• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Chassis to grow with a six year old--- Is it the XLR Envy

diverdon

Constitutionalist, by choice
Minuteman
  • Dec 21, 2011
    WNY
    I ordered three ARC Nucleus configured for .223. One is for me and one is for my six year old and one is for my eight year old. I need something that will fit a six/eight year old and will grow with them until adult hood. I'm thinking I want something that will not require further investment but has enough adjustment built in. https://xlrindustries.com/products/envy-chassis this is about the only thing I've seen that will work. Are there any other ideas I should be considering?

Another thing I need to decide and I'm interested in thoughts from those knowledgeable, should I get a safety? Or is it just better to teach not to chamber a round until the rifle is pointed down range and the decision has been made to fire, then raise the bolt handle should the need arise to make it safe.

Whatever chassis I pick is going to need two color cerecote. Pink and purple for my daughter, yellow and blue or green for my son and I dont know about mine yet. So I would be glad to hear about anyone who is likely to do a good job at a good price on that.

MPA makes a youth stock with shorter LOP, think you can get them with custom cerakote as well.

as for safety question.. both. teach them weapon and muzzle safety, but use the safety also.

XLR Envy or Element for sure. If you have to really really shorten the LOP then just pick up the short xlr buffer tube and AR cheek piece. The short tube can be used with a folding adapter later on. Check out Brandon aka short bus for paint work. He is good to go and should be able to fix you up color/camo for each of your kids. His web site is customguncoatings.com

MPA makes a youth stock with shorter LOP, think you can get them with custom cerakote as well.

as for safety question.. both. teach them weapon and muzzle safety, but use the safety also.

Thanks, I did look at the MPA website, unless I am reading it wrong the youth model is only for the CZ-455. Do you see where you can get it for the 700SA?

XLR Envy or Element for sure. If you have to really really shorten the LOP then just pick up the short xlr buffer tube and AR cheek piece. The short tube can be used with a folding adapter later on. Check out Brandon aka short bus for paint work. He is good to go and should be able to fix you up color/camo for each of your kids. His web site is customguncoatings.com

Thank you, I appreciate the suggestion that I might need the Short buffer tube and the AR cheek piece. I will probably use Brandon if he is not too busy when the chassis come in.

Reactions: spooledup
    The youth model has a LOP of 10.5″ minimum and can be extended out to 11.75″ with the buttstock supplied with the chassis, or can go from 13.5-14.75 with the standard BA Lite buttstock (not included with the youth model chassis).

looks like the CZ youth chassis stock may be compatible with the BA Lite buttstock. give em a call and ask, can't hurt.

I spoke to Diz at Huber concepts today and got the triggers ordered. Stainless, two stage, RH safety, no bolt stop, 2.5 pounds. Very nice people easy to get ahold of.

XLR, so far they have been harder to get on the phone. Had to leave a message, now I have to wait by my notes and hope they will call back.

I'm a little sad that PVA never added the shouldered .223 barrel to their introductory group buy special. I would have loved to give them a try. As the barrel matter stands I'm torn between just going with a Criterion/Barloc or getting LRI to spin me up some shouldered barrels.

All KRG stocks have adjustable LOP from something like 12" to over 15.

I think that will work

My seven year old would probably grow into a 12 inch pretty quickly but yesterday when I put the tape on my five year old it looked like she needs a 10 inch.

I love the KRG's and the J Allen with its 13 inch lop but they I don't see how I can make them cut it for this project.

AB3B3F09-9E9A-4DF5-9A76-3ECCACA78D62.jpeg

MDT LSS stocks fit my boys rifles. They’re up to about 11.5” lop now but they’ve been great over the past few years. sowastrong.com or PM if you’re still shopping certified Cerakote shops, my full time side gig. Matt

Reactions: diverdon
    View attachment 6870326
    MDT LSS stocks fit my boys rifles. They’re up to about 11.5” lop now but they’ve been great over the past few years. sowastrong.com or PM if you’re still shopping certified Cerakote shops, my full time side gig. Matt

Those look awesome. Who did the cerecote?

I bought an AR with a collapsible stock for my tiny tyrannosaur. Short enough he can shoot it, but long enough I can shoot it. I will second the suggestion(s) including AR components. But, unless I was trying to sneak a new rifle past the warden, I don't think I would give any consideration to a 6 year old's LOP. Interests are so much in flux at that age that a dedicated rifle may not be a good investment. Then again, I'm just speaking about me and my kids... My older son loves to shoot; my younger couldn't care less. Both could change tomorrow.

Manners just released a new stock at shot that adjusts from 10.5-13.5
    I believe it is a T4 shape and they may have an adjustable cheek for it soon. It was well done as most everything they do is. Thought it was a little funny at first but it cuts out a little weight and is very functional and the more I messed with it the more I liked it

I would go with a MDT LSS + a battle link buttstock(including adjustable cheekpiece), or something similar.

/Baner

I did an MDT with an XLR buttstock. Wrench adjustable to fit my nine year old perfectly or myself in less than a minute.
    Yup same thing here with both XLR and mdt chassis but both using XLR buttstocks. Very quick to adjust as needed especially with a couple witness marks of were things are setup for different shooters.

My seven year old would probably grow into a 12 inch pretty quickly but yesterday when I put the tape on my five year old it looked like she needs a 10 inch.

Did you get any spec ranges on the LOP for the XLR with and without the shorter buffer tube on a non-folder?
    I couldn't seem to find them and this does sounds like a great setup for youth shooters growing fast.

To Recap I ordered three of the Nucleus actions within minutes of when Ted announced that they would work with .223. I ordered Huber two stage triggers to go with them. And now I have ordered barrels in .223 Wylde from PVA, thanks for the $50 per barrel discount! I have a good quote from my preferred optics supplier for the Vortex 3-18 GenII Mil with the EBR-2C, I just need them to give me a final price on the ARC M10 mounts and I'll get that order in. I have ordered the new Atlas bipods on Kasey's group buy.

Next I'm going to have to narrow down exactly what chassis I'm going to use and get that on order so that I can get it off to paint. Ill need to finalize colors and instructions for the painter. (That is not as easy as it sounds.) Hopefully when I order the chassis I will be able to get the mag at the same time. This is one of the advantages of MDT, they offer both the chassis and the mag. When ted lists the action wrench I'll need to order one of them.

I think I will be able to hold the barrel in a 5C collet in a tool room lathe then torque the action on to 75 foot pounds with the action wrench. I'll have to test a piece of round stock in the collet to make sure it does not turn under that much torque.

I should get a sling for each rifle, and think about getting the kids their own foam box to haul it around in. Padom has some recommendation on another thread on loading .223, I should study them and order some bullets and powder. I do have .223 dies but they are set up in a square deal and I use them to make plinking ammo. It might be a good time to get some better dies for the single stage press.

My sincere appreciation to all who have provided usefull advice on this thread.

Did you get any spec ranges on the LOP for the XLR with and without the shorter buffer tube on a non-folder?
    I couldn't seem to find them and this does sounds like a great setup for youth shooters growing fast.
    https://xlrindustries.com/collections/buttstocks/products/tactical-butt-stock

On their homepage click products-select buttstocks then click each buttstock and the text on the right tells the LOP range for that buttstock. In some cases it can be further shortened bu selecting a "short buffer tube" but you either have to know how to do this or get them on the phone.

Reactions: Midwestside
    My Son loves Construction equipment that looks like this so for his I will ask the painter to put the colors yellow and black in these proportions.
    WheelLoader_744KII_LeftFacing_r4a040067_large_e9883eb2f2bafc6e21abeb2dfa43a89232b887fd.jpg

Reactions: Steel head
    To Recap I ordered three of the Nucleus actions within minutes of when Ted announced that they would work with .223. I ordered Huber two stage triggers to go with them. And now I have ordered barrels in .223 Wylde from PVA, thanks for the $50 per barrel discount! I have a good quote from my preferred optics supplier for the Vortex 3-18 GenII Mil with the EBR-2C, I just need them to give me a final price on the ARC M10 mounts and I'll get that order in. I have ordered the new Atlas bipods on Kasey's group buy.

Next I'm going to have to narrow down exactly what chassis I'm going to use and get that on order so that I can get it off to paint. Ill need to finalize colors and instructions for the painter. (That is not as easy as it sounds.) Hopefully when I order the chassis I will be able to get the mag at the same time. This is one of the advantages of MDT, they offer both the chassis and the mag. When ted lists the action wrench I'll need to order one of them.

I think I will be able to hold the barrel in a 5C collet in a tool room lathe then torque the action on to 75 foot pounds with the action wrench. I'll have to test a piece of round stock in the collet to make sure it does not turn under that much torque.

I should get a sling for each rifle, and think about getting the kids their own foam box to haul it around in. Padom has some recommendation on another thread on loading .223, I should study them and order some bullets and powder. I do have .223 dies but they are set up in a square deal and I use them to make plinking ammo. It might be a good time to get some better dies for the single stage press.

My sincere appreciation to all who have provided usefull advice on this thread.
    What chassis did you go with? How how did it workout? I'm in the same boat with my 7 and 8 old

What chassis did you go with? How how did it workout? I'm in the same boat with my 7 and 8 old
    Andy, we went with the MDT LSS. I got the version where the adjustable butt mounts to a buffer tube. You can get them with different length tubes, and if the shortest is still a bit long they are easily cut to any desired length.

I have no complaints on the stocks. It's unfortunate that the rifles don't get a lot of use because of the amount of time we are busy with other things.

Reactions: AndyMan87
    How did you mount the XLR buttstock tonthe LSS? Is there an adapter of some sort? I am trying to get my LSS to fit myb6 and 9yo's

I skipped the chassis and went with a Manners CS-2...you could get it with a mini-chassis if so desired, though. The LOP on that gun works equally well for my son and for me and the adjustments are rock solid. Would get it with a cheek riser in retrospect. The whole thing goes about 2.75 lbs as is...so, might be more weight than you want. Otherwise, would say that's probably my favorite platform I've tried so far.

How did you mount the XLR buttstock tonthe LSS? Is there an adapter of some sort? I am trying to get my LSS to fit myb6 and 9yo's
    I just cut the tube with a chopsaw. It worked great.

WELL???

pics man!
    haha.

I just ordered a 22" long 223 bareled action throated for 80 gr bergers from Kelblys for my 9 y old.

I ordered the XLR Element magnesium 4.0 with built in arca. insane light. also got weight kit that can add like 4 lbs.

I also have an lss and like it but sold it in favor of the xl once I had both next to ea other. wish I got a pic.

Stock arived in blue from xlr last month. Waiting on the barreled action.

also have a 2 stage huber on my desk I plan to use.

GL
    DT

The MPA youth buttstock can be added to any chassis and then you can either add a folder to increase LOP or swap to adult.

XLR used to have 2 different length tubes.... no need to cut them. The shorter tube was used on their folder.