• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Best CALL for NV ‘Yote Hunting?

TheHorta

Nest-stirring pot-poker.
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 17, 2014
    NO AL
    I’m looking for answers to two related questions:

1) What TYPE of call brings in the ‘yotes best? Prey / Distressed sounds or other ‘yote / pack sounds?

2) What MFG/Model works best? I’d like one that can be easily carried in a small backpack on foot and, if you’re really on your game, one cost/size no object game call that would be stored in a Ranger?

We've had good luck with Foxpro Shockwave and Lucky Duck Revolt. The remote on the Revolt is trash compared to the Foxpro remote but L.D. upgraded the remote with their new Roughneck call and its supposed to be really nice.

As far as sounds we have used Foxpro, Lucky Duck (which I think are Rick Paillet), and Boss Predator Acoustic. I would say that we had the best luck with L.D and Boss sounds as everyone and their brother has a foxpro and seemed to have educated our yotes quite well.

For sounds, coyote vocals have been very effective for us the last couple of years. But we mix it up a lot, until we find out what's working in that area on that night. Don't be afraid to try different sounds and volumes.

Last edited:
    • Love
    Reactions: TheHorta
    I've had good luck with icotec gc320

It's a very simple unit that doesn't have a computer screen on it, but a quick easy way to light up the buttons if need be. I pretty much know the few buttons I want so don't normally need to light it up. Has a decoy built in which I've had a couple bobcats stay entertained with for about ten minutes watching it flail about. Also small enough I can take the handle and stick it through my belt and take off hiking.

I've had better luck with prey sounds for bobcats, and foxes. Better luck with howls for coyote

Ordered the GC320 Gen2. Cheap at $160 Amazon Prime. Will give it a go. Seems like a decent in-between compromise for size/weight and features.

Probably the new FoxPro X2s. Small, light, great remote, and it includes a stand.

For sounds, it depends on time of year and what trigger/instinct you want to appeal to on a coyote. I kill more coyotes with coyote vocalizations than prey distress but I've been calling coyotes for more than 30 years. If a new coyote hunter asks me, I would probably recommend some type of bird, rodent, or rabbit distress sound to start off with. If calling at night, a coyote is naturally hunting, so prey distress should be a good choice.

Ordered the GC320 Gen2. Cheap at $160 Amazon Prime. Will give it a go. Seems like a decent in-between compromise for size/weight and features.
    It's a decent little set up I think. It's got enough calls to cover what you need, but doesn't have all the ability to program hunts or download Willy Nelson's best coyote call...

It's small enough to carry around, and cheap enough I don't mind throwing it in the mud or hanging it from a tree limb for a coyote to snatch off and run with

Only complaint I can think of is the remote used an oddball battery 23A or 21/23 .... Something like that
    Everything else was normal... Like AA If memory serves

1st ?- Depends on the time of year, so you get a call with plenty of sounds and/or downloadable sounds available.
    I always start with different type of animal distress calls and switch around to different calls depending on the time of the year.
    It's like fishing, you switch lures and bait till you find what they like.
    I use pups in distress (PID)after shooting at/shooting one.
    If you miss, I've seen them stop in their tracks after switching to PID, giving another shot opportunity.
    I've also had others come in minutes after shooting one with the PID call.
    2nd ?- Depends on the area and terrain your hunting.
    Out west, very loud call.
    Everywhere else, really any type of call that's pretty loud.
    A must is a call that's remote controlled and some type of moving decoy accessory, if hunting during the day time.
    I've been using a Fox pro wildfire2 for years.
    I have the detachable decoy attachment for it and a separate mojo decoy, though it's been awhile since I've hunted varmints during the day.
    In the early days, before I had access to and money to purchase NV + Thermal gear, and way before electric calls came out, I used modified turkey mouth calls and an ice fishing pole with a couple of weighted pheasant wings tied on.
    I would loop it over a branch 20 yards away for some live action.
    I still carry mouth calls in my pack, as anything electronic is bound to fail.
    I'm jealous and sorry for hunters today, as the amount of gear choices is so overwhelming, it's sometimes hard to make a choice.
    It might be easier to close your eyes, move the mouse around and click on an item.

SJC

I’m looking for answers to two related questions:

1) What TYPE of call brings in the ‘yotes best? Prey / Distressed sounds or other ‘yote / pack sounds?

2) What MFG/Model works best? I’d like one that can be easily carried in a small backpack on foot and, if you’re really on your game, one cost/size no object game call that would be stored in a Ranger?
    Whatever your neighbors aren't using...lip squeaks work great

Calls are so location dependent it's hard to say definitively.

IME, coyote calls for locating, distress calls for bringing them in. It also depends on whether the local coyotes have a PHD, or are the young GED types. This is usually driven by the time of year. Spring=lots of dumb ones...Fall=you better be on your game.

Like some of the other post's mention. There are a lot of variables. I have found in September and October it doesn't matter what sound I use and the standard rabbit in distress will pull them in. Later in the season the coyotes have been shot at and educated, that is when you have to do the oddball sounds. I have a Foxpro fusion for ease of packing if I am going on big hikes but for a truck or SXS caller the shockwave is my go to. I did a deal through Cabelas where my son and I went and toured Foxpro, custom calls with the whole library and two night hunting with them and a great time so I am a little partial.
    Customer service and American made is a big deal with me. Years ago I bought a Foxpro something for real cheap because the remote was taken apart by the seller in an attempt to fix it and it was in a ziploc bag. I sent it in an within a week it was back with no charge. I couldn't believe it.

Calls are so location dependent it's hard to say definitively.

IME, coyote calls for locating, distress calls for bringing them in. It also depends on whether the local coyotes have a PHD, or are the young GED types. This is usually driven by the time of year. Spring=lots of dumb ones...Fall=you better be on your game.

My 'yotes go to Clown College.

I was out tonight, walking (Ranger at the dealer for its initial 25-hour service). I stalked to a nearby hay field in between a couple of cattle pastures where I've had some good luck. Setup shop in a corner with shade (moon is insanely bright tonight!) Waited a while. Nada. Not a peep.

Walked back home. Got 300 yards from my house and from the SAME DAMN FIELD came a large pack laughing their collective asses off at the Big Dumb Hoomahn. I walked there with $60K in world-class thermal and the damned quadrupeds are telling jokes to each other about me right behind my back. I made a beeline back there, but... surprise! Nada again.

I really suck at this 'yote hunting crap. 😋

My 'yotes go to Clown College.

I was out tonight, walking (Ranger at the dealer for its initial 25-hour service). I stalked to a nearby hay field in between a couple of cattle pastures where I've had some good luck. Setup shop in a corner with shade (moon is insanely bright tonight!) Waited a while. Nada. Not a peep.

Walked back home. Got 300 yards from my house and from the SAME DAMN FIELD came a large pack laughing their collective asses off at the Big Dumb Hoomahn. I walked there with $60K in world-class thermal and the damned quadrupeds are telling jokes to each other about me right behind my back. I made a beeline back there, but... surprise! Nada again.

I really suck at this 'yote hunting crap. 😋
    -
    Here .. walking the hayed fields right now and it been in 90's F. all week . It's just crunch crunch, crunch with every step on all the dry stubble . I dont even go out to open fields unless there very little to None on the Moon .
    It is also real hard to even hide when the moon is out in the cut fields . You can maybe get on the shady side of a big hay bale if they stacked out there . but there a lot of reflection of ambient . getting in and out harder to be efficient.

Yeah, for a change we've had a very WET summer here in North 'Bama. The fields are all moist and green, and this field is about 1-2 weeks away from 3rd cutting, so the grass is between thigh and waist high. Unfortunately, it's also a BEAR to wade through on foot -- almost like walking underwater through seaweed. Made worse by a torn LCL that got reconstructed at 0700 this morning. 🤬

• Wow
    Reactions: bullseye13
    Yeah, for a change we've had a very WET summer here in North 'Bama. The fields are all moist and green, and this field is about 1-2 weeks away from 3rd cutting, so the grass is between thigh and waist high. Unfortunately, it's also a BEAR to wade through on foot -- almost like walking underwater through seaweed. Made worse by a torn LCL that got reconstructed at 0700 this morning. 🤬
    If you're hunting thigh and waist high stuff, you will not succeed very often.

I’ve always good luck with a rabbit squeal call; old fashioned mouth verity none of the electronics.

I've been looking for a good thermal scope for night time calling, so I can't answer your question about night calling, but during the day, it really depends on the time of year. When they are pairing up to breed; dog calls work well. When the young ones have left the den, just about anything will work on them.

I have tried a ton of calls, but it seems like when I look back at my data, most come into a jack rabbit call of one sort or the other at about the 18 minute point on average (fairly wide range here though). Plus who knows about all the ones that have seen or smelled me that I never saw So we have a saying that I got from the OneilOps guy. PTFR. Play The F*****g Rabbit!

Of note, I had a rooster I was trying to get rid of for a while and had no takers. I really thought about trying to bring him out there and staking him to the ground with about 6' of line zip tied to one leg. Of course the wife and other animal lovers wouldn't like that, so I never officially did it. But if I had then it would have resulted in about a 60% success rate per stand! Of course it's a little bit of a pain to haul a chicken around, but hey, sometimes success takes work.

I've been looking for a good thermal scope for night time calling, so I can't answer your question about night calling, but during the day, it really depends on the time of year. When they are pairing up to breed; dog calls work well. When the young ones have left the den, just about anything will work on them.

I have tried a ton of calls, but it seems like when I look back at my data, most come into a jack rabbit call of one sort or the other at about the 18 minute point on average (fairly wide range here though). Plus who knows about all the ones that have seen or smelled me that I never saw So we have a saying that I got from the OneilOps guy. PTFR. Play The F*****g Rabbit!

Of note, I had a rooster I was trying to get rid of for a while and had no takers. I really thought about trying to bring him out there and staking him to the ground with about 6' of line zip tied to one leg. Of course the wife and other animal lovers wouldn't like that, so I never officially did it. But if I had then it would have resulted in about a 60% success rate per stand! Of course it's a little bit of a pain to haul a chicken around, but hey, sometimes success takes work.

Interesting on the Jackrabbit call. Do you play it multiple times, or just the once? If so, at about what intervals? I’m not waiting long enough. I stick around at one spot for 5-15 minutes, then move to another field. I figure my ‘yotes must be confused as hell, because I’ll use a female call, wait 5-10 minutes, move a mile down the road, and play the same call. They’re probably like “WTF?! That bitch moves FAST!”

Interesting on the Jackrabbit call. Do you play it multiple times, or just the once? If so, at about what intervals? I’m not waiting long enough. I stick around at one spot for 5-15 minutes, then move to another field. I figure my ‘yotes must be confused as hell, because I’ll use a female call, wait 5-10 minutes, move a mile down the road, and play the same call. They’re probably like “WTF?! That bitch moves FAST!”

I usually play it for 3-5 minutes and then give it a break for about 5 minutes. Keep in mind I'm in New Mexico, so we actually have jack rabbits. Might not work so well in other areas.

Reactions: SDBguy95
    I'll share whats worked for me and let you decide if you legally can or would want to try it. Will preface I have zero NV/Thermal gear, I'm young which lets my way be manageable for me, but financially limits by gear options.

Went after seasonally them in the late fall to early spring, one because of my tactic and two the grain fields are too tall for any during the growing season. I've only tried this past twilight on very bright nights with snow on the ground giving light but at one spot where I was in the shadow of a barn with equipment to break up my silhouette further.

Calls that have worked for me were howls to bring them in. Prey calls, mainly rabbits and pheasants, to keep them searching, and pup distress to get them to stop and stay. Used a friends little foxpro and a rabbit mouth call.

Tactic is fill up a bucket with butcher scraps and water. Let it sit in a freezer for a few days to solidify and stick it in a hole that's dug. Kinda worked it like I did with bear baiting, minus the barrel. Once they know they have a free source of food, they'd keep coming back with only about a 2-4 week delay on any particular spot if I missed one or they had a buddy watching.

In my neck of the woods they are 1. smarter than i am ( prob. the case), 2. not hungry, or 3. a mythical made up creature that does not exist ( plausible)

I ve seen the tracks, seen the fawns chewed up, tried cheap calls, tried friends fox pros, some ground hog kills, tried some unethical tactics, i know they don't see me or smell me, and yet they wont come out of the woods. Short of tying a cat to a tree i dont believe there's a good call and those damn dogs piss me off more than anything. I stay up all night on multiple occasions cause they are to damn elusive here. Ive given up and started knitting sweaters instead !!! rant over. Ill be following to see what people say works haha

• Haha
    Reactions: bullseye13
    In my neck of the woods they are 1. smarter than i am ( prob. the case), 2. not hungry, or 3. a mythical made up creature that does not exist ( plausible)

I ve seen the tracks, seen the fawns chewed up, tried cheap calls, tried friends fox pros, some ground hog kills, tried some unethical tactics, i know they don't see me or smell me, and yet they wont come out of the woods. Short of tying a cat to a tree i dont believe there's a good call and those damn dogs piss me off more than anything. I stay up all night on multiple occasions cause they are to damn elusive here. Ive given up and started knitting sweaters instead !!! rant over. Ill be following to see what people say works haha
    They are smarter than us when it comes to how they check the wind on their home turf. Guaranteed the wind is giving you away. They are a frustrating animal to hunt. Some people make it look easy, but those people know how the coyotes use the terrain to check the wind of your set.

Reactions: LibertyArms
    Ive tried checking the wind, tried trees, tried a blind, hell i went as far as cutting a hole in the side of the barn and hid in there 100+ yards from the call, cross wind from it as well... lol. I cant win. I dont think there is enough of them around me and they are covering to much ground ? sneaky bastards i tell ya.

Ive tried checking the wind, tried trees, tried a blind, hell i went as far as cutting a hole in the side of the barn and hid in there 100+ yards from the call, cross wind from it as well... lol. I cant win. I dont think there is enough of them around me and they are covering to much ground ? sneaky bastards i tell ya.

My advise, and maybe you'vet tried it, take a loud electric call set to howl and travel around at sunset and see if you get any returns. Might just be trying in a spot they don't like. It's how I found two of my spots, then tracked down the land owners and asked if I could hunt them.

Edit: give each spot 20-30 mins for activity. Howl wait 10min, howl again and wait another 10-15 min.

My partner and I kill around 150 or so a season. Everything is night killed and 95% called in.

We have fox pro, lucky duck, icotec and on a rare occasion use a mouth call.

When calling use the 3 F’s. They want to fight, fuck or feed. Figure out which they want to do and use that to your advantage. Encroachment of territory by a coyote or pair of coyotes will likely bring them in to see who’s fucking around their turf. They will still have a tendency to protect their young this time of year even tho they are getting bigger. Den Raid and kiyi sounds are effective and can be effective all year.

Starting out a set we typically run a low distress like nutty nuthatch to see if anything is close we didn’t pick up scanning. After that we go straight to vocals and get ready to rain hell upon thy heathens.

Hope this helps

Another thing is that the coyote aren't going to sit there and wait for you to get out of your UTV(I know you've just surgery ) to get shot.
    You need to have different stands for different wind directions and/or take special care in de scenting your gear.
    In tall grass, you need to get elevated. So maybe sell some of those thermal toys and buy a 4x4 scissor lift ?
    If the dogs in your area are constantly harassed, that's going to make it even harder to call them in.
    If that's the case, you need to wait until their thinking with the wrong head to have a better chance at them.

Just picked up the Foxpro X2S this spring, but have only called 6 or 7 spots with it so far. Of the 3 spots that I had any response to, I knew where they were denned up on 2 of them. The X2S and other fox pros have a feature called fox fusion where you can stack two sounds together, and stacking a coyote pair vocal with a pup distress seems to get them talking back anyways. This weekend I set up on in a pasture about a half mile away from where I've had some coyotes located (I figure kind of in a territory border) and played some challenge calls, then the calls (coyote duet, and coyote duet 2) out of fox pros premium sound packs. This brought a pair in to what I would guess is under 200 yards (wouldn't come around the trees 😡) where they set up making racket back at us. I'm no pro, but I'm slowly starting to get the feeling that if I go out and try different things, even on the same night and set, I'll learn a little each time.

I’ve always good luck with a rabbit squeal call; old fashioned mouth verity none of the electronics.
    Same here. I've had the best luck mimicking a distressed rabbit When I hunted them in NM and up here in the PNW.

Reactions: BOISCOID
    Same here. I've had the best luck mimicking a distressed rabbit When I hunted them in NM and up here in the PNW.

winter time with snow on the ground, I had one come running at my buddy and I full sprint from a mouth squeal. Fog was horrendous, next to no visibility. The dog came up the hog back out of the fog and my buddy dropped him at a distance easily inside of 25 yards. Made grabbing and pulling him out almost as easy as bringing him in.
    92BA77BC-6DE5-4CD4-8F0F-4EC3C6BC0407.jpeg

Always play the wind.

Be overly cautious about the noise you make.

Wait 15-30 minutes before calling.

Don't call too much or too loud.

Start a stand with some lip squeaks, 30 seconds to a minute of distress then 10 mins of waiting, repeat with increased volume. I've tried a bunch of e calls but came back to mouth calls. I do still run my fox pro decoy spinner.

Was out two nights ago...

Drove the Ranger to my standard first stop — the ~100 acre hay field 500 yards from my house. It’s waist-high now, but there’s a small “hump” that gets me above field level. I get to my spot when all of a sudden all the heads of a LARGE pack pop up as soon as I kill the engine — 50-60 frickin’ yards away!!!

They’re all just frozen there, looking at me. I scramble to get my rifle and turn the ReapIR 60mm on. I’m banging the rifle around, making sure I smack it against EVERY FRICKIN’ METAL POST in the damn UTV in the process of getting it out!

I get it up, get the ReapIR turned on, give it a quick NUC, look through the scope, can only see a ghost image because the PIECE OF CRAP BUTLER CREEK CAP flipped itself open before the NUC — seriously, BC stuff is incredible crap. I re-NUC holding the cap closed, but all the heads are gone. I scan with my dual Skeets, but don’t see nuttin. Grab the call and hit female yote. Sends them all running AWAY at full speed.

Didn’t get nuttin’ in spite of being almost run over by a pack of 8-10.

Only I could go coyote hunting with $100K of the best NV and thermal gear the world has to offer, get surprised by a pile of yotes close enough to hit with a tossed rock, and not get off a shot.

That’s the story of my life captured in a single moment of time. Right there.

Last edited:

Drove the Ranger into my standard first stop — the ~100 acre hay field 500 yards from my house. It’s waist-high now, but there’s a small “hump” that gets me above field level. I get to my spot when all of a sudden all the heads of a LARGE pack pop up as soon as I kill the engine — 50-60 frickin’ yards away!!!

They’re all just frozen there, looking at me. I scramble to get my rifle and turn the ReapIR 60mm on. I’m banging the rifle around, making sure I smack it against EVERY FRICKIN’ METAL POST in the damn UTV in the process of getting it out!

I get it up, get the ReapIR turned on, give it a quick NUC, look through the scope, can only see a ghost image because the PIECE OF CRAP BUTLER CREEK CAP flipped itself open before the NUC — seriously, BC stuff is incredible crap. I re-NUC holding the cap closed, but all the heads are gone. I scan with my dual Skeets, but don’t see nuttin. Grab the call and hit female yote. Sends them all running AWAY at full speed.

Maybe you should try night vision.

Drove the Ranger into my standard first stop — the ~100 acre hay field 500 yards from my house. It’s waist-high now, but there’s a small “hump” that gets me above field level. I get to my spot when all of a sudden all the heads of a LARGE pack pop up as soon as I kill the engine — 50-60 frickin’ yards away!!!

Only I could go coyote hunting with $100K of the best NV and thermal gear the world has to offer, get surprised by a pile of yotes close enough to hit with a tossed rock, and not get off a shot.

That’s the story of my life captured in a single moment of time. Right there.
    This is deja vu for me....just swap the coyotes for hogs. Makes the times when everything goes right that much more enjoyable.....at least that’s what I tell myself😁Get back out there, it will come together right.

One of my neighbors has her rifle mounted to her UTV. I think her kill rate has gone up significantly. Maybe try that so you don't have to get out.

Horta, you still unable to walk?

My yote success climbed drastically while patrolling on foot, and if in a vehicle, leave that sucker idling. Gives you good cover and rarely scares things away in proximity, also keeps them inquisitive.

You need to mow, rake and bail that field...

I’m still refining my “process.” 😋

I’ve been going out with different toys trying different things. I don’t like the ReapIR 60 v2. I definitely prefer the Halo-LR. I thought I’d like the joystick control, in theory anyway, but in practice it is inferior. I just want to be able to turn it on, NUC it, and pop the front lens cover open — all quickly and without looking. That’s extremely difficult with the Reap and extremely simple with the Halo.

I do NOT like manually NUCing. It sucks hairy chocolate balls. That’s my biggest gripe with running dual Skeets — always be NUCing. Also my problem with most weapon scopes and clip-ons. Only the L3 stuff and ChinaSkeets eliminate that craziness. ALL the BAE/Trijicon stuff is manual NUC, which SUCKS for the UTC, because that might be a mile away on the tip of your heavy rifle.

I’m REALLY excited to receive the TigIR. I’m trying not to get my hopes up too high. However, if it’s 80-90% of a UTC, smaller, lighter, and has an internal shutter, that just might become my Holy Grail optic.

The internal shitter / auto-NUC of the LWTS-LR and CRATOS make life glorious. With the LR, you don’t need a day optic, which is fantastic. I’m seriously considering running with that. However, the Halo makes NUCing super-easy, and with the Vortex cap, life is good.

If I’m being 100% honest, all of the unobtanium stuff is cool and grants forum bragging rights, and it definitely puts a smile on my face, but give me a killer PVS-14/Vyper plus MH25 ChinaSkeet in “dual band” along with a Halo-LR and that gives me every tool anyone could possibly need to get the job done absolutely 100% as well as a set of $100K thermal fusion Panos and INOD / UTC / HISS.

Sometimes K.I.S.S. really is the best approach.

Reactions: Jgunner
    What is max mag on the Tigir supposed to be? I thought 3-4x.

What is max mag on the Tigir supposed to be? I thought 3-4x.

Andres originally designed the TigIR to to be used with Elcans, so 4/6x is what they state in their literature. However, I “know a guy” — a German SF dude who works directly with Andres in product development — who said they run it in front of their SB Ultra Shorts out to 10-12x just fine and have been using it successfully out to 1,000-meters.

We’re about to see for ourselves. If that’s the case, we’re talking direct UTC-Xii competitor. Cautious optimism.

ETA: This is also why I’ve had a WTB in the PX for an SB 3-20 Ultra Short for the last two weeks. However, I just happened to coincidentally stumble into a surprisingly sweet little Leupy Mark 5HD 3.6-18x44 in H59 that should do equally as well. So umma gonna run wit dat yo (and I won’t feel so bad rattle-canning a lowly $2K Leupold).

Last edited:
    I hunt coyotes with pretty damn good success off of hog carcasses. You can't do it at night with a thermal in this state (yet, hoping), but it works great at dusk and dawn.

@TheHorta, if you need some pig meat, let me know...not sure how far you're willing to come get it though.