• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best "budget" barrel for 5.56 AR?

RichS

Private
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2001
PG County Maryland
Okie dokie,
I got sidetracked last year with family stuff, and earlier this year when MD re-interpreted their shitty AR law to add that AR lowers are OK, I decided to build an AR pistol, while I still could. Once again, I'm looking at doing a budget precision AR build. I'm still not sure as to whether I want a 16" or 18". I don't have access to anything over 200 yards currently, so I guess a 16" would be just fine. Any reason to go with an 18" over a 16"? Also, I don't reload (yet). Anyway, the barrels I'm looking at all seem to be within the same ballpark as far as pricing goes. There seems to be tons of new makers lately, but currently I'm looking at.....

WOA (of course)
Odin Works
Lothar Walther
CLE
ThunderBolt LLC (aka Denny's)
BHW
ARP
Ballistic Advantage
Seekins
Nordic

Thoughts?

If you're never going beyond 200( or anything <500) then there's no benefit IMO to a longer barrel. As for a "budget precision" you have to really outline your idea of budget since cheap and precision are not really related. I'd look heavily at WOA, Rainier Arms Ultramatch (Shilen blanks worked over by WOA), and Kreiger would be the top 3 choices for me. I'm currently using the 18" Rainier Arms Ultramatch w/ intermediate gas and it's gone accurately out to 905yds with 77gr SMK.

IS there any accuracy reviews on these floating around? Some google fu didnt turn up much.

If you're never going beyond 200( or anything <500) then there's no benefit IMO to a longer barrel. As for a "budget precision" you have to really outline your idea of budget since cheap and precision are not really related. I'd look heavily at WOA, Rainier Arms Ultramatch (Shilen blanks worked over by WOA), and Kreiger would be the top 3 choices for me. I'm currently using the 18" Rainier Arms Ultramatch w/ intermediate gas and it's gone accurately out to 905yds with 77gr SMK.

Oh, I hear you on the budget thing....once upon a time (before kids, house, etc) I had the GAP rifle. I figure I already have the lower with match trigger etc, VLTOR upper receiver, and furniture. So "all" I need is the barrel, rail, scope (leaning towards Vortex or Burris 1-4X), and mounts.

I took one of these and cut it down to 18" and run it for 3 gun. One moa accurate with about anything I have found to put through it. Plus it's chrome lined so it last. To put into terms what last means... 10k rounds this year.

Oh, I hear you on the budget thing....once upon a time (before kids, house, etc) I had the GAP rifle. I figure I already have the lower with match trigger etc, VLTOR upper receiver, and furniture. So "all" I need is the barrel, rail, scope (leaning towards Vortex or Burris 1-4X), and mounts.

I would choose Vortex personally...

I like a rifle length tube with rifle length port. 750 diameter from end cap to muzzle and about one inch diameter under handguards to barrel extension. I like 1 in 7 twist too. With this profile/length/twist I have the basis for accuracy using as issued irons at LR with high b.c. bullets. I have not encountered a consequence to having a barrel considered too long/heavy for any real or imagined compactness benefit. I do know however that the longer barrel, longer sight radius, and fast twist will help me get a bullet to a greater distance nose-on than could a shorter barrel. and that such benefit outweighs having a compact configuration. I get all of my barrels from CLE, usually Douglas stainless blanks, turned by Frank to my order and chambered for .223 and fitted with adjustable A-frame in proper height for either use on A2 or A4 upper. Add a float tube and you've got a very capable gun.

You may not have an LR pursuit, but even at the short line, your understanding for where the barrel is pointed will be improved with the longer sight radius of the rifle length barrel. Using a small aperture you will also be able to get sharp focus on the front post, as well as have a defined target, thus eliminating a need for optic.

Last edited:
Rifle length gas will give you a softer cycling rifle, last longer and be (slightly) more accurate than a 16".

I worked on the design of the Nordic barrel, so I can tell you a bit more about it. The gas port diameter is reduced so that you are no so over-gassed. However, if you run a FA BCG with a rifle buffer, you may have cycling trouble. If that is what you want to run, drilling out the gas port (which Nordic does NC) is simple. The chamber is .223 Wylde (you can get .223 Rem, but I would not), but it is cut so that you won't have function issues at 200-300 rounds like some other match grade barrels. We literally run them over 1K without issue. It is optimized for 69 grain bullets, but does run down to 50s and up to 77s well, all under 1MOA with quality ammo. 0.3-0.5 MOA is pretty typical with these barrels and 69s. We shot these head to head on identical builds with several of those on your list. Until you leave "Budget" and go to a Bartlein, Satern or Kreiger, you would be hard pressed to do better.

Have you seen HM defense? I have one of their AR pistols enroute should be here Thursday. I've got one of their sister companies rifles (Luxus) and it shoots very good for what it is.

Just say no to dpms barrels. I have seen all kinds of issues without of spec chambers. I hate dpms

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk