• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Best Budget 22lr

duotone

Private
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2012
New here.... thanks for having me.

I'm also new to guns, so please be kind.

I'm also a dad, and my son and I started shooting our new Remington 597, which we both enjoy a lot. My son (12) seems to be a natural sniper, and me? It's all I can think about.

I'd like to get a bolt action so I can use CCI quiets, 'cuz I can't afford a suppressor.... and I have my eyes on the Savage Bolts:

Mark II TR or the MARKIIBTVS

What I'd like to know is, are these good rifles for 100yrds? I realize a lot of it has to do with the ammo, and most importantly, the shooter, but if I get the right ammo, and I do my part, how are these rifles?

Secondly, what other suggestions do you have for a newbie, and what other bolt actions do you suggest in the same price range?

Thank you.

Re: Best Budget 22lr

The Savage TR will suit you well. I've shot my Mk2 BV in a TR stock out to 300. At 100 and 200 its simple and great practice. Savage is the best value hands down these days- it's one of few rimfires I've hung onto, and I've let Vostoks and Anschutz's out the door.

will do fine at 100 yards, rimfire accuracy is all about reading wind and having decent ammo.

Ckeck out the CZ bolt 22lr. They are good shooters. Also the Ruger 10/22 are fun to build too.

Regards

Get the TR. Ive shot mine with accuracy to around 300yards. Long range shooting with 22s gets addictive fast.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JAAM12</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ckeck out the CZ bolt 22lr. They are good shooters.
Regards </div></div>

Another vote for the CZ 455, one of the "Varmint" models would be my preference.

-Rick

Hmm. I thought I posted here but it's gone...

I vote CZ.

452 gets you a solid rifle
453 adds set trigger
455 has interchangeable barrels

Varmint in any model is a shorter, heavier, matte finished barrel with a heavier stock.

American is a thinner, blued barrel with a checkered stock.

I have a 453 varmint in .17hmr, and is like shooting a laser beam.

Thanks all.... Seems to be a majority vote to CZ.

Well, time to start shopping.

Anyone every use one of those M&P 15-22 for longer range shooting?

One other thing... since I'm new to this, I'm wondering what it is about the barrel that makes it good / shoot straight / long?

Thanks

Accuracy comes from a barrel that is free of defects and made of quality materials.

Distance or range is a by product of velocity.

I agree with some of the above: CZ bolts are great.

For cheap semi-auto, look at the Marlin 60 with the stainless barrel.. super fun!