• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best bullets for a .260 Gasser?

ReaperDriver

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 5, 2009
    Vegas Baby!
    Has anyone shot Berger 140 Hybrids or 139 Scenars in a .260 Gas gun? My go to bullet is the 130 AR Hybrids, but I'm about to run out and they are hard to find right now. However, I've got plenty of the 140s Hybrids and 139 Scenars. I was just afraid the bullets would be too long for mag length seating depths and not have the bullet deep in the case and run into donut issues.

If the answer is yes to either, got any recommended loads for either bullet? Gan gun loads only please.

TIA.

Last edited:
    I had really good luck with the Sierra 120 and 123 Matchkings. The 107s were ok, but the wind beat them up pretty bad.

Using Scenar-l 136 gr. First round of load development, was right over 1 moa. Little tweaking think they should be good to go. Running those in a 20" LMT.

I run a LaRue .260 with a 22" barrel. It likes the Lapua 136 and 139s, and the 140gr class (Hornady 140 and 142 SMKs). I just had to lower the charge a bit to keep it in the 2775 - 2800fps range, which this rifle seems to luv. The Hornady factory 130gr ELD-Ms are also incredibly consistent. Sorry, no experience with Bergers.

Thank you. I’ve been wanting to try the 139s and see how they doI can’t seem to find any 136 Scenar-L.

I’m running a 22” JP. if you don’t mind, can you share your load for the 139s? Powder, charge wt, brass, OAL, etc?

Thank you. I’ve been wanting to try the 139s and see how they doI can’t seem to find any 136 Scenar-L.

I’m running a 22” JP. if you don’t mind, can you share your load for the 139s? Powder, charge wt, brass, OAL, etc?
    I'm heading to the range, so I'll have to look it up when I get back tonight.

Reactions: ReaperDriver
    Cool, sounds good. Hope the range session goes well.
    All I can find for right now:

42.1grns of H4350 with the 130gr Hornady ELD-M was giving me 2810fps.

41.5grns of H4350 with the Lapua 136 Scenar-L was giving me 2770fps.

Both loads were consistently sub-MOA. Both loads were shot at temps in the high 70's. IIRC, both loads were hard on the brass due to being shot in a gasser.

I run prime 130’s in mine with great success. I believe but don’t quote me the bullet is a SMK

My 6.5's (Grendel/260) run with Speer 90gr TNT, 120gr Gold Dot, and 140gr Gold dot. The lighter two with the Grendel, all three with the 260 (which is a bolt gun). They're accurate, have excellent terminal performance, and tend to be affordable. Finding them is the chore; I usually check the Speer site daily, and I buy directly from them. They are a shorter bullet with less powder intrusion, and can be seated to mag length limits and shoot well. The bullet base is rebated, which allow some recovery of BT type performance that is lost in cutting back on the bullet tail. I would recommend the .264 120gr for the 260 as a starter. Consider the max 140gr load charges as starter loads for the 120's. H-4350 has always been my 260/140grbullet/powder, around 43-43.5gr. Hit 'em right, and they go down.

Here's the Speer Load Data app. I like 8208-XBR with the Grendel, and find my pet loads slightly below published max charge.

Midway back order info.

I shoot in the SE SE AZ around 4350FT ASL, and effective BC grows considerably. My ambient air pressure runs at around 85% of sea level. Mach 1 is about 15-20FPS lower as well.

IMHO, the key disadvantage of rounds like the 260 in a Semi has been the restrictions on OAL due to mag length, and the somewhat longer neck than the 6.5G. The Speer Gold Dot Rifle bullets are configured in a manner that copes with those restrictions more conveniently.

Greg

Last edited:
    139, 136 or 123 Scenar
    123, 130 or 142 SMK

140 hybrids, the ogive profile isn’t a great match to feed ramps and puts bullet deeper in case due to magazine constraint on OAL.

What powder(s) are available?