• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Best budget glass for ar10

Jmccracken1214

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 10, 2018
    Thomasville, NC
    Just picked up a psa ar10 and throwing a BA 6.5 barrel on it... looking for lower power glass, 2-10,-3-15 or similar. As much as I’d like to add a 4th MK5 to the stables, I’d like to stay under $700 for the glass on this rifle.

what are some of my options ? I also qualify for military discount if any companies offer that and would get me in the price range.

thanks!

Stay tuned. Sportoptics.com is going to have something you'll be interested in next week

Reactions: drewthebrave
    Our GLx 4-16x50FFP Rifle Scope is calibrated for 6.5 creedmoor and we do offer a Mil/Leo discount as well. Simply sight in at 100 yards and you are ready to engage at any range out to 1,000 yards with crosswinds up to 20 mph, all without requiring any math or touching a single turret.
    PA-GLX-4-16X50F-ACSS-APOLLO-65CR-224V-01.jpg

Maybe not the newest and coolest, but I have always loved my SWFA SS3-9s and have several on guns that fall in that same sorta-DMR category. They don't have illumination or christmas tree reticles, but the glass is quite good for the price and the turrets are very reliable/repeatable.

I've haven't run any Arken optics, so cannot compare, but the SS is my go-to for a semi-precision gasser. Or if you can double the budget, the Nightforce 2.5-10 is great, but it is a big jump, I know.

And don't skimp on the mount, that is a big part of whether you like an optic on an AR or do not.

Reactions: eugevita
    Optic for AR-10 you say?

AR-10s are one of the hardest rifle platforms on optics due to the mass of the BCG. When the bolt slams into the breech, followed by the huge carrier slamming into the barrel extension, it sends resonant shock waves through the receiver, scope mount, and into the optic that like to rattle optical modules, elements, and gears past the breaking point. If they are low-ball price point optics designed to sell to people who will not be shooting much with the rifles, the AR-10 and SCAR-17 are great at showing the weaknesses of those types of scopes.

The AR-10 is not kind to scope internals:

iu

My personal rule of thumb is to go with either Viper PST Gen II minimum, Razor, or NightForce. If the optical lenses and modules are not epoxied in, gears are of lower brass quality, and springs don’t return to tempered state, the AR-10 will wiggle these weaknesses out for you.

It’s not what people want to hear, but just my preference after shooting AR-10s almost 20 years now.

Optic for AR-10 you say?

AR-10s are one of the hardest rifle platforms on optics due to the mass of the BCG. When the bolt slams into the breech, followed by the huge carrier slamming into the barrel extension, it sends resonant shock waves through the receiver, scope mount, and into the optic that like to rattle optical modules, elements, and gears past the breaking point. If they are low-ball price point optics designed to sell to people who will not be shooting much with the rifles, the AR-10 and SCAR-17 are great at showing the weaknesses of those types of scopes.

The AR-10 is not kind to scope internals:

iu

My personal rule of thumb is to go with either Viper PST Gen II minimum, Razor, or NightForce. If the optical lenses and modules are not epoxied in, gears are of lower brass quality, and springs don’t return to tempered state, the AR-10 will wiggle these weaknesses out for you.

It’s not what people want to hear, but just my preference after shooting AR-10s almost 20 years now.
    If a Gen 2 viper can handle it, the bushnell should be fine,