. Degenerative myelopathy is hard to watch them go through. If it goes to full fruition they will get incontinent too which is also is hard to deal with.

Dude, I sure feel for you. They're family, they really are, and folks without dogs will never understand. They'll always be missing something grand in life, totally ignorant to the fact they are. Dogs are interesting, they live their lives for us and will give their lives for us too. They don't ask for much and are content with whatever you give them, life's simple for them. Gentle and kind. We have so much to learn from them. And what they do for people who are hurting inside, it's incalculable. Also they say smiling and laughing is good for you. These guys, two dogs and a cat, they always make me smile and laugh, usually first thing in the morning when they all come to say "good morning" in their own ways.

I have a cocker that's been going downhill for a while --their face and fur does change, their attitude does, they slow down a lot. He can't get in the truck anymore, and has trouble getting on and off the bed even with a stool. He's always had health issues, but now he can't do much. He's half blind and deaf and sleeps all day, has had more surgeries than I can count offhand and is on barbiturates for seizures. We got another dog, a setter, and he's my buddy now, we just let the cocker sleep and do whatever he wants --he's been a good dog and this is his retirement.

Puppies always take your mind off things, make you smile and in the process, you get a new friend. He'll never be the same dog, but one day you'll feel the same way about him. I feel for you and wish you the best.

yes he did...he has had issues with his hind legs for about 4-6 months and we were able to help him along but in the end he had "doggie dementia" or whatever they call it that got him. He would just walk in circles and get confused easily and walk into walls, furniture, me..etc. Degenerative myelopathy is hard to watch them go through. If it goes to full fruition they will get incontinent too which is also is hard to deal with.

That's what I had to go though with our lil girl. They are there for us for so long, and always so strong. I could see the embarrassment from Ola when she could not climb the stairs, or when she lost her bladder. I won't go over the details, but I knew when it was time. It's the hardest thing to do, but the best thing for our four legged friends.

This is something she loved to do, just lay in my lap. This was my last day with her, I did not have the normal talking from her, even when I rubbed her ears. She just was breathing heavy and drinking lots of water. We do have another pup, but Ola was one of a kind. I miss her very much to this day.

We had a lady come to the house and put her to rest. Ola had never been to the vet much, and I did not want her to feel like something strange was going on her last day with us. It's honestly not easier when they come to the house, but it felt right in the end.

i0X5xxr.jpg

that was exactly what Dakota did...he was panting very hard and drinking water like crazy. When I went to the vet for his final time I laid his head in my lap as he went to sleep which was the most peaceful I had seen him months.

Dieselgeek, I am truly sorry for your loss too. It is such a hard thing to do...you know the right thing to do but it is still the hardest thing that we as humans have to do. This thread has been very cathartic for me to hear other animal lovers talk about their dogs. Shepherds to me are just such great dogs; they just go too quickly.

JSTARSZ, teribly sorry to hear about your loss. I have often found myself wondering about the dog in your picture, what is his story, and such. Always sure it was a good one, my suspicions confirmed.

RIP Dakota

I know the feeling, its a hard day and in the end you have to do whats best for everyone (canine included). We just put my old boy (GSD X) down earlier in the summer so reading all this is really hitting home again. Someday soon we'll get a new pup but sadly for the next twenty years sometime tells me the dog will bond with the kids and not me. Again I'm sorry and as much as they hurt the memories are the best part!

Sorry for your loss JSTARZ it just hurts like hell. I have had dogs all my life and they all have special memories that bring a lump to my throat as I go through pictures from time to time. It is amazing the understanding they have and how close we get to them, they are truly man's best friend. He is a beautiful boy and will always bring a smile.

Sorry for your loss. Its a shame they cant outlive us. My dog is a better person than Ill ever be.

Sorry for your loss.

Been 2.5yrs since I lost my sierra. It gets easier, but then your mad that it gets easier.

Sorry for your loss man It's never easy with mans best friend
    When the time comes mine will be cremated and will sit on my shelf until my time comes
    and he'll be placed in my pine box so we can be together forever.
    I know it sounds corny but I love my dog more than most humans.

Sorry to hear about the passing of Dakota. For years now I have seen him as your avatar and thus automatically associate him with your posts.

RIP puppy.

Sorry for the loss of your best friend. The wife lost her buddy a few years ago. She emailed me this after I told here about your post, I hope you don't mind me sharing it here.

A Dog’s Last Will & Testament

Before humans die, they write their last will and testament, giving their home and all they have to those they leave behind. If, with my paws, I could do the same, this is what I’d ask…

To a poor and lonely stray I’d give my happy home; my bowl and cozy bed, soft pillow and all my toys; the lap, which I loved so much; the hand that stroked my fur; and the sweet voice that spoke my name.

I’d will to the sad, scared shelter dog the place I had in m human’s loving heart, of which there seemed no bounds.

So, when I die, please do not say, “I will never have a pet again, for the loss and the pain is more than I can stand.”

Instead, go find an unloved dog, one whose life has held no joy or hope, andgive my place to him.

This is the only thing I can give…

The love I left behind.

-Author Unknown

JSTARSZ, I am very sorry for your loss. I lost my Shilo Shepherd about a year and a half ago. He was as you described Dakota to a T, he even looked like him and was the same age. They could have been brothers if Dakota came from a breeder in Chicago. I miss Travis, he was the best watch dog and he kept the coyotes away. He had a unique personality that you had to love, so I know how you feel.

JSTARSZ, I am very sorry for your loss. I lost my Shilo Shepherd about a year and a half ago. He was as you described Dakota to a T, he even looked like him and was the same age. They could have been brothers if Dakota came from a breeder in Chicago. I miss Travis, he was the best watch dog and he kept the coyotes away. He had a unique personality that you had to love, so I know how you feel.
    I got Dakota in Maryland from Danica Kennels who don't breed anymore. I have already spoken to a breeder in Ohio that my daughter used for here two Shiloh's. It takes quite some time to get a Shiloh and it will be about 6-8 months before I get another one and that is about perfect for me. I need that time. The one thing I have noticed is I don't see a lot colors like Dakota anymore as they have moved the Shiloh's to more browns and blacks and also some pure black. And, I have also seen one pure white Shiloh.

SturmHead, what did your Shiloh pass from?

A little funny to cheer ya up

Lot of truth to it too lol..

best-friend.jpg

JSTARSZ, Travis passed from arthritis in the hips for the most part. He was a survivor of 2 different tick borne diseases that the vet didn't expect him to survive. I think the tick diseases were what brought him down so soon. His mind was good, but he just lost the ability to use his hind legs.
    Did Dakota ever howl like a wolf? Travis could send a chill up your spine with a wolf like howl; I think that's why the coyotes stayed away.

JSTARSZ, Travis passed from arthritis in the hips for the most part. He was a survivor of 2 different tick borne diseases that the vet didn't expect him to survive. I think the tick diseases were what brought him down so soon. His mind was good, but he just lost the ability to use his hind legs.
    Did Dakota ever howl like a wolf? Travis could send a chill up your spine with a wolf like howl; I think that's why the coyotes stayed away.
    no he nevered howled. The one funny memory I have of Dakota was we just bought a house in Georgia and I was living in it as they finished the house. The workers got used to walking in and out whenever they wanted/needed to. My wife came down on Saturday with the kids and Dakota who was probably one at the time. That Monday the workers came walking in the house and Dakota rounded the corner and the hair on his back bristled up and he had a very deep intimidating bark and those workers went flying out of the house as fast as they could. They never walked in without knocking again and always asked where is that big dog.

We've got a 75 lb pit bull cross that I picked up off the side of the road at least 8 years ago now; she was a puppy then...she's got a growl like that. A guy came in to service the propane lines in a house we were renting once and I had her shut up in the bed room, the door of which is right near a space heater in a hall. The serviceman was down on his belly looking at a line that came through the floor when she decided to let out a low growl. The old boy low crawled backwards about five feet swearing the entire way. It chokes me up to read stories about dogs having to move on. I had to let my wife (then girlfriend) keep this dog for about a year when my parents and I moved, and I swore up and down I'd never have another dog....but we are all still together and I seem to have softened from that position a bit....she's been a hell of a watchdog and backpacking partner for so long I don't think I'd know how to do without....

I lost my 12yr old GSD it sucks. The great times and loyalty those dogs give can't be typed. Mine had a tumour attached to her spleen.

So sorry for your loss. Sounds to me like U were the master your dog thought U were ..condolences.

Sorry man. I dont know what im going to do when mine goes. If there is a afterlife Im sure Dakota will be there to greet you. Thanks for reminding me that time with a special creature is always short. No more days with a skipped walk!

Last December I came home and found my two German Shephards both dead. It looks like someone tried to break into my house and poisoned both dogs. My female Kaui always watched the house while I was traveling, and the boy, Keno, would travel with me while I was touring drag racing. We went everywhere together, and people loved him. He loved to travel and would sit on the truck until it was time to go.
    Twice, he alerted me to a problem and I had to pull my gun. Luckily, the barking dog scared off the trouble.
    It was a difficult way to loose a pair of best friends. It hit me really hard, and I had a hard time dealing with it. After 5 days, my wife took me to a breeder and we picked up a brother and sister that were just 7 weeks old. They are now 11 months old, and doing great. However, it took me a while to get over the loss. I still miss them, but have two new best friends that love me.
    Time heals all wounds, and the loss of a special dog is not easy. Good luck to you,

Last December I came home and found my two German Shephards both dead. It looks like someone tried to break into my house and poisoned both dogs. My female Kaui always watched the house while I was traveling, and the boy, Keno, would travel with me while I was touring drag racing. We went everywhere together, and people loved him. He loved to travel and would sit on the truck until it was time to go.
    Twice, he alerted me to a problem and I had to pull my gun. Luckily, the barking dog scared off the trouble.
    It was a difficult way to loose a pair of best friends. It hit me really hard, and I had a hard time dealing with it. After 5 days, my wife took me to a breeder and we picked up a brother and sister that were just 7 weeks old. They are now 11 months old, and doing great. However, it took me a while to get over the loss. I still miss them, but have two new best friends that love me.
    Time heals all wounds, and the loss of a special dog is not easy. Good luck to you,
    sorry to hear that...only a severe lowlife would kill dogs like that. There should a very special place in HELL for those kind of people. My wife and I are starting to discuss getting another Shiloh Shepherd but I am not quite ready yet. It may be next spring before I get a puppy. We shall see.

I said the same thing, no more dogs........ I lasted 5 days. Dont close your heart, life is too short.

I am so very sorry for your loss. I lost my beautiful 14.5 year old Border Collie a couple of years ago, and stories like yours reminds me of the incredible love we shared. At times I fear that the awful hole in my heart will never heal. But although it hurts terribly, it would be even worse to have never experienced such love, loyalty, acceptance and complete joy.

Some people say there are no dogs in heaven, and to them I say without dogs it could only be hell.