• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best budget beat through the woods rifle

BrettSass844

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2009
Germantown, OHIO
Looking to get a rifle I can take through dense brush and heavy wooded areas. Not wanting to spend to much, its mostly for a trip I am taking in November. Will be after black bear and whitetail. So it has to be a versitale caliber. Have been looking at the obvious Rem, Savage, Mossberg, and was sightly considering a 30-30 lever. The range of the 30-30 is a concern if a longer open shot were to present itself. As for the others I was thinking 30-06. Any thoughts???

Re: Best budget beat through the woods rifle

Savage!!!! or if you want to save a few more bills get a Stevens, which is made by Savage. Savage/Stevens has the best factory barrel and should easily be 1 moa capable or better.

I think you can find Stevens for less than $300 if you really dig around. Sure, a 30 cal. Government '1906 cartridge would do, but why not get a 7 or 30 cal magnum? You'll have all the long range you need, and plenty of "pole-ax'm" in the tight quarters of the brush. It could be your go-to scratch it up big game rifle in general, with long range elk or bigger critter capability, and it of course will flip a white tail off like a switch.

2 cents worth,
Tres

Unless it was a choice between rocks and the .30-30...I would absolutely NOT want a .30-30 for black bear.

A lever action rifle is an excellent idea though. Something along the lines of a Marlin 1895 in .45-70. You get to run 400gr+ loads for larger game like bear, etc. and you can also run lighter weight loads like the Hornady LeveRevolution for deer out to 250yds. I have had great luck with the LeveRevolution on deer and I have hunted with the .45-70 all over the world. It is an excellent performer on a huge range of game.

The .30-06 is also an excellent choice. You could probably find a Remington 700 beater for cheap (one that has been drug through the woods, but not shot very much). You get a caliber that has taken just about every imagineable game on every continent with a huge variety of ammunition choices suited to your needs.

One word of caution, do your homework on whether there are any caliber restrictions where you'll be hunting. I think you'll be okay with a .30-06 for deer/bear about anywhere, but some states can be picky about minimum caliber requirements for large game like bear.

Your max range will likely dictate the best caliber for your particular hunting needs. If you need more than 200-250yds, I'd go with something other than a lever action rifle.

Remngton 7400 or 7600 short carbine in .30-06 have killed a gob of deer.

I was going to say SKS till I got to the part about Bear.

ORD has some good advice about finding an old beater 30-06 Remington 700. Probably cheaper than a Big Bore lever gun also.

These are black bears he is talking about, not grizzlies or browns. A 30-30 is enough for them, especially with a 170 grain bullet. Excellent penetration and the soft point design makes for good expansion.
Countless black bears have been taken with .41 mag and .44 mag pitols and they offer far less power and penetration than the 30-30.
A slick handling 30-30 with a good aperture sight set-up would be an excellent choice for brush hunting black bear.
The afore mentioned 45-70 or the .450 marlin would also be outstanding choices.
I would also seriouly look at the remington pump or semi-auto in .308 with the polymer furniture.

I agree about the Marlin guide gun in .45-70, but he said on the cheap side......

Remmy & Ruger bolt rifles would be fine but most likely a Stevens brand spankin new could be had likely for less $ or the same than a used Remmy or Ruger, and still have a better barrel.A used Savage would be cheaper than a used Rem or Rug too in most cases & places.

Remmy 7400 or 7600? I'm glad you got one that works Conrad but for every one that works the trend seems to be the next 10 consecutive serials numbers of the same give all sorts of problems, with the most dangerous being they go off when the bolt slams home.

I dont' see how a Savage or Stevens can be beaten in this scenario with 10 big men wielding 10 big hickory limbs.

My Remington 7600 in 30-06 works fine in the crappy weather of the VT mountains. By one on gunbroker cheap.

500 bucks gets you a 450 marlin. If that wont kill it your doing something wrong.

About the Rem 7600 ... I'm no longer a Remington fan after being bent over four times last year by their stellar quality and customer service, but I own/have owned a few of the 760/7600s in .270 and 30-06 and they are incredibly durable and very, very accurate. The 742/750 however is another story. The older 742s I have owned or that friends have owned were good rifles as long as they were cleaned properly. Otherwise they were jam-o-matics. The 750 seems to be problematic even when maintained.

So ... 7600 good. 750 baaaaad.
laugh.gif

But again, the suggestions on Stevens or Marlin XS for a build base are good ones. Can't beat them for the money. I'm building on an XS7 right now and I simply love the thing. The accuracy is pretty surprising. They also take Savage barrels as long as your smith checks the headspace and faces the chamber as needed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Conrad101st</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Remngton 7400 or 7600 short carbine in .30-06 have killed a gob of deer. </div></div>

Just what I was thinking!
DSC00116.jpg

I saw the comments about malfunctions on the 7600. We've been lucky, the top and bottom rifles are old 760's the middle is a 7600. We've had good luck so far.
DSC00115.jpg

Whats your thoughts on the Marlins 30-30? And their 308 and 338 Marlin express models. I guess the only downfall is the ammo selection. But the one that is offered is good I guess...

My Dad used a Marlin 30-30 for years and killed most of his deer with it. I'd have a Marlin still if it wasn't such a PITA to load and unload. I used one some when I was a kid. They'll roll a deer or a hog, no sweat. Never hunted bear and I don't have any knowledge or experience with the Extended Range stuff/pointy bullets from Marlin but everything I've read about them "sounds" encouraging.
Start hitting the pawn shops and see if something "speaks to ya"
A Marlin 30-30 with a very low end variable (2x7) will do you well in any WOODS in the country.
My personal feeling for an everyday hunting rig/truck rifle is chose an action you're really comfortable shooting accurately, in a rifle you don't mind beating the piss out of, in a caliber that you can get shells at Wal-Mart that will shoot "minute of deer". Nothing like being 2 days from home and 2 hours from ANYWHERE and getting caught short.
The top rifle with the matte finish, spent 9 days in the Backwater once. Hosed it off, let the stocks dry out and put a different scope on it and kept rolling. Like I said, something you don't mind beating the piss out of.

I'm not up on Remington quality anymore. I bought my 7400 in 1983 and it shoots awful good. I gave it to my mom when I went to 300 win mag for all my big game rifles. She smokes one every year usually and 165 corelocks kill the heck out of deer. Never shot black bear, but it wouldn't worry me one bit.

Check out the Tikka T3 if you want something light weight that is also a great shooter. Priced for around $500. You can get them in a variety of calibers.

I was going to shout "Ruger Md 44" (or 96) but questionable for black bear.

why not use your savage 308?? you look like a strong young man, lol. savage does make a nice 30.06 with a light contour barrel in a short enough length to make it a good brush gun. and also did you see that stock link i sent you?

You didn't say if your going to scope it? A 303 Enfield or 8mm Mauser? Both cheap,very reliable,and both will drop black bear??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BrettSass844</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking to get a rifle I can take through dense brush and heavy wooded areas. Not wanting to spend to much, its mostly for a trip I am taking in November. Will be after black bear and whitetail. So it has to be a versitale caliber. Have been looking at the obvious Rem, Savage, Mossberg, and was sightly considering a 30-30 lever. The range of the 30-30 is a concern if a longer open shot were to present itself. As for the others I was thinking 30-06. Any thoughts??? </div></div>

Really....how old are you and do you post on ARFcom?????

If I were going to buy a new beater it would be between a Savage or the TC Venture.
I don't know about the stock on the TC but it looks like a really good deal for the $400+ price range.

I agree! Why not use your Sav .308? Especially if you hand load. If you got a 10 twist load some 200 grainer or even 220 round nose bullets at or near max (work up with caution) and never look back.

Yes a Marlin mod. 336 lever in 30-30 is a fine brush gun with plenty for black bear. Lot's of black bears have been killed with .38's back in the day by guys running hunting dogs.

Otherwise, if you really meant "for not much money" :
Stevens 30-06 for $311 new
Steven's 300 win mag for $317

but sks sniper rifle is king of the woods yo. ask dolph lundgren man. put you a countersniper on that dustcover rail and mount a purple laser. then hose clamp on a flashlight for those nighttime operations.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">but sks sniper rifle is king of the woods yo. ask dolph lundgren man. put you a countersniper on that dustcover rail and mount a purple laser. then hose clamp on a flashlight for those nighttime operations. </div></div>

Awesome! Is CAI selling those?

I know a lot of things have been killed by the .30-30 over the years, I even killed my first deer with one. That said, You could not give me one if I had to use factory ammo for it. This last season, my cousin and I went out to his stand for the afternoon, he wound up shooting a doe at about forty yds. standing broadside to us.

It was getting dark, he tried for the neck shot, and hit her high in the side just aft of the neck. Bullet penetrated 3-4 inches of back loin(damn!), hit the spine, then made a 90-degree turn and traveled right down the exact center of the loin on the same side as entry(double damn!). It shed the jacket at the spine, and the rest of it lodged in the entry side rear quarter. End result: One doe that had to be put down with a secind shot to the head, and 1 loin and a good portion of one rear quarter ruined. Not to mention two pissed-off hunters. I should have loaned him My Guide Gun instead. I could not believe the erratic behavior of that round. What a joke. I get chuckled at for using .45-70 on deer, but they drop in their tracks and you can eat right up to the hole with the Remington 405gr. Trapdoor load I use. For ranges over two hundred yards, I switch to my .308. Nothing flashy, but the combo works for anything in the lower 48 under any conditions I am likely to hunt in.

For a walking around gun, I use the Guide Gun for brush and woods, and the .308 boltgun for beanfields, desert, or mountain hunting. The .308 is a Remington Mountain Guide SS .308 with a 2.5-8x36 Leupold. Weighs less than seven pounds ready to go, and will put the first two rounds sub-moa, with the third opening things up to just over MOA. Never seem to need more than one shot anyway, two at the most, so the lightweight is the way to go. A good boltgun in .308 is plenty for anything short of a charging grizzly, and I guess if that's what I had when my day went to hell that bad, we'd find out how good a 165gr. TSX worked on grizzly. If I could only have one rifle, it would be a .308 in a bolt action sporter configuration. It seems to be the most utilitarian rifle/cartridge combo I've found. YMMV.

i would get you hands on as many compact rifles as possible , if you can shoot them even better . see what feels good in your hands and what swings naturaly to your shoulder . having a gun that fits you is what will let you make snap shots [along with practice ]win. savage/stevens rem ,tikka , sako, t/c all good guns find one that fits you in 243 or larger , most wont admit it but really dont shoot mags well in light rifles . get a standard caliber , shoot .

Man, this thread has definately gone down hill since I started typing this reply a couple hours ago (I know...... my daughter called). Since when has Remmy not been offering sub moa rifles from the factory? Where the hell have you all been for the last 50 years? Now, finally, for the last few years (after for the most part giving us nothing but cheap shit for years) Savage has been offering sub moa rifles and thier fans think thier the only ones that do it. BTW, a sub moa rifle dosn't shoot sub moa every once in a while, its a BIT better than that, consistantly. The two factory Remmy's I have are easily sub moa and my two shooting pards also own one each and thats not counting the 40X '06 owned by one that is shall we say, significantly better
wink.gif
. Anyway, hit the pawn shops checking out all the (later model) Savages, Winchester 70's, Remmy 700's, and yes even Rugers for a good 308 or 30'06. Some may look a little rough but look at the bore, a lot probably dont have more than a couple hundred rounds through them at the most because they were hunting rifles. If they've had a little oil drug through the bore after hunting season, they're probably alright. Like was said earlier, there are other calibers that may work well for you too if the law allows for black bear, 7mm comes to mind or any of the 30 cal mags but the mags power isn't needed. JMO. Sounds like an enjoyable problem to solve. Have fun and good luck.

okie

Long story short I plan on using this rifle in places I would not want to drag my 308 into. Thick dense woods have taken a toll on my deer slug gun over the past few years and I figured I would be better off spend a few hundred bucks for a new rifle that better suited these needs. Not to mention odds of a 100 + yard shot where I go in ohio, mizz, and arkansas are not likely. More likely in mizz and I will be using my 308 depending on the location I hunt this coming year. I think I have narrowed it down to a lever action. Caliber I am still unsure. I am waiting on my dealer to get back with me for prices on the 308 and 338 marlin express. I appreciate everyones help and input. Its nice to have a resource like this!

If you want a lever gun, I would say get one in 35 Remington. That is a GREAT woods gun. I carried one with me down in the Ozarks.

Also there are a Metric Ass Ton of 98 Mausers chambered in 35 Whelen, 8mm-06, 30-06, 284, etc etc. I've seen them on GB go from 300 bucks with optics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cjgemm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Marlin 336 in 35 rem or 30 30. </div></div>

Exactly!!! 170's in .30-30 or 200grainers in .35 Rem is good black bear medicine.

Marlin 1895MXLR in .45-70 or .450 Marlin. Done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BrettSass844</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking to get a rifle I can take through dense brush and heavy wooded areas. Not wanting to spend to much, its mostly for a trip I am taking in November. Will be after black bear and whitetail. So it has to be a versitale caliber. Have been looking at the obvious Rem, Savage, Mossberg, and was sightly considering a 30-30 lever. The range of the 30-30 is a concern if a longer open shot were to present itself. As for the others I was thinking 30-06. Any thoughts??? </div></div>

Brett, in your original post you were concerned about the range of the 30 30. The 35 Rem wont be much better at distance. However you also said later that you wouldn't be taking shots at 100+ very often, either of these cartraiges would easily handle that plus some. Of course, all of the big bore lever guns will handle that chore quite well also. I think your biggest problem will be finding a good lever gun for the price you're thinking. For the "not wanting to spend much?" I'm still thinkin good , solid 308 or '06 bolt gun. Sometimes though, after we think about it a bit, our parimeters change
smile.gif
. Hope you enjoy whatever choice you make.

okie

Ever thought about a pistol for dense woods? 500 s&w? A nice pistol would work good for quit movements, where you cant swing that barrel around... If you dont want the pistol, +1 for the marlin!

well now if were talking pistol on the "cheap" , so long as your not in grizzly country- a glock G20 in 10mm is the ultimate cheapish backcountry autoloader...especailly after dropping in a 6" barrel...

how bout a savage model 99 in 308 or 300 savage neat lever gun with a box mag for those fancy ballistic tips. you can get a used (they don't make them anymore unfortuniately) from 350 to 600. I used to have one dont know why i sold that gun wish i didn't now.

For real budget you might look at a Mosin Nagant M38 or M44.
Near 30-06 power in a short, handy carbine. If you use the M44 you even have a handy bayonet for sticking things or roasting marshmallows.

Outdone by G5!

Great idea for a budget beater beast rifle.

Marlin 336 in 30-30, Marlin 308 Express or 35rem
Winchester 94 in 30-30
Browning BLR in 308
Marlin XL7
Tikka T3

Those are my choices based no your parameters and for anyone who says a 30-30 cant shoot to 300yds has not used Leverevolution ammo.

If I was taking the trip the OP is talking about... I'd have the Browning BLR '81 in 358 Winchester... I love that caliber for some reason...

Mine is a Remington 788 in .308 Win., shootin 180gr. SGK's,set in a Ram-Line Synthetic stock, sprayed w/vehicle undercoating. The optics are a Vortex StrikeFire atop an EGW rail. Works for me.....you said "budget beater"....