• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best bullets per price point and availability for 0.264?

frost1235

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2018
Where it snows
I’m about to debarred my action and have am now deciding on what bullets to load for 6.5CM. Specifically looking to purchase ~2500 bullets so availability isn’t such a high issue now.

I was running Nosler custom competition 140gr until I burned the throat out of the barrel with no issues. (My G7 BC was 0.282 out to 1100 yards.) Price point and availability was superb, and is still a key factor in what I am looking for.

For the new barrel, I was heavily considering Hornady ELD-M , then SMK in 140, and maybe 130 grains. (I am NOT considering A-tips/Berger’s for the issue of price/low stock.)

Any reason NOT to switch bullets?

- I do plan on competing more, and from my calculations, I would go below supersonic at 1261 yards with the Nosler, and 1386 yards with the eld with an estimated G7 of 0.310.

-Get more cheap bullets and train rather than rely on BC?

Look at the Match Monster line at Midsouth. Supposed to be bulk repackaged Custom Competitions.

I’m about to debarred my action and have am now deciding on what bullets to load for 6.5CM. Specifically looking to purchase ~2500 bullets so availability isn’t such a high issue now.

I was running Nosler custom competition 140gr until I burned the throat out of the barrel with no issues. (My G7 BC was 0.282 out to 1100 yards.) Price point and availability was superb, and is still a key factor in what I am looking for.

For the new barrel, I was heavily considering Hornady ELD-M , then SMK in 140, and maybe 130 grains. (I am NOT considering A-tips/Berger’s for the issue of price/low stock.)

Any reason NOT to switch bullets?

- I do plan on competing more, and from my calculations, I would go below supersonic at 1261 yards with the Nosler, and 1386 yards with the eld with an estimated G7 of 0.310.

-Get more cheap bullets and train rather than rely on BC?

Nosler RDF 140 gr. .330 G7 and very consistent. They are on sale at MIdway USA for $128 for 500.

Does Hornady still make the Horn.Match 140 gr.BTHP? I hope they do. 500 is #263355 Horn #
All of the bullets, shoot better than me, usually. but Have shot a lot of these over the years at lower cost.
I have Nice bullets too for when I need them. Regards, FM

Reactions: Average guy
I have had good luck with Hornady ELDM and Nosler RDF in that weight. Both are about the same price and seem to be generally available. I would buy several boxes of 100 and check them out before buying 2500 though.

Does Hornady still make the Horn.Match 140 gr.BTHP? I hope they do. 500 is #263355 Horn #
All of the bullets, shoot better than me, usually. but Have shot a lot of these over the years at lower cost.
Yep, I dont shoot em but have seen Mike use em many times on the 1000 yd. Line. They work just fine.

Reactions: Average guy
No testing to see if the new barrel has a preference before buying 2500 bullets?

This is good advice. That said, I have ran 142SMKs in thirteen 6.5x284 and two 6.5x47s and they shoot great in everything. They may not be the new hotness, but they're a solid shooter in a lot of different barrels.

yes and I’m thinking of going back to them now that my 260 does have to cover the really long stuff anymore.

my first hits at 1000 were with that bullet.

Bullet choice is not the place to be cheap. Choose a proven performer and pay what they cost. That being said, different barrels will shoot some bullets better than others for no apparent reasons.

The differences in cost for 2500 bullets will probably be less than $100.

I shoot a lot of Hornady 140 match. Trying some 147 Eldm now. So far I’m impressed with them

Buddy is working up a load with Barnes match burners that is looking very promising

I really like the 147’s but I’m still having one go wonky in flight every once in a while
I had them up around 2940 yesterday. Going to back it down to 2850-2875 range hopefully. I was seeing some pressure signs up that high

Hornady 147, 6.5 CM, LAPUA, CCI450. Around 41 gr H4350. Speeds around 2745. NEVER had one disappear ?. I have loaded over 5000 in the last two years. No reason change.

Reactions: clcustom1911