• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Carbon barrel manufacturers?

Joko111

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2021
Maryland
Looking to get a 300wsm barrel and I am having trouble picking between carbon 6, proof, and bartline. Any guidance is welcome

Proof and carbon 6 are close IME, but I've had more proofs than c6. The Bartleins tend to shoot more consistently but are much thicker steel under the carbon and are likewise much heavier for the same contour.

Proof, CarbonSix, Preferred, Bartlein, and Christensen are the big ones.

Personally, I'd go Proof or CarbonSix.

Reactions: Joko111
You go carbon for weight savings. No reason to get a bartlien carbon. If you want a Bart just get their steel barrel.

Proof gets my money for my new 22 creedmoor, fwiw

I have a Proof waiting in the wings for the last couple years, sitting new in the box waiting for me to burnout the barrel in my custom .25-06AI. And I have a @CarbonSix on order for my .25 Creedmoor build. I also have 5 (4x centerfire, 1x rimfire) Christensen carbon barreled rifles, and they all shoot great.

No shade thrown at Christensen, I just think if going aftermarket the Proof and CarbonSix are a slightly more refined barrel. Now, if @christensenarms were to upgrade their barrels to 5R rifling, and more modern twist rates with a lot more length options from 16" to 26", then I'd have no problems recommending them, too. I think that would be a good move for them in their factory rifle offerings, as well. I also think if they were to open up their barrel shop as a custom order deal making prefits for aftermarket actions, that would be a smart business move, as well.

Benchmark or Helix6(they use benchmark blanks) Pederson Precision in Wisconsin carbon wraps Mullerworks and Rock Creek blanks, I've had good luck with all the above. My last Bartlein 6mm carbon walks horizontal till it's hot, then after 8-10 shots, shoots lil tiny groups. I know 3 other guys experience the same thing in last 6 months. Proof is good if you get a good one, have had a few with inconsistent land heights and one with a tight bore. Everyone makes a bad barrel from time to time. I have a few proof 6cm carbon prefits that hammer, but that's a 6mm for ya. My ruger American 6cm shoots small, that chamber is crooked and barrel looks like it was rifled with a hack saw blade.

Anyone try the patriot valley osprey carbon barrels? I just ordered a proof for my next 223 barrel but was curious about the PVA

I have a 22” 300 wsm carbon 6 prefit custom throated for 212s. It shoots pretty good (see below). I have had 3 proof prefit barrels, one of them is CF. It is consistently half MOA. The two other shoot great too. My buddy has a proof CF 6.5 creed prefit as well and his shoots great.

Elk heart at 630 yards with the 300 wsm
IMG_3787.jpeg

I have benchmark and bartlien. I prefer the benchmark. They are a little lighter and I prefer the look of them. My 4 benchmark chambered by TS customs shoot tiny groups and can easily shoot 5 shot groups with no walking, like you hear about with a lot of carbon barrels

I have a few Proof’s and a bunch of Barlein's. The Proofs are lighter and if it matters my most consistently accurate barrel is one my of Proof Barrels.

My last Bartlein 6mm carbon walks horizontal till it's hot, then after 8-10 shots, shoots lil tiny groups. I know 3 other guys experience the same thing in last 6 months.
Well crap, that's not what I want to hear. About to have one cut.

Well crap, that's not what I want to hear. About to have one cut.
Yeah, this was my issue, ran a 10 shot warm up, shots 4-8 look good, but 9-10 walked more. Then shot 3 more 3 shots groups, 2 of which are a different load, the the last 3 shot was the original ammo used to do the heat up. I repeated this test two more times alternating the heat up load, and the results were the same every time. I think I did a more thorough evaluation than the other guys I know that had walking poi, but I had to know it was truly the barrel and not something else.
20230912_121806.jpg

I've had good luck with X Caliber barrels.
Those aren't wrapped in the traditional sense, it's more of a sleeving process (that they stole from a gunsmith who was in the process of patenting it).

Benchmark, hells canyon and ibi have been great from the ones I own or seen. Be happy to buy either of these.

Yeah, that’s pretty significant. Did Bartlein comment? How old are these blanks?
All within last 12 months. 224, pair of 6mms, and a 6.5, their comments were they're too busy to get to them at the moment. Ukrainian Jews are taking all their QC time up. Literally said the stuff going on oversees has them too busy to check their bad barrel. I've already replaced the barrel, I'll never touch a Bart barrel again.

That's too bad. It's a little surprising that they won't at least start working with you now to get you squared away, even if it takes them a while.

I have the CFW & a steel blank that they produced in the last 6 months... fingers crossed.

I've had Christensen, Proof and Carbon Six. I only have Proof Carbon barrels these days and I have had no issues to report. Proof will continue to get my business.

That's too bad. It's a little surprising that they won't at least start working with you now to get you squared away, even if it takes them a while.

I have the CFW & a steel blank that they produced in the last 6 months... fingers crossed.

Bartlien says their lead time on orders is 6-12 months. That's wild. I'll not be ordering their 400bb steel or whatever

I was quoted 8 months, received my CFW 400ModBB just few days over 3 months from order date

Reactions: tex68w
if this gunsmith was actually in the process of patenting it, he would be protected
That's true. He ended up dropping the application process for mostly unrelated reasons, but I think the whole thing discouraged him.

Did BSF steal it too? What about the countless other places that use tensioned barrels?
I probably shouldn't have mentioned it, since he's never gone public with it. BSF is unrelated, but X-Caliber started offering their product after the smith in question had their employees visit his shop where he walked them through his process as part of a prospective business deal.

I wasn't involved but the whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth where X-Caliber is concerned.

I probably shouldn't have mentioned it, since he's never gone public with it. BSF is unrelated, but X-Caliber started offering their product after the smith in question had their employees visit his shop where he walked them through his process as part of a prospective business deal.

I wasn't involved but the whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth where X-Caliber is concerned.
Is said smith in Lewiston, ID?

All within last 12 months. 224, pair of 6mms, and a 6.5, their comments were they're too busy to get to them at the moment. Ukrainian Jews are taking all their QC time up. Literally said the stuff going on oversees has them too busy to check their bad barrel. I've already replaced the barrel, I'll never touch a Bart barrel again.
@Frank Green ???

Proof and carbon 6 are close IME, but I've had more proofs than c6. The Bartleins tend to shoot more consistently but are much thicker steel under the carbon and are likewise much heavier for the same contour.
Spot on w my experience… if you are looking for carbon because of weight I’d go w C6 if you don’t care about weight and are just looking for the asstetics, go Bartlein..